Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,191  
That is part of the problem. Folks that don't recognize that government mandates about what we can no longer purchase with our own money are in fact trampling our rights.

It's not about "fear" or any other liberal double talk tripe. It's about the government (at any level) mandating from above what we are "allowed" to purchase with our own money. These are not items that the benign maternal government of all goodness are giving to us for free. These are durable goods that we are making decisions on spending our own money (what we haven't already turned over to the government in taxes) on.

When steam power, and then gas/diesel power first started taking over farming, transportation, etc, the government did not Mandate that we all stopped using horses. It was a case by case, consumer/citizen by individual citizen choice that was made based on what fit the specific consumer's needs and economics. My paternal great grandfather continued to farm with horses until after the end of WWII. It was his choice, his decision. It took until then for him to decide that a gas tractor was now in his own best interest to meet both his work needs, as well has his individual financial needs. Before that, he always considered tractors "too expensive". He didn't "fear" tractors. He decided he didn't want to pay what was to him, and exorbitant price for one.

These are the "rights" we are troubled with losing. And those of us that are "troubled" by this, are more troubled that it seems the large majority of people are so eager to give those rights away. Once rights are given up voluntarily, it is extremely difficult to get them back.

Of course the day will come when electric (or other) powered equipment will make more sense to most of the masses, and they will voluntarily "vote" with their wallets and go that way. But the technology, the infrastructure, and the cost to the individual will have to make sense to them to do so.

Commanding it to be so, by government orders, is not the way to accomplish that.
Like you, I am in favor of legalizing the sale of all drugs. The government has no business telling anyone what to do with their money. I'm sure the ladies support your stance on legalizing prostitution.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,192  
scenario #1 Going all in with solar and EV

Example.... What can I do with a new Ford F150 Lightning.

With whole house solar...
If you dont drive to work with your solar ev it charges all day on solar and whats not used it feeds back into the grid for a credit.
You come home and at sunset disconnect your home from the grid. Do everything you would normally do running power off your EV. Next day it goes through the cycle again costing nothing in grid supplied electricity.

If you do drive it during the day it charges when you get home using credit electricity from the solar panels charging all day. If you plug in later at night when electric power is cheaper.

Anyone have a scenario #2

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,193  
I can’t wait for the torque of electric trucks. I believe torque is the power behind accomplishing work more than just about anyone.
However, I want it to emerge organically, not forced on us. I want free markets to lay their goods out and let us chose who/what is better. I don’t want favoritism given to one over the other. Taxpayer funded charging stations infrastructure isn’t fair to fuel stops.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,194  
I'm not sure that Cat's electric truck will haul 500 lbs of diesel and 800 lbs of tools as well as him 150 miles on one charge. Maybe with an extended range battery. Only the future will tell.
The truck I have pre-ordered, with only a vague notion of if and when I can purchase it, is specced out with a range of 220(+) miles, and has a payload capacity of 1,800 pounds. My biggest concern is range loss in the winter. I work year round, outdoors, and my truck is outdoors when at work, and plugging it in won’t be an option. If I lose 50% of the range due to the cold, it won’t work for me. 30-40% loss due to extreme cold? Not an issue with my current arrangement.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,195  
That is part of the problem. Folks that don't recognize that government mandates about what we can no longer purchase with our own money are in fact trampling our rights.

It's not about "fear" or any other liberal double talk tripe. It's about the government (at any level) mandating from above what we are "allowed" to purchase with our own money. These are not items that the benign maternal government of all goodness are giving to us for free. These are durable goods that we are making decisions on spending our own money (what we haven't already turned over to the government in taxes) on.

When steam power, and then gas/diesel power first started taking over farming, transportation, etc, the government did not Mandate that we all stopped using horses. It was a case by case, consumer/citizen by individual citizen choice that was made based on what fit the specific consumer's needs and economics. My paternal great grandfather continued to farm with horses until after the end of WWII. It was his choice, his decision. It took until then for him to decide that a gas tractor was now in his own best interest to meet both his work needs, as well has his individual financial needs. Before that, he always considered tractors "too expensive". He didn't "fear" tractors. He decided he didn't want to pay what was to him, and exorbitant price for one.

These are the "rights" we are troubled with losing. And those of us that are "troubled" by this, are more troubled that it seems the large majority of people are so eager to give those rights away. Once rights are given up voluntarily, it is extremely difficult to get them back.

Of course the day will come when electric (or other) powered equipment will make more sense to most of the masses, and they will voluntarily "vote" with their wallets and go that way. But the technology, the infrastructure, and the cost to the individual will have to make sense to them to do so.

Commanding it to be so, by government orders, is not the way to accomplish that.
For me to reply intelligently will only send me on a vacation; but... I do believe you are cherry picking the "rights" you are so concerned about.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,196  
I can’t wait for the torque of electric trucks. I believe torque is the power behind accomplishing work more than just about anyone.
However, I want it to emerge organically, not forced on us. I want free markets to lay their goods out and let us chose who/what is better. I don’t want favoritism given to one over the other. Taxpayer funded charging stations infrastructure isn’t fair to fuel stops.
I agree... I'll trade you EV subsidies for oil / gas subsidies.

First, let’s consider just the direct subsidies for fossil fuel production—money that flows directly from the government to fossil fuel companies to support activities like exploration, extraction, and development. A conservative estimate from Oil Change International puts the U.S. total at around $20.5 billion annually, including $14.7 billion in federal subsidies and $5.8 billion in state-level incentives. A whopping 80 percent of this goes to oil and gas (with the rest supporting coal), and most of the subsidies are in the form of tax deductions and exemptions and other “obscure tax loopholes and accounting tricks” that result in massive avoided costs for fossil fuel producers.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,197  
I haven't seen an actual mandate that we MUST buy EVs. I'm also not bothered by building charging stations and improving the electrical grid. Lord knows we've given large subsidies to Big Oil and DIRTY Coal for a long time.

We will certainly see more sales of EVs year over year. Change will come. Our children will adapt, and many of us oldies will cling to the past.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,198  
What is being proposed now makes that stuff you posted look like a kids piggy bank.
20.5 billion is a rounding error…

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,199  

^^^^^^ well written

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,200  
Don't buy an EV if you don't want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.