Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,991  
As Jay Leno puts it "You don't want Clive down at the Texaco station working on it". From back when..... gas stations were also full-service repair shops here.

:) Rgds, D.
Different brands have different engineering culture and history witch shows, and European brands may do thing very different from US/Asia and that will be very frustrating for mechanics that are very set in their ways. And of course here in Europe we know this and are used to it.

And to be honest, a lot of "independent" shops are not particularly good at anything, have been shocked talking to so call "professional" mechanics, I do have three years on school to become a car mechanic but I never did get into apprentice to complete my education so I am a amateur mechanic.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,992  
Haven't looked at the US #'s, but I see lots of Benzes, Audis and BMWs up here.

I agree with your other Euro flavour comments.

Rgds, D.
Good points!
M-B has been in the US quite a while, Audi's and Bimmers came in later
When I was growing up, M-B's were rather stodgy, except for the rare 300 series sportscars...I guess that dates me.
Always had a hankering for an M-B 300TD (Turbo Diesel), especially the station wagon version

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,993  
I remember in 2008 when Rick Wagoner CEO of GM predicted high gas prices for the foreseeable future and started building little cars. Then the recession hit and gas prices ended up at about $1. After that I stopped listening to GM CEOs
I remember in 2008 when Rick Wagoner CEO of GM predicted high gas prices for the foreseeable future and started building little cars. Then the recession hit and gas prices ended up at about $1. After that I stopped listening to GM CEOs
I try never to stop listing. I was taught a long time ago that a weatherman that is always wrong is about as good as a weatherman that is always right. :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,994  
Good points!
M-B has been in the US quite a while, Audi's and Bimmers came in later
When I was growing up, M-B's were rather stodgy, except for the rare 300 series sportscars...I guess that dates me
Here old MBs as the 123 and 124 series was considered good cheap work cars when they got old, easy to repair and cheap parts, suppose this was not the case in the US.

#5,995  

Sam talked about how some oems are giving up on staying in business.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,996  
Here old MBs as the 123 and 124 series was considered good cheap work cars when they got old, easy to repair and cheap parts, suppose this was not the case in the US.
No, never particularly inexpensive to buy or work on...I'd guess the 240D (might have been a different designation in Europe) was probably the least expensive to maintain as they rarely had problems.
If, way back when, more service stations sold diesel, the M-B 240 and 300 would probably been much more popular...probably used much more as taxis too. But not many Americans wanted to go to a truck stop to fill up

Update: The 240D was the 123 series

I owned a M-B 190 (gas engine) for a while...old man's car and I think I was in my 30's. Actually, a good vehicle...don't recall it ever leaving me stranded

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,997  

Sam talked about how some oems are giving up on staying in business.
This fellow is very in to Chinese EVs as the new and great, quit sure nobody is interested in giving away markeds to a government controlled Chinese trade attack on base industry.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,998  
This guy will put ALL vehicle manufacturers out of business. All of them..
_103330503_musk3.jpg

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,999  
No, never particularly inexpensive to buy or work on...I'd guess the 240D (might have been a different designation in Europe) was probably the least expensive to maintain as they rarely had problems.
If, way back when, more service stations sold diesel, the M-B 240 and 300 would probably been much more popular...probably used much more as taxis too. But not many Americans wanted to go to a truck stop to fill up

Update: The 240D was the 123 series
It was the 240d and 300d/300d turbo that was the work horse, parts for those were easy to get everywhere and quit cheap as this was the almost default Taxi.

#6,000  
Status
Not open for further replies.