Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,531  
Just taked with a guy who has had a Tesla for 3 years now. He absolutely loves it. i wonder when we will hit the tipping point when more EVs are sold than ICE vehicles?
The tipping point will be if/when fuel prices drop & when people start paying high electric bills, having to buy batteries, locate & wait at a charging station, or get stranded while on vacation.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,532  
Who's fault is that? Why was it less than half the price it is now? Who do we blame...pick one:...Corporate greed!...Russia!...supply & demand!...lack of refineries!...Mom & Pop stores overcharging...etc.
I believe in Free Will and have come to understand playing the blame game puts my SS payments at risk.

Perhaps we don't find leaders talented enough to be held accountable for their actions. I assume all humans are doing the best our talents permit hence no blame is justified.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,533  
Will an EV even work at -60F? How far can it go and will it keep me warm and the windshield defrosted? These are real life things I need to know before even considering an EV.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,534  
Just taked with a guy who has had a Tesla for 3 years now. He absolutely loves it. i wonder when we will hit the tipping point when more EVs are sold than ICE vehicles?
I spoke with a model 3 owner 5 days ago. He had the car since 2018. He loves his too. He did say he had one minor issue fixed under warranty and one more issue he will fix himself soon.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,535  
Will an EV even work at -60F? How far can it go and will it keep me warm and the windshield defrosted? These are real life things I need to know before even considering an EV.
As long you keep the battery @ -14F or warmer if you have a cold climate Leaf. The battery heater disables itself when state of charge drops below 30%

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,536  
We're seeing Teslas everywhere here now.
Again...EVs, ICE (gas, Diesel, propane, hydrogen), horses (yes horses)...they ALL have their place & purpose. Choices, man...choices! That's all I'm saying. Variety is the spice of life.
We need groceries and there's a new large store 4 miles away. If I want to get something in regardless of 50 or 500 hp ICE car, truck, tractor, bicycle, EV, horse & wagon, walk...I should be able to.
I'm not subservient to anyone forcing me into an EV by raising fuel prices...it won't work!
My diesel tractor tops out around 18mph. Yet is is so awesome on fuel sipping. It would be fractions of a cup of fuel to go get groceries vs. the gas vehicle. I just have to polish the SMV sign and the flashers. hahahaha

So, before even thinking EV to get into town, the tractor would be the ideal machine to use. Just pulling the little cart or carry-all to fill would be easy to do.

Your spot on. Just include motor scooters because those are making huge inroads right now in my region vs. any EV purchases.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,537  
Me too. Guy had model 3 since 2018. He loves it too. One minor issue fixed under warranty and one other he will fix himself soon.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,539  
WARNING - do not own an EV with temps in your area below -35F.

Electrical motors are prone to irreversible demagnetization making the motor ku-put, It would be very expensive to replace the EV motor and the electronics in a de-mag situation.

When the motor reaches temps below -35F, irreversible demagnetization will begin.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,540  
As long you keep the battery @ -14F or warmer if you have a cold climate Leaf. The battery heater disables itself when state of charge drops below 30%
I may consider a hybrid. At least I may not get stranded and freeze to death. My small town is 21 miles away. Larger town is 121 miles away through the mountains.