Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,371  
Bring it on.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,373  
Other end of the pipeline to be fair...

View attachment 751192
Yeah, your photo is of another open pit mine.

Pipeline no matter what it is won't terminate in an open pit unless your referring to a waste water treatment pond.

Just to be fair

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,374  
There was no pipeline to close. It hadn't been built yet.
Another path already exists (see map below).
The Keystone XL (XL stands for Export Limited) in green was another path to get the Canadian tar sands oil from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico for export. Most of that oil was/is not designated for the U.S. market. So it would have little effect on gas prices. After construction, the pipeline would have provided a whopping 50-100 permanent jobs, so that's a bust as well.

What new wells did the current administration stop? They had to cancel three lease sales due to lawsuits on two of them and lack of interest by the oil industry on purchasing oil leases in Alaska. There are currently millions of acres of oil leases already in the hands of oil companies that are not being developed. So until the oil companies start running out of leases (they are nowhere close) there really isn't a lack of places to drill that are already approved. It's the oil companies that are choosing not to drill on leases they already own.

I do not understand your comment about 'letting existing wells pump'.

On our trip to Oklahoma and back last week, we saw many idle oil wells not pumping, and many others that were pumping. The ones that were pumping were visibly larger and newer than the older smaller ones that were not, so someone is investing in updating oil wells out there.

As of last week, current US refinery capacity was above 93%. So even if they had more oil in the system, the refineries are already at capacity. There would be ZERO more gasoline on the market if more oil is put into the system.

View attachment 751195
A Pipeline during construction generates thousands of jobs. And not just in the construction. Those workers gotta eat, buy groceries, gotta stay somewhere, equipment needs to be maintained......

Maybe long term it employees a 100 people to maintain it. But it also pumps a ton of money into local economies during construction.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,375  
Yeah, your photo is of another open pit mine.

Pipeline no matter what it is won't terminate in an open pit unless your referring to a waste water treatment pond.

Just to be fair
I think you are confused as to what that picture is.

That's the starting end of the pipeline, not the finish end.

That's one of many open pits where they mine the Canadian oil sands. Then they run it through processing to extract the oil, then run it through pipelines for transport, or load it onto trains.

Here's a view of some of the oil sands area from 100 miles up.

F4B7B51F-84EB-4B06-AB37-9FEA893C5653.jpeg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,376  
Another tidbit of information from an engineering standpoint:

In 2001, just one of the containment ponds in the oil sands areas was the largest man-made earth structure on the planet. It was over 30 square miles. Where do you get the earth to make such a structure? From open pit mines.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,377  
I read this in a Reuters article this morning.

"The United States is the world’s biggest exporter of refined products, lately shipping a near-record of 6 million barrels per day of products including gasoline and diesel, according to federal data. Restricting exports could temporarily flood the U.S. market, lowering prices, but refiners could respond by reducing output."

That kinda sums up what's going on:
- US oil refineries are running at near capacity.
- They are the biggest exporter of refined products in the world.
- Restricting exports would flood the US market with product which would lower gasoline prices.
- But if prices are lowered, they will respond by reducing output.

It's the oil companies that are driving this, not governmental policy.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,378  
There was no pipeline to close. It hadn't been built yet.
Another path already exists (see map below).
The Keystone XL (XL stands for Export Limited) in green was another path to get the Canadian tar sands oil from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico for export. Most of that oil was/is not designated for the U.S. market. So it would have little effect on gas prices. After construction, the pipeline would have provided a whopping 50-100 permanent jobs, so that's a bust as well.

What new wells did the current administration stop? They had to cancel three lease sales due to lawsuits on two of them and lack of interest by the oil industry on purchasing oil leases in Alaska. There are currently millions of acres of oil leases already in the hands of oil companies that are not being developed. So until the oil companies start running out of leases (they are nowhere close) there really isn't a lack of places to drill that are already approved. It's the oil companies that are choosing not to drill on leases they already own.

I do not understand your comment about 'letting existing wells pump'.

On our trip to Oklahoma and back last week, we saw many idle oil wells not pumping, and many others that were pumping. The ones that were pumping were visibly larger and newer than the older smaller ones that were not, so someone is investing in updating oil wells out there.

As of last week, current US refinery capacity was above 93%. So even if they had more oil in the system, the refineries are already at capacity. There would be ZERO more gasoline on the market if more oil is put into the system.

View attachment 751195
It should also be noted that a refinery has to be designed to process a specific type of crude. Tar-sand crude requires different refinery systems than lighter crudes.
It should also be noted that Oil Companies make their major profits from the sale of crude oil. The refined product does not make near as much money.
The pipeline cancellations are mostly about keeping a captive lower cost source from world markets. Pipe lines can batch different qualities/types of crude/refined product.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,379  
It's the oil companies that are driving this, not governmental policy.
No comment at least no comment that you would not remove as inappropriate. Lets just say I don't agree at all with your findings.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,380  
No comment at least no comment that you would not remove as inappropriate. Lets just say I don't agree at all with your findings.
Oil company shareholder expectations, futures traders, worldwide demand, US exports, and lack of refining capacity are a perfect storm to add to the loss of Russian supplies to the worldwide market.