Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,461  
When I bought the 325it in Munich all of my friends and euro colleagues chided me for not getting the diesel in place of the 2.5 liter 6cyl with 33mpg on my 12 hour drive to WA.

I had to explain diesel is not an option at that time for a destination California car as Diesel too dirty.

They were really proud of the VW diesels pre cheating of course.

That kind of set them back but 20 years later they say diesel too dirty and EV is the future… go figure?
Europe is fixing to go Tier 5 diesel requirements pretty soon. Should be a smoother transition with less growing pains then in the US though.

Ag Diesel manufacturers had plenty of notice. So they made sure the final tier 4 US models will meet Europe's tier 5 requirements.

All they need to do is label them tier 5 for European markets.

Figure the automotive market has done similar.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,464  
Europe is fixing to go Tier 5 diesel requirements pretty soon. Should be a smoother transition with less growing pains then in the US though.

Ag Diesel manufacturers had plenty of notice. So they made sure the final tier 4 US models will meet Europe's tier 5 requirements.

All they need to do is label them tier 5 for European markets.

Figure the automotive market has done similar.
Wonder what the T5 mandate entails? Probably SCR on every engine no matter what the advertised power is.

Only thing that does is increase the value of my T3 interim tractors. Already worth a bundle now.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,466  
Wonder what the T5 mandate entails? Probably SCR on every engine no matter what the advertised power is.

Only thing that does is increase the value of my T3 interim tractors. Already worth a bundle now.
I have a fleet of 300hp tier 3 deere engines at work that I have been limping along with bandaids and duct tape.

I found out about the tier 5 in Europe deal when I was in a JD class on tier 4 def and scr systems.

They just touched on it briefly. Emissions standards were higher then the US.

He said that the big ag dealers decided to make the final tier 4 series meet the final tier 5 requirements rather then reinventing the wheel.

I didn't think to ask if the smaller hp engines were coming with def or not.

We had a deere 6068 with the full emissions set up hooked up in one of the dyno bays. That model I believe is around 150hp.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,467  
This would be of interest for wife's 1971 Super Bettle some day.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,469  
My reading shows that a self-install has a reasonable ROI but a pro install sometimes double. A lot of this conversation does not put context around the person's needs - Alaska vs Florida, cost of grid power, source of grid power, etc. I think solar is being used to fleece the public right now. But if it works for you, all is well.
I honestly think solar should be used and geared more for the homeowner and individual business level instead of mass solar farms.

Take the housing neighborhood I'm currently in. Granted they are rental properties. But it's just an example.

Neighborhood has close to 200 homes, plus around 60 duplexes. Zero trees, all the homes get ample sun exposure.

Add some panels to each homes roof, grid tied solar. That would be a pretty decent reduction for the existing power grid. Maybe a surplus as solar technology improves.

What happens if each factory and plant did that as well???

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,470  
This is key to keeping legacy farming equipment going and will be key to keeping the disappearing ICEV era on the road until we died off like the small farms are doing.

I am amazed at the number of cars of the road today where the OEM is deceased or the case of the Crown Vic for example.