Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,462  
Well, I googled too...

How Much Lithium Does The USA Have?​

The United States of America has plenty of natural resources. However, when it comes to lithium specifically, the US is not one of the top producers of lithium in the world. According to data from the United States Geological Survey, the United States has a total of 750,000 tons of lithium reserves.
This puts it far behind the top producers of lithium in the world. Despite this fact, the United States still has greater lithium reserves than a number of other countries. This includes the countries of Zimbabwe, Brazil, and Portugal, just to name a few.

It's good to know USA can fill the gap over time.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,463  
According to my calculations the US has enough lithium carbonate reserves to produce over 15,000,000 EV batteries. One of the biggest problems is NIMBY. Recycling technology advancements will help and I don't see current (pun intended) lithium battery technology being the final solution anyway.

My calculations may be off, what do you think?

The average EV battery weighs around 1,200 lbs.

If there is 750,000 tons available, we have to convert this to lbs. There is 2000 lbs per ton

So...

750,000 * 2000 = 1,500,000,000 lbs of Lithium

1,500,000,000 / 1200 = 1,250,000 EV batteries.

In 2021, there was 631,000 EV sold

So 1,250,000 / 631,000 = 1.98 years.

We have lithium reserves equal to about 2 years worth of EV production.

Not promising.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,466  
The average EV battery weighs around 1,200 lbs.

If there is 750,000 tons available, we have to convert this to lbs. There is 2000 lbs per ton

So...

750,000 * 2000 = 1,500,000,000 lbs of Lithium

1,500,000,000 / 1200 = 1,250,000 EV batteries.

In 2021, there was 631,000 EV sold

So 1,250,000 / 631,000 = 1.98 years.

We have lithium reserves equal to about 2 years worth of EV production.

Not promising.

A lithium-ion battery pack for a single electric car contains about 8 kilograms (kg) of lithium, according to figures from US Department of Energy science and engineering research centre Argonne National Laboratory.

The amount of lithium in an average electric vehicle (EV) battery depends on the type and size of the battery. However, a rough estimate is that a lithium-ion battery pack for a single EV contains about 8 kg of lithium1, which is equivalent to about 43 kg of lithium carbonate2. This is based on the assumption that a lithium-ion

How much lithium in kg is used in electric car batteries?

It might be quite simple to calculate the amount of lithium required to provide a specific amount of energy needed to power any electronic device. Usually, lithium contains an atomic weight of 6.94 g/mol, which is scientifically proven, hence proves that a small amount of lithium has a high potential as a power source. Calculations used to estimate the amount of lithium in li-ion batteries are based on close estimates since the utilization of any cell can never be a fixed 100%. The lithium content found in a lithium-ion battery for an electric vehicle would need to be about 0.85 kg of lithium carbonate per kWh, and this amounts to approximately to around 0.16kg of Lithium metal/kWh.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,467  
A lithium-ion battery pack for a single electric car contains about 8 kilograms (kg) of lithium, according to figures from US Department of Energy science and engineering research centre Argonne National Laboratory.

The amount of lithium in an average electric vehicle (EV) battery depends on the type and size of the battery. However, a rough estimate is that a lithium-ion battery pack for a single EV contains about 8 kg of lithium1, which is equivalent to about 43 kg of lithium carbonate2. This is based on the assumption that a lithium-ion

How much lithium in kg is used in electric car batteries?

It might be quite simple to calculate the amount of lithium required to provide a specific amount of energy needed to power any electronic device. Usually, lithium contains an atomic weight of 6.94 g/mol, which is scientifically proven, hence proves that a small amount of lithium has a high potential as a power source. Calculations used to estimate the amount of lithium in li-ion batteries are based on close estimates since the utilization of any cell can never be a fixed 100%. The lithium content found in a lithium-ion battery for an electric vehicle would need to be about 0.85 kg of lithium carbonate per kWh, and this amounts to approximately to around 0.16kg of Lithium metal/kWh.

Do the calc.

That said a lot without saying anything.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,468  
As much as I dislike EV's for obvious reasons (obvious to people other than EV worshippers that is), I actually considered pretty hard buying one (and I still do) but not to drive as a vehicle but to add a set of Tweco disconnects to the battery terminals and use it for a mobile welding rig. Plenty of amps in DC to run SMAW rod with and a nice hatch like say a Prius would have ample room for cables, hood, gloves and rod. Only issue would be ground clearance as I do field welding in rough conditions. Could even do scratch start TIG with a bottle of argon shielding gas as well.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,469  
Do the calc.

That said a lot without saying anything.
According to your calculation, a lithium battery is a solid block of lithium. That's not true.

Amounts vary depending on the battery type and model of vehicle, but a single car lithium-ion battery pack (of a type known as NMC532) could contain around 8 kg of lithium, 35 kg of nickel, 20 kg of manganese and 14 kg of cobalt, according to figures from Argonne National Laboratory.

The conversion ratio of lithium carbonate to lithium metal is about 5.3 to 1. If the US has 750,000 US tons of lithium carbonate, that equates to 680,250,000 kg.

680,250,000/5.3 = 128,349,056 kg of lithium divided by 8 (kg per battery) = 16,043,632 batteries

1. 1 US ton = 907.18474 kilograms
The above is why I said the US has enough reserves to produce over 15 million EV batteries.

Again, my calculations may be off. I'm not a mathematician :LOL:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,470