Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,141  
So in 10 years the ICE owner spent $14K fuel+oil.
In 10 years the EV needs batteries so not only charging cost but now that plus batteries!!!
I had 93% of the original capacity of my original traction battery at 10 years. "Yup! In need of immediate replacement!"

No one mentions that.
On another discussion someone mentioned a Greenworks battery mower. Supposedly mows 21 acres or 8 hours on a charge. The factory sent me texts saying under ideal recently cut grass conditions (???). Then finally they don't sell the battery pack but "guessing" a service center could replace it for $5,000-$7,000. Mower is $27,000+tax. Doesn't qualify for inflation reduction act tax credits.
There you go again, guessing.

Greenworks doesn't seem to be using the best cells in their consumer products, but the commercial ZTR was designed and is built by another division. Saw it some years ago at a dealer-only show, before it was shipping.

Many Greenworks battery tools are sold under other brands such as B&D, Bad Boy, and others.

Has a 5 year 2000 hour commercial warranty. If you want to FUD about battery, the battery is covered 5 years. Also no maintenance for 2000 hours but to sharpen blades and air tires. That is pretty significant in a commercial environment.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,142  
The obvious questing that needs asking is why does one person need 4 EVs when most people can get by with one ICE? Next question: How much more did you pay for the S than she did? Sometimes mocking is justified.
I didn't ask why 25 years ago a girl (my sister) designed a house and had it built with 3 garage doors.

My S was her 3rd EV, then she promptly purchased a new 2023 S bringing the total to 4. An X, 3, and (2) S.

How much more did I pay for the S than she? "Infinite". I gave my S to her. She wanted the transferable Lifetime Supercharging subscription. Put it on the new S she bought.

If you really want to put your nose in other people's business where it doesn't belong, I believe her step son is driving my old S.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,143  
Lastly when it thinks my home is on the opposite side of the road after uploading bug corrections to Tesla for over a year with no change to the AP's your destination is on the right.
They did that to me too for several years. Originally it was correct then they started showing my home address across the street. Even put the X properly in the neighbor's driveway. And would show GPS of my car in my driveway with their address.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,144  
I would be interested in a system that warns me if I have drifted out of my lane due to inattention, a medical event, or fallen asleep at wheel...stuff like that. I can get that on ICE vehicles or EVs at a one time affordable cost.
Standard base "Autopilot" does that.

I too am not going to pay for FSD (supervised).

Oh, when they dropped the subscription to $99/month they also dropped the outright purchase to $8000.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,145  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,146  
Lost FSD, back up camera, etc today which for an interesting trip. When I got home, I realized that a new update had started to downloadslI know they do delete all files before they load over the top of the other so I don't know if it had already done that or not. But anyway when I got home and I got it position where it could download at a reasonable rate. That's all done and all that functionality came back online so that was a good thing. I am now sitting here listening to the clicks and slams of relays opening and closing as Tesla tests the software in the install process. Now I have FSD Ver.12.3.5. Test drive went as expected.

Whoa... The download was happening while you were driving?

Drove the last drive today on FSD. I hope the downdate is automatic tonight...

I have my first problem with the Y.
The tire pressure sensor info is not updating. I don't think it is the aftermarket senders I put in the 18" tires because they worked all winter inside the snow tires, and for weeks with the new summer tires. Seems like a Bluetooth problem with the receiver. It says it may reset on the next drive but have my doubts, since I have already done the 2 button reset and the error did not clear. A service appointment is almost a 200 mile round trip -unless mobile service will drive over and fix it.
The fault code has been mentioned on TMC and more than one it took replacing the TPMS receiver.

Maybe I will get lucky and reverting to standard Autopilot software will clear the fault, I should know tomorrow.

ps. Ordered a 2 piece roof glass sun screen for when it gets close to 100 degrees this summer. I like the glass roof but not the extra heat on the black interior.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,147  
Talent seems to know talent.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,150  
Cheapest I can find is a ford maverick for $27.5k, toyota corola for $23.7, honda civic for $24.1k. Everyone has their preferences, but I wouldn't own any of those.

I would say cost of ownership is lower, charging, maintenance, etc. But I would say that's probably offset by a higher depreciation of the value when going to sell. It's hard to say, because there's not that many 10 year old used ev's. I would probably call it close to even.

If I pay 37k for an ev. Like I just did last week. It would have to be an SUV, because car's just don't work for me. With a tow package. If, after 10 years, it just completely died and I had to throw it in the trash, it would have cost me $3700 to own, per year, plus $333 in electricity, per year, to drive 10,000 miles per year. So just over 4k per year. Add 2 sets of tires plus fitting, that's an extra $800 per set, $1600, divide by 10, $16/yr.

So around 42k cost of ownership for 10 years. Resale of a 2014 nissan leaf right now shows about $3k.

ICE car is 25k, or 2.5k per year. Lets say you average 26 mpg, that's $1350 in fuel assuming $3.50/gal per year. Two $50 oil changes per year. Two sets of tires in 10 years. 2 sets of brake pads and brake pad service, that's about $250 these days if you DIY. So just over 4k per year.
Your story is an unusual outlier.
You are buying a vehicle unusually discounted, most probably below production costs, because the company is on the verge of complete bankruptcy.
You are talking a risk, rolling the dice, hoping an electronic part, or software failure, doesn’t brick your vehicle in the near future because the supporting company is gone.

This makes your comparison numbers look better, but the hidden cost is your big unknown future gamble.

“Add 2 sets of tires plus fitting, that's an extra $800 per set, $1600, divide by 10, $16/yr.”
Might want to check your math on that one.

You also have a favorable electric rate. My cost at 10,000 miles would be more than double the $333 you figured.