Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,982  
For the most part, European cars never made much headway in the US, except for Volvo and the British Sportscars (MG, Triumph).
Although, IMHO, as long as they were properly maintained, they were quite reliable.

Outside of the Germans, Europe has never made a good car and I’ll die on that hill. Some would argue Ferrari but as my uncle who was an engineer for GM once told me, anyone can make a great car for $300k, what’s hard is making one for 50.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,983  
The French is on the ball, Renault has had great success with EVs, Zoe and Kangoo small commercial vehicle for many years so tjæjey have experience in this field.

Peugeot and Citroen has to a lesser grade been so early adopters but are now ramping up models and sale. Have owned German, Swedish, French and Japanese cars over the years and it is not much difference in quality. Non of them has failed to take me home and it has been few repairs I didn't ask for as I did run several of them in to the ground with almost no maintenance and care.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,984  
Outside of the Germans, Europe has never made a good car and I’ll die on that hill. Some would argue Ferrari but as my uncle who was an engineer for GM once told me, anyone can make a great car for $300k, what’s hard is making one for 50.
Then you die on that hill, how many European cars did you own to make that claim?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,985  
The French is on the ball, Renault has had great success with EVs, Zoe and Kangoo small commercial vehicle for many years so tjæjey have experience in this field.

Peugeot and Citroen has to a lesser grade been so early adopters but are now ramping up models and sale. Have owned German, Swedish, French and Japanese cars over the years and it is not much difference in quality. Non of them has failed to take me home and it has been few repairs I didn't ask for as I did run several of them in to the ground with almost no maintenance and care.
The French cars were always considered "quirky". Never owned one, but I always thought the Citroen DS series were good cars with very poor dealership support.
The Peugeots were probably the most successful of any French car imported in to the US

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,986  
Owned several Citroens with hydro suspension, a very easy system to work on, but the only thing I changed was the hydraulic spheres, those are the spring/shock absorber on each wheel, in the front it tok 3 minutes, 15 on the rear. The ting with a lot of eurocars are that you must follow the book, random wrenching might not be an good idea.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,987  
The broader background is that our (Western, for the most part) "leaders" decided to eradicate manufacturing decades ago.

Detroit has never really been interested in building low-end affordable vehicles. Aside from Tesla, what makes the news here now ? F150E, MachE - that's about it.

I can't afford a toy (meaning - Just Fun) car, and a full-size truck that I can't drive non-stop across the continent doesn't make sense to me. But, that's Just Me....

Mandated EVs will accelerate this trend of declining manufacturing. People who can't or won't spend @ or near what a Tesla will cost will probably have to look off-shore.

I really don't want to have to pick from what PRC will be allowed/wants to send here for EVs, so I'll likely be shopping Korean if/when I do.

I'll be watching closely (nothing new there) what comes out of Japan, but as I'm old enough to find the CAD price of a modern Civic eye-watering (and, I generally liked the older Hondas), I'm not holding my breathe for a Japanese EV offering that hits my budget. I'm more interested in what happens there with Hydrogen.

May you Live In Interesting Times.....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,988  
The thing with a lot of eurocars are that you must follow the book, random wrenching might not be an good idea.
As Jay Leno puts it "You don't want Clive down at the Texaco station working on it". From back when..... gas stations were also full-service repair shops here.

:) Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,989  
For the most part, European cars never made much headway in the US, except for Volvo and the British Sportscars (MG, Triumph).
Haven't looked at the US #'s, but I see lots of Benzes, Audis and BMWs up here.

I agree with your other Euro flavour comments.

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,990  
I don't do TV nor do I think talking heads are powerful people.

GM CEO is getting a lot of attention from high places claiming GM is going to kill off ICE production by 2035.

Fossil fuels are not going away so you do not have to sell all of your oil stocks. EV production requires fossil fuel and will for perhaps centuries to come.
I remember in 2008 when Rick Wagoner CEO of GM predicted high gas prices for the foreseeable future and started building little cars. Then the recession hit and gas prices ended up at about $1. After that I stopped listening to GM CEOs

Status
Not open for further replies.