Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,791  
I don't observe regeneration is the miracle many make it out to be.

Oooh, you mean it might produce a HP using less fuel at low RPM than at high RPM? 😇

"Efficiency" of High torque low RPM "Low load"

For heating the cabin.

Peltier crystals are terribly inefficient.

Yep hoping they eventually make a huge leap with peltier s

And interestingly, the thermal efficiency of an ICE is measured to the tip of the exhaust pipe. Cool the gasses and one affects the flow and salvaging from the combustion chamber.

I believe you meant Savaging

Not with the inefficiency of converting mechanical energy to electrical and then electrical back to mechanical. One happily eats this inefficiency with a diesel-electric locomotive or the huge earth moving trucks used in many mining operations due to the cost and complexity of a transmission drive. Electric hybrid drive preferred over hydrostatic or cut gears.

It will be interesting to see just how well this Stellantis design actually performs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,792  
Stop living in the past ;) , none of us here are slagging hybrids, and you have no clue how we felt a couple decades ago, quite frankly I was too busy raising kids thru University and working my middle class life driving used vehicles to ever worry about buying a hybrid or not ........We do see how much you hate the American Auto workers , I guess according to you and Gale the "death spiral" of Amercan jobs is a good thing. You might get your way if things go bad this Fall. But I am not suprised at your consistent me me me attitude , sadly ....... hmmmm
I have to chuckle when you prove everything I suspected about you in a reply.

20 years ago you and your ilk though your superior reasoning ranted against hybrids. Just as you rant against EV today.

You can not cite me on "death spiral" but it serves your mindset to believe I am in that camp.

I have often posted opposition to the restrictions preventing Americans from producing lithium, cobalt, "Rare" Earths, etc.

I have no love of unions. No hate either. I worked for a defense contractor who had a well funded pension plan. Then it had a "friendly" merger with a steel company whose pension plan was bankrupt. Magically the steel workers had a funded pension plan! Ours was gutted but supposedly funded. Then the companies split once again. All the corporate heads got bonuses!

A few years after leaving the company was told my pension was estimated to pay $120/month on reaching 65 years old. Or I could take $42,000 cash to put in IRA or 401k or something. I took the cash.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,793  
You are so behind the times. LiFePO4 does not suffer from "thermal runaway".
I'm aware of that. But 99% of these vehciles, especially performance and high power ones, do not have lifepo4 batteries.

These are lifepo4.

W1WhGpz.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,794  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,795  
I have to chuckle when you prove everything I suspected about you in a reply.

20 years ago you and your ilk though your superior reasoning ranted against hybrids. Just as you rant against EV today.

You can not cite me on "death spiral" but it serves your mindset to believe I am in that camp.

I have often posted opposition to the restrictions preventing Americans from producing lithium, cobalt, "Rare" Earths, etc.

I have no love of unions. No hate either. I worked for a defense contractor who had a well funded pension plan. Then it had a "friendly" merger with a steel company whose pension plan was bankrupt. Magically the steel workers had a funded pension plan! Ours was gutted but supposedly funded. Then the companies split once again. All the corporate heads got bonuses!

A few years after leaving the company was told my pension was estimated to pay $120/month on reaching 65 years old. Or I could take $42,000 cash to put in IRA or 401k or something. I took the cash.
Again .....where was I quoted 20 yrs ago ??? you assume always ! Frankly you assume about many aspects on this thread.........the rest of your post is a rant and whining about your bad luck and decisions . ( again your me me me ) We all have them , you move on.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,798  
Remember this growing up as kids?

"TURN OFF THE DAMN LIGHTS!" "IT'S DAYTIME WHY THE HELL DO YOU HAVE THE LIGHTS ON?" "WHO LEFT THE BASEMENT LIGHTS ON?" "TURN YOUR DAMN BEDROOM LIGHTS OFF WHEN YOU ARENT IN THE ROOM!"

now they want us to plug in and charge cars all night....

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,799  
Weren't they asking people in CA to not charge at night last year due to strain on the grid?

This recommends DAYTIME charging.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,800  
At one point during a game, the coach called one of his 9-year-old baseball players aside

And asked, "Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?"

"Yes, coach", replied the little boy. "

Do you understand that what matters is whether we win or lose together as a team?"

The little boy nodded in the affirmative.

"So," the coach continued, "I'm sure you know, when an out is called, you shouldn't argue,

curse the umpire or call him an *******. Do you understand all that?"

Once more, the small boy nodded in agreement.

The coach continued, "And when I take you out of the game so that another boy gets a chance to play,

it's not a dumb-ass decision or that the coach is a shithead is it?"

"No, coach."

"Good", said the coach. "Now go over there and explain all that to your grandmother.”