Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,031  
Please people, try to vet your "information" before you post. We humans are a silly lot and we start to believe anything we see. See it enough times and we start believing it, even when we know it's wrong! That $380 number will stick in the back of people's minds and subconsciously influence their thinking about the future of oil. To post it without the proper context is just irresponsible.
Aw, c'mon. That takes all the fun out of it.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,033  
That assumes batteries to hold the energy until night hydrogen production begins. Big batteries. If hydrogen production takes far more energy than comes out of the process, I don't think this is going to work because the battery storage cost alone would exceed any benefits.
Let alone the political opposition to this. One of those battery storage facilities was proposed for an industrial area in a town not too far from me. Almost everyone was opposed to it. I'm sure some of it was good old fashioned NIMBYism, but serious concerns were raised particularly on grounds that if a fire ever occurred (these were to be L-I batteries), it would be extremely difficult to put out, particularly for a small town FD.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,034  
Let alone the political opposition to this. One of those battery storage facilities was proposed for an industrial area in a town not too far from me. Almost everyone was opposed to it. I'm sure some of it was good old fashioned NIMBYism, but serious concerns were raised particularly on grounds that if a fire ever occurred (these were to be L-I batteries), it would be extremely difficult to put out, particularly for a small town FD.
Good point

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,036  
Are the EV subsidies just in the Build back better bill and now are no longer offered?
The proposed subsidies that were in BBB were to replace the current program. Therefore, the old subsidy remains. The current status of that is GM and Tesla have exceeded the # of units sold to qualify. Ford will run out this year, Nissan this year or next.
The rebate for home EVSE installation expires today.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,037  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,038  
The proposed subsidies that were in BBB were to replace the current program.
BBB is probably DOA...hope so, at least
Certain parts will likely be stand-alone bills, as they should be.
As far as EV's in general, the state and federal governments should be the only entities mandated to convert...no exceptions

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,039  
Good point. The way they used to store petrochemicals had to have a number of disasters before the industry was made to make is safer.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,040  
I was thinking along the lines of a solar farm that generates excess energy during the day, and makes hydrogen to generate electricity at night. I get that it's not the most efficient, but a way to use solar to generate electricity 24 hrs/day.

That assumes batteries to hold the energy until night hydrogen production begins. Big batteries. If hydrogen production takes far more energy than comes out of the process, I don't think this is going to work because the battery storage cost alone would exceed any benefits.

I was thinking the hydrogen would be produced during the day with excess solar generation. Then it could be used at night to generate off peak electricity. Not effecient, I know, but a way to "store" energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.