Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,442  
Doughknob, I think EVs are past the point that they need a helping hand for a few reasons. The most obvious is that Teslas aren't heavily subsidized anymore, aren't cheap, and yet still have lines out the door waiting for vehicles. Less obvious is that EVs have proven to be cheaper in the long run for some use cases. Once something makes sense on its own merits, it no longer needs a helping hand.

I believe EV mandating EVs may cause unintended problems in several ways, but the easiest to explain is to look at the diagram of what comes out of a barrel of oil and imagine a world where ICEVs are banned. Without ICEVs, gasoline is worthless and something to be disposed of, not sold. If gasoline is a little less than half of a barrel of oil and you have to pay to dispose of it then only about half the barrel is sold so the price of what does get sold doubles.

So diesel and heating oil becomes over $6/gal. Big agricultural equipment won't be going EV any time soon, so the fuel cost doubles. In Alberta that means a 5-10% increase is crop prices. But everything else that goes into farming is made of, with, or moved by oil. The lubricants for all that equipment goes up. Tires cost more.

In this EV-only world, people still burn fossil fuels for heat and electricity (which we'll at least twice as much of!). So natural gas prices rise to match fuel oil prices on an energy basis. One critical thing made out of natural gas? Fertilizer, which will get much more expensive. So food prices rise again.

Marine shipping becomes more expensive as bunker fuel doubles in price. The feedstock for plastics double in cost. Because of that, parts cost more.

Taxes need to increase to pay for the more expensive asphalt to keep the roads up. Roads which degrade faster because EVs are heavier. Of course it's unreasonable to assume maintenance will keep up when materials are more expensive and the damage more frequent.

So where does this leave our poor person? Driving a $10k EV (no $1k ICEV junkers left) which goes through tires faster because the car weighs more, the pavement is rougher, and the suspension is worn from the bad roads. They need this car to get to work where they pay more taxes than now for less services in order to keep more expensive food on their table and pay their astronomical heating bill to keep the pipes just above freezing.

But EV passenger vehicles are cheaper than ICEVs to drive, so why would anybody make the connection? I mean, food and fuel prices would come down if only that large equipment were changed to use electricity, right?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#6,443  
This was so much hippy-dippy BS!
Reminds me of some of the stoned out "discussions" from my youth...

Some missed new scientific advancements while stoned out perhaps. :)

As you can realize from listening to this presentation EVS are just a short-term stepping stone transportation solution.

More about quantum entanglement mentioned above.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,444  
I always though supply and demand drives prices. If demand for crude is less because the majority of vehicles don't run on it, wouldn't it be cheaper? Seems some people in the thread have it backwards.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#6,445  
Yes but we're probably looking at 2040 2050 before crude usage would drop a huge amount. The push back on lithium ion battery technology is already developing.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,446  
Same reason we have Corporate Welfare...... The Golden Rule.

Rgds, D.
Yeah, well, here’s a chance to buck that trend. Why make poor people subsidize rich people’s toys of virtue
Its wrong.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,447  
If I trusted any battery to be as useful as the 70 year old IC engine in the Fordson, I would have one.

But you can't just clean the points and put $10 worth of electricity into a dead battery and get the thing to run.

Maybe some day... Fortunately, by the estimates, we have another 500 years of petroleum in the ground beneath us.

That old Fordson might just be running till then.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,448  
I always though supply and demand drives prices. If demand for crude is less because the majority of vehicles don't run on it, wouldn't it be cheaper? Seems some people in the thread have it backwards.
That's true if you are talking about one thing, but nobody uses straight raw crude oil. Instead people use part of a barrel of oil in the form of gasoline or diesel or asphalt or plastic feedstock.

Because oil isn't one thing the supply is all mixed up with the demand of the other parts. If you get 1/6 a barrel of diesel out of a barrel of oil and you need six million barrels of diesel for heavy equipment, then 36 million barrels of crude oil will be sold. 6 million barrels of diesel will come out of it and 30 million barrels of other stuff that needs to go somewhere, even if it's at a loss.

As long as the parts that sell bring in enough money to cover the costs, the oil will be used. Even if a big percentage of it needs to be dumped. Gasoline used to be dumped into rivers because there wasn't any use for it.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,449  
As long as the parts that sell bring in enough money to cover the costs, the oil will be used. Even if a big percentage of it needs to be dumped. Gasoline used to be dumped into rivers because there wasn't any use for it.
Modern refineries take a grade and refine it into a more valuable grade. One example was when Valero was the first to refine Venezuelan heavy crude, nearly tar, into gasoline and more usable products. Their investment in new technology gave them an advantage for a while. I expect future petroleum refining will adjust to whatever the market wants to buy. That refining may cost a lot of the energy input to process the feedstock, making the output more expensive, but I don't think refinery output is locked into the fixed proportions we might expect.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,450  
Which would also mean that the price of electricity will go up substantially. The difference is that there is no competition with my electric company. I don't have a choice of my home electricity, so I could look at price increases with no options like I have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.