Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,651  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,652  
Not very large at all. 10kW is what my Model S would take on L2, 11.5kW is what the newer models will take.

Solar City quoted a 10kW system, installed, pre-tax credits, $26,000.

In most of the country one averages an effective 4 hours per day. No matter sunlight for 12 hours it is dim in the morning and late afternoon, but the panels produce the same as 4 hours full illumination then 20 dark. So a 10kW system will yield 40kWh/day.

40kWh is a pretty good charge. Not a full charge but more than most use in a day.

The 10kW system was only 30 PV panels. Not really close to "decent sized acreage" but easy roof mount.

Powerwalls should be added to average and store the power produced so as not to have to have the EV connected full time.
I suppose that works if you can park at home and charge during the day. $26k does not allow you to charge at night. I have to believe most people use their vehicles during the day to go to work and shop and hit on the soccer moms. You know...normal people with a normal life.

Did you price out a power wall large enough to charge your EV at night? Does $20k sound about right? let's say it is only $16k so I can keep the numbers simple enough for me to do in my head. So a total cost of $42k.

How much fuel does $42k buy at $3/gal...about 14k gal. I can drive a 25 mpg ICE 350k miles. Of course the power wall will last indefinitely because it has those new batteries that Tesla is working on...LOL .

But it gets better. If I was stupid enough to invest $42k in an index fund I would average about 8% or more. 8% of $42k is $ 3400/yr. That buys 1100 gal of gas and I can drive over 25k miles for "free". I still have my $42k and no ugly solar panels that can be damaged by hail or power wall that takes up my limited garage wall space.

BTW, looked into solar when I move to the sticks in 2012. It did not pencil out then, it does not pencil out now. A 20 year payback does not make sense for old people. My power bill then was $90/mo and today it is $130/mo. I cannot afford to virtue signal.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,653  
^Everyone needs to have paper, a pencil and a $2 calculator!
Good going!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,654  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,655  
I won't climb into the ball-pit.
I stand by my figures.

You can have yours too...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,656  
Everyone has to stop drinking the orange cool-aid.

see this:

Science is not a left wing liberal conspiracy.

Take all the time you need with your calculators

regards,

R
The graph shows the longer term trend.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,657  
With kW approaching 50 cents and gas $5 a gallon a lot of things that didn't pencil out maybe do...

For all I know this might be the overall plan?

My 6kW array covers all my electric plus a small 250-300 check I receive each year which covers the monthly meter fee.

I have almost nothing in my system except my time... the previous owner started it 15 years ago and never completed... the components came with the house as in we are leaving when I bought.
I suppose that works if you can park at home and charge during the day. $26k does not allow you to charge at night. I have to believe most people use their vehicles during the day to go to work and shop and hit on the soccer moms. You know...normal people with a normal life.

Did you price out a power wall large enough to charge your EV at night? Does $20k sound about right? let's say it is only $16k so I can keep the numbers simple enough for me to do in my head. So a total cost of $42k.

How much fuel does $42k buy at $3/gal...about 14k gal. I can drive a 25 mpg ICE 350k miles. Of course the power wall will last indefinitely because it has those new batteries that Tesla is working on...LOL .

But it gets better. If I was stupid enough to invest $42k in an index fund I would average about 8% or more. 8% of $42k is $ 3400/yr. That buys 1100 gal of gas and I can drive over 25k miles for "free". I still have my $42k and no ugly solar panels that can be damaged by hail or power wall that takes up my limited garage wall space.

BTW, looked into solar when I move to the sticks in 2012. It did not pencil out then, it does not pencil out now. A 20 year payback does not make sense for old people. My power bill then was $90/mo and today it is $130/mo. I cannot afford to virtue signal.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,658  
@Fuddyduddy1952 I get your fear of the future forces you to try to get others to live in the past with you.

It wasn't untill 2019 that I realized that ICE passenger cars were becoming the rolling dead. A few weeks later I bought the Leaf with the dying battery so the kids then 22 could be around a new energy vehicle. Last year we got the Tesla with FSD because our son insisted. Three days ago FSD in the dark tapped the brake due to a deer that jumped in front of the car. FSD gave her enough time to recover from slipping and then to get out of my lane.

Try to be open minded on behalf those that need cleaner air to breathe.
Ok...fear of the future and cleaner air to breathe. This has been discussed here before.
Wednesday I bought a new car (like we need another )...but a cheap hatchback serves a purpose. So far (156m) m.p.g. seems to be improving (motor break in ?), lots of idling & mix of city,hwy,hills and 41.6 m.p.g. average. Touch screen for music, GPS, phone. So not fearing the future and I didn't pay MSRP. It rides & handles fine. Cheap cars don't impress anyone...do we care?
Accent shown is what I traded in, so 10 year/100k mile warranty starts over again. My auto policy went up $31/year.
You believe EV is the future and I do not for a multitude of reasons. New ICE cars (like this El Cheapo) the emissions is very low.
So clean air you factor in ICE pollution + petroleum refining + manufacturing.
With electric factor in HOW electricity is produced including phasing in wind+solar (manufacturing & deforestation) as well as car & battery manufacturing.
Bottom line is ALL things must be considered, taking into account cargo ships, trains, tractor trailers, farm/industrial equipment and jets.
The idea of waving a magic wand, all petroleum use everything disappears, replaced with all battery powered everything is delusive contentment.

20240203_142155.jpg
20240203_142211.jpg
20240203_143853.jpg
20240203_143941.jpg
20240201_155035.jpg
2024_02_03_13.15.37.jpg
2023_12_28_11.28.13.jpg

Attachments

• 2023_12_26_00.02.17.jpg
    2023_12_26_00.02.17.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 25
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,659  
Maybe moderator can remove cat picture?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,660  
Everyone has to stop drinking the orange cool-aid.

see this:

Science is not a left wing liberal conspiracy.

Take all the time you need with your calculators

regards,

R
I am more scientific than most and decent with numbers. Have a four degree in Engineering and a Masters in Business. I have a good BS detector as well.

If I cannot make the numbers work, then someone needs to show me where I made an error. When I met with the "expert" trying to sell me a solar powered system he ended up looking like a shoe salesman...without the personality to make him worthwhile.

I not only "follow the science" I can understand it.

The link you posted is part of the EV BS. It is not difficult to understand adding more EV's, requires more power to be generated. I can buy the argument that most of that will be at night when loads are less but EV's will tax the power grid at some point. Why did Newsome direct people to not charge their EV's when CA faced rolling blackouts?

I don't care if a bunch of flakes want to save the planet, as long as they do not drag me along and expect me to believe their BS. And I resent having my taxes pay for their toys and delusions.