Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,651  
Affordability is irrelevant to me...practically is #1. Why should I pay for things I don't want/need or ever will use.
You shouldn't. What I was discussing there was simply an exercise in what's possible, not what should be done.

I'm fine with higher costs in the name of choice, as it would appear the majority of new car buyers are, so here we are. I was just describing where the costs could go, namely way down, if choice were eliminated.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,652  
13 hours ago:
U.S. climate envoy John Kerry said he thinks coal plants should not be “permitted anywhere in the world.”
:ROFLMAO: Good luck with that! Unless someday we're able to almost equalize off-peak with on-peak demand, coal is going to be part of the answer. It's good to minimize this as much as possible, within the constraint of not increasing costs, but coal is going to be part of our future for at least awhile.

Ideally, increased EV adoption will increase off-peak usage, and thus allow a greater fraction of our total generation to come from nukes and renewables. This will naturally reduce reliance on coal, which is a good thing, but I have no interest in pipe dreams of eliminating it completely. Also, don't forget natural gas, which is taking over more and more of peak demand generation from coal!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,653  
I would be upset paying $66K then a year later able to get the exact same car for $42K
A local seller had several car buyers buying them with less than 50 miles out of CA and shipping them back locally and pricing them for $76K. For a while they were making a lot of money off Musk until they were not. :).

The 2023 Tesla model Y is today's best selling ICE or EV in the world.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,654  
Good luck with that! Unless someday we're able to almost equalize off-peak with on-peak demand, coal is going to be part of the answer. It's good to minimize this as much as possible, within the constraint of not increasing costs, but coal is going to be part of our future for at least awhile.

Ideally, increased EV adoption will increase off-peak usage, and thus allow a greater fraction of our total generation to come from nukes and renewables. This will naturally reduce reliance on coal, which is a good thing, but I have no interest in pipe dreams of eliminating it completely. Also, don't forget natural gas, which is taking over more and more of peak demand generation from coal!
I hope your correct, except I can forsee changes occurring with climate change at the forefront. Years ago my cousin Philip McWane, McWane Foundries in Birmingham was telling me with all the stack scrubbers on his coal fired Foundries he got complaint calls all the time about smoke coming out which was simply steam.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,655  
Ideally, increased EV adoption will increase off-peak usage, and thus allow a greater fraction of our total generation to come from nukes and renewables. This will naturally reduce reliance on coal, ... Also, don't forget natural gas, which is taking over more and more of peak demand generation from coal!
A friend who works on future-planning issues for state PUC said all available research points to natural gas replacing coal as individual coal plants wear out and need major repairs. And there won't be another coal plant built in the US. In both cases, because the delivered cost of natural gas now costs less and this margin is forecast to increase.

Aside from that economic analysis, this change means less particulates in the air for coal miners and the people near the plants to breathe, improving the overall impact on the health of the public. Times are changing.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,656  
A friend who works on future-planning issues for state PUC said all available research points to natural gas replacing coal as individual coal plants wear out and need major repairs. And there won't be another coal plant built in the US. In both cases, because the delivered cost of natural gas now costs less and this margin is forecast to increase.

Aside from that economic analysis, this change means less particulates in the air for coal miners and the people near the plants to breathe, improving the overall impact on the health of the public. Times are changing.
So for once, it just came down to economics of Natural Gas facilities beating out coal fired and no real after treatment needed with NG .?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,657  
No more bags of coal for the backyard grill?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,659  
So for once, it just came down to economics of Natural Gas facilities beating out coal fired and no real after treatment needed with NG .?
That's what it sounds like. Both are abundant, nearly all the cost is in the delivery, and gas is simpler to deliver.

I didn't hear the 'why', just that gas has the advantage in delivered cost.

Ultrarunner not to worry. This relates to trainloads. I expect you can still buy bags of bbq coal at Home Depot.