Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#2,941  
Lets say you are on I5 heading south back to California in your Tesla. Its at 20% so you want to charge up before hitting the hills. Where do you go in Eugene to do that for a fast charge? I'll just present this as as a challenge. It is a serious challenge, that you can't do it under four hours of wait time. Prove me wrong. Where would you go, where would you plug in? And I will go to that place and see if that is working.

I also challenge anyone with a EV truck to tow my 14ft dump 10,000lbs from town up to my place and back. Its 50 miles each way, 5000ft of elevation gain. You wont get close to making it up and back. You wont even make it up. The Lightning towing 5000lbs on flat ground got about 70 miles of range. Its horrific.

EVs will be great for people in the city that dont go far...thats who should buy them.

I love my battery powered tools, and even my battery backup system for our house. Its awesome and so much better than a gas/propane generator. However EVs are a ridiculous idea. The batteries weight too much. We need far better power density before they will truly replace ICEs. Sure they are fine for city/light driving, but from there they are just a big inconvenience over ICE.

Last edited:
#2,943  
There is a mathematical formulation for charging during an evacuation.

1-s2.0-S0968090X22002571-gr2.jpg

1. Download : Download high-res image (85KB)
  2. Download : Download full-size image
Fig. 2. The example of (a) a transportation network for vehicle type and driving range as = 3 hops; (b) the refueling routing decision and the optimal evacuation routing result. Evacuee flows from node need to refuel due to their driving ranges’ constraint, while evacuees from node are required to pass through a refueling station to maintain the evacuation tree structure.

3.2. Mathematical formulation​

We provide the formulation of the problem as in (1)—(18).(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)(9)(10)(11)(12)(13)(14)(15)(16)(17)(18)

Right because during an evacuation everyone is calm and does what they government tells them. Two words....TOILET PAPER.

#2,944  
Tesla charging station rage.
Do charging stations have restrooms like most gasoline stations?

No many are in a parking lot. At least that I have seen. What they need are charging stations that have like 50 spots and places to go in and sit down/internet/coffee/lunch kinda stuff...keep people occupied.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,945  
Tesla charging station rage.
Do charging stations have restrooms like most gasoline stations?

They need to offer refreshments, deli, or some other sort of food as well. Then at least you can multitask while on a road trip. Charge it up while you visit the boys room and take a dinner break.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,946  
When battery Fire Trucks and Ambulances become the norm I will know the technology has caught up to the hype.

In the commercial area we have a lot of refrigerated trucks on the road and even with roof too solar what happens at night?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,947  
You can put a charger anywhere there is a street or a parking lot. It will be interesting to see who the early adopters are - Truck stops, restaurants, movie theaters, discount stores, shopping malls, U-haul, parking ramps, ??? It could be a profit generator as well as a draw. We will start seeing small towns advertise that they are EV friendly.

The word it is a changing ..

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,948  
About 18 months ago the shopping center started putting them in but almost never see one in use.

My friend said they are too expensive to use often and the grocery store manager said prone to over night vandals...

Might need to have attendant or security on duty?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,949  
I also challenge anyone with a EV truck to tow my 14ft dump 10,000lbs from town up to my place and back. Its 50 miles each way, 5000ft of elevation gain. You wont get close to making it up and back. You wont even make it up. The Lightning towing 5000lbs on flat ground got about 70 miles of range. Its horrific.

EVs will be great for people in the city that dont go far...thats who should buy them.

I love my battery powered tools, and even my battery backup system for our house. Its awesome and so much better than a gas/propane generator. However EVs are a ridiculous idea. The batteries weight too much. We need far better power density before they will truly replace ICEs. Sure they are fine for city/light driving, but from there they are just a big inconvenience over ICE.
^^^^^^

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,950  
How do you pay for a charge at a Tesla charging station if you do not have a Tesla?
How much is the idle charge rate per minute at a charging station?