Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,991  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,992  
I thought these hooks were a gimmick, but i picked up 6 gallons of pool shock last night and didn't want them rolling around. The back cargo floor folds up and hooks appear to hang grocery bags on.

jhXAbDk.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,993  
Couple dozen trucks = 24 X 33 = 792 houses. Just 24 trucks use the same energy as almost 800 homes. With 166 million trucks in the US that would be the same as powering over 5 billion homes? I am not that good with math, but that seems like an incredible number being as there are only 144 million homes in the US.

I also can still not find any info on how much energy is lost converting from one source of power to another (charging a battery). Someone needs to charge a few vehicles with a diesel generator and see how much more diesel the generator uses than just running the same vehicle with a diesel engine. There is always a loss in energy conversion. It is ok to waste a little in conversion if the energy is free like wind and solar. But charging vehicles at night when there is no solar means using diesel, gas, or coal. Still seems to me it would be more energy efficient to just put the diesel directly in the truck and not lose so much converting to electricity to charge batteries?

You do know that refineries use electricity to refine the crude into fuel?
I'll let you google the amount of kwH to produce 1 gallon of fuel. But its not free.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,994  
I thought these hooks were a gimmick, but i picked up 6 gallons of pool shock last night and didn't want them rolling around. The back cargo floor folds up and hooks appear to hang grocery bags on.

jhXAbDk.jpg

Yep Very Handy, Hatchbacks are so versatile. I have been able to put two 5 gallon containers of Universal tractor fluid under the floor in the rear of the Y and then load six 50lb. bags of grain and pellets on top of the rear mat, and not even folded the rear seats down. That still leaves the frunk and rear seat to be loaded with groceries.

EV SUV's are great to make round trips to town and back for shopping @ well under a dollar bill in electricity.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,995  
You do know that refineries use electricity to refine the crude into fuel?
I'll let you google the amount of kwH to produce 1 gallon of fuel. But its not free.
About .2 kwh per gallon, it's hard to find, many will tell you a c*ck n bull story of 5 kwh per gallon 😅 including the BiG E.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,996  
About .2 kwh per gallon, it's hard to find, many will tell you a c*ck n bull story of 5 kwh per gallon 😅 including the BiG E.

And, after refining into different uses the Volume actually Increases, a net Processing Gain for refining.

42 gallon barrel will generally yield ~45 gallons, due to density differences of the multiple refined products.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,997  
And, after refining into different uses the Volume actually Increases, a net Processing Gain for refining.

42 gallon barrel will generally yield ~45 gallons, due to density differences of the multiple refined products.
Don't forget the additives, and like it or not the addition of Booze in the gas.

These people that are in so deep into the EV religion just can not be reasoned with, they are lost in a cult. It really is just that simple. Nothing will change their view. This is where we are now, and what has been grown. It is really an "US" vs "THEM", and not only on this issue but many others as well.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,998  
Optimization of energy consumption

How much electricity to produce a gallon of gasoline
(Considers energy to produce from oil well to gas tank)
The end result of a very careful and well-documented analysis via the GREET model which takes all of this complexity into account, is that from well to gas tank, gasoline is about 81 to 83% source energy efficient.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,999  
The Tesla semi is very impressive in its performance. The one question I have is "can we charge them"?

Imagine, a couple dozen or so semis charging all at the same time at a facility. Can someone do the math on that one for me
I have a distant connection to that. Back when I was a union carpenter I worked on building the roof structure at the huge Pepsi Sacramento warehouse. Where now, years later, their dozen or so EV trucks go home to charge every night.

I don't know the specifics but they all charge overnight, ready to go out the next morning. Power comes from SMUD, the local utility, that has rates far below PGE (California's largest utility). Much, perhaps most, of SMUD's power is hydro from the upper American River reservoirs and power plants. So there is no decline in output when the sun goes down.