Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,932  
You started it 16 months ago. Turned a tractor forum into an EV circle jerk.

Over 8900 posts. 55 pagers of crap per month. And mostly the same verbal diarrhea over and over again. I see EV threads on the shooting forum I frequent but they die a natural death in 1-2 weeks. I wonder if this parasite will kill the host...LOL.

I stop in once a week or so to see if the madness has stopped but no.

I thought I really loved my guns and shooting but EV'ers are totally nuts. They keep needing to pat themselves on the back and telling everyone how smart they are. I bet their friends and family must be fed up so they need to post here.
@shooterdon maybe if you start reading from the beginning it will better help you understand your attraction to the subject and why this tread started years ago before we even owned EVs but did own lithium ion power tools and saw their advantages. Thanks for your part in keeping the thread vibrant and growing.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,933  

Over 8900 posts. 55 pagers of crap per month. And mostly the same verbal diarrhea over and over again. I see EV threads on the shooting forum I frequent but they die a natural death in 1-2 weeks. I wonder if this parasite will kill the host...LOL.

I thought I really loved my guns and shooting but EV'ers are totally nuts. They keep needing to pat themselves on the back and telling everyone how smart they are. I bet their friends and family must be fed up so they need to post here.
You have articulated the cause and effect so well !! Especially the last paragraph. Patting themselves on back ....and how smart they are. Now not all the EV owners here have taken that stance, but the OP and a couple others sure have.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,934  
Lithium's days may be numbered. This guy explains more than you ever wanted to know about batteries, starting in ancient Babylon. He gets to the 21st century about halfway through. Solid state batteries could double the storage of current batteries. A 1000 mile range is not out of the question, or battery packs with half the weight.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,935  
Lithium's days may be numbered. This guy explains more than you ever wanted to know about batteries, starting in ancient Babylon. He gets to the 21st century about halfway through. Solid state batteries could double the storage of current batteries. A 1000 mile range is not out of the question, or battery packs with half the weight.

Thanks for that interesting review of battery history.

Without question lithium is only a stepping stone in making EVs a reality today. EV battery packs good for 15-20 years.and 300 miles is what took EVs over the top in car buyers minds.

While our 2016 Nissan Leaf SL was their top of line EV it triggered the battery replacement warranty in only 3.5 years at 25K miles. From 2011-2017 Nissan EV batteries could have longevity issues . In February 2020 Nissan installed a larger newer technology 40 kWh battery pack and the SOH (State Of Health) is down to 92% because starting in 2018 the larger size and better battery chemistry was a step in the right direction but too little too late. I expect it to be functional to 2030+.

If I was buying my first on the the cheap EV today I would consider a version of the GM Bolt being discontinued in 2023 if qualifying for the rebate. It could last until 2035 when we have access to new EV battery technology in the labs today.

Tesla is EV leader today because they started with the proven lap top battery technology from Panasonic added active cooling and good battery management system (BMS).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,938  
Oh, maintenance is more than a oil change, owning a more premium ICE are not cheap, even the more ordinary car cost a lot in service cost, then you have cam belts, brake service etc.
I call BS on this. My last pickup was kept 12 years, and the only repair in that time was self-inflicted (off-roading damage). My current ICE's are 8, 7, and 3 years old, and zero repairs or ICE-specific maintenance has been required on any of them, other than oil changes.

Yes, they eat tires, wipers, and brakes... but so do BEV's. Regen braking has been argued to save on brake wear, but so does a sport mode transmission. If this were 40 years ago, I think your argument would hold more water, but other than the aforementioned oil changes, I don't see any ICE-specific repairs impacting the original owners on modern cars.

Subsequent owners may make a different argument, but that's a different discussion altogether, which will need to wait for a more aged fleet of BEV's to make any valid comparisons.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,939  

I haven't kept track, and not owning an EV I have no horse in this race, but it appears to me that the majority of posts on this thread are from users who have never owned an EV.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#8,940  

No one is forcing you to read this thread. Just ignore it and let the people interested discuss. If you read my posts, I am no real fan of EVs. Where I live I would never be able to have one as they are today (8600 ft, harsh winters, 1 hr from the city). That said I am a proponent of free speech and open discussion about topics that affect us all. We dont have to be quiet because you arent comfortable with the topic. Maybe you need some counseling?