Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,171  

Supercharged loss: EV charger companies watch profits plummet as drivers pump the brakes​

Several electric vehicle charging companies are experiencing sharp declines in their share prices, with some projecting significant annual losses as sales for EVs level off and market leaders worry about the future of the industry and economy.

ChargePoint Holdings reported that its shares dropped 74% in 2023 and missed its initial revenue projections for the third quarter, according to the Wall Street Journal. Blink Charging and EVgo shares also have dropped 67% and 21%, respectively.

Look for government bailouts to save "the cornerstone of progress".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,172  
Basically, I’m too cheap to spend EV money because I know down the road I will face the battery question… so economic for me… especially when I keep cars long enough they start appreciating…
Musk has stated they think they are building to 500,000+ goals for battery and vehicles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,173  

Supercharged loss: EV charger companies watch profits plummet as drivers pump the brakes​

Several electric vehicle charging companies are experiencing sharp declines in their share prices, with some projecting significant annual losses as sales for EVs level off and market leaders worry about the future of the industry and economy.

ChargePoint Holdings reported that its shares dropped 74% in 2023 and missed its initial revenue projections for the third quarter, according to the Wall Street Journal. Blink Charging and EVgo shares also have dropped 67% and 21%, respectively.

Well, duh? No matter the Dictates From A High, the Free Market functions, the "invisible hand" prevails.

Unreliable product: investors bail out.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,175  
Isn’t mining rare earth minerals bad for the environment?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,176  
The one thing I see routinely ignored in these conversations is total lifetime minutes or hours spent standing by a pump or charging station. If and when I own an EV, most charging will happen overnight at home, while I sleep. Yes, there will surely be rare occasions when I need to stop and "supercharge" on the road, but if this is one or two days out of 365, I'm still vastly reducing the amount of time refueling on the road over the course of a year or the lifetime of the vehicle.

More importantly than that, is the amount of time I've saved in driving to and from the gas station, as I almost never seem to be conveniently passing one in my daily travels. If I spend 20-30 minutes refueling an EV at a highway rest stop, while taking a leak and picking up a coffee, it could be considered a setback on that trip. But it's still vastly preferable and wasting less of my time each year, than driving across town and standing by a gas pump for 3-4 minutes once every week or two.
Opposite for us. Just now I passed three gas stations on the way to the grocery store. They are all within 5 miles from home. Car was almost empty, I pulled into a Shell station $2.859, filled in 2min. 52 sec. adding 350 mile range.
So for short trips that lasts 2 weeks or more.
2 weeks=14 days and even assuming 15 seconds plug in, 15 unplug= 7 minutes.
Therefore 7 minutes EV vs. 3 minutes ICE.
Amazingly no one buys an EV for it's intended "save the planet" mandate. Instead it's for medical FSD (?), save money (?), speed (?), high tech (?), etc.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,177  
Isn’t mining rare earth minerals bad for the environment?
No. It's good, as well as EV car, battery, solar panel, wind turbine manufacturing and all forms of electricity production. Deforestation for solar farms also helps. It's "The Green New Deal" .

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,179  
Amazingly no one buys an EV for it's intended "save the planet" mandate. Instead it's for medical FSD (?), save money (?), speed (?), high tech (?), etc.
According to Research poll
72% buy to help the environment, none here.
12% buy to keep up with the latest trends, probably a few here also.
but 0% no one, (wasn't even an option on the poll) except Gale, buys for medical reasons (FSD).
Also buyers tend to be young Democrats and live in an Urban area.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,180