Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,961  
Can you show your math how you came up less than 0.5 HP?

I need one kWh to normally travel 3.5 to 4 miles in the Leaf or Model Y

Are you computing how much the on board generator is putting back into the EV battery pack?
745.7 watts per horsepower.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,962  
Lots of EV statistics don't make sense.
If the Y performance has 456 hp and a 200# driver this is the 1/4 mile time.
Even the 1,020 hp plaid at 9.90 e.t.?
From Electric Car Faq. (Pro-EV): "The model Y has a 74-kilowatt hour battery which is equivalent to about 2.2 gallons of gasoline, and actual energy potential. You can see just how efficient the model Y is compared to your average gas-burning vehicle."
So 2.2 gallons gasoline in a 35 m.p.g. car = 77 miles!
Pair = 14.6 kW = 19.5HP. Speeding at 80 mph takes nearly twice as much power: Pair = 36HP which = 26,845.2 watts.
Something doesn't add up!?!
2023_05_02_14.14.33.jpg
2023_05_02_14.19.52.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,964  

This deals with the needs of rare earth metals. Apparently the USA is reopening rare earth mines that were closed when we outsourced our needs to China. This documentary is 5 years old but states Tesla was no longer using rare earth metals in their EV motors.

More on Tesla's rare earth metals free drive motor

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#8,965  
Watt-whats? Watt-minutes? Watt-hours? If you are using 317 watt-hours per mile, that's a big suck. No way that's power draw. You are not moving any car at street speeds with less than 1/2 hp.

317 watt/hours per mile is not bad if you have a 100,000 watt/hour battery. That is 315 miles of range. This is a pretty common number in today's longer range EVs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,966  
Watt-whats? Watt-minutes? Watt-hours? If you are using 317 watt-hours per mile, that's a big suck. No way that's power draw. You are not moving any car at street speeds with less than 1/2 hp.

300Wh/mi or 0.3kWh/mi

View attachment 798636

To extrapolate that out 60mph for an entire 60mins

300Wh/mi x 60mi = 18,000Wh or 18kWh used.

(@60mph the M3 is less than 300Wh/mi, 30mi stretch in screenshot is city traffic 30-70mph, my avg at the moment is 230, but that will increase at my 80+ on way home)

Math works out about perfect for realistic range.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,967  
"The model Y has a 74-kilowatt hour battery which is equivalent to about 2.2 gallons of gasoline, and actual energy potential. You can see just how efficient the model Y is compared to your average gas-burning vehicle."

You have just proved the exceptional ability for an ICE to turn 2.2 gallons of gas or 74kwh or 250kbtu into mostly heat and a little work.

Imagine in we had ICEV with the same efficiency as EV! EV probably wouldn’t exist.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,968  
30mi average @ 85mph in autopilot

IMG_1504.JPG

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,969  
[/QUOTE]
Lots of EV statistics don't make sense.
If the Y performance has 456 hp and a 200# driver this is the 1/4 mile time.
Even the 1,020 hp plaid at 9.90 e.t.?
From Electric Car Faq. (Pro-EV): "The model Y has a 74-kilowatt hour battery which is equivalent to about 2.2 gallons of gasoline, and actual energy potential. You can see just how efficient the model Y is compared to your average gas-burning vehicle."
Pair = 14.6 kW = 19.5HP. Speeding at 80 mph takes nearly twice as much power: Pair = 36HP which = 26,845.2 watts.
Something doesn't add up!?!
View attachment 798615View attachment 798617

All Tesla's have Very low coefficient of drag numbers. The Y is .23 which is why its looks are somewhat Funky, but it takes Less HP to push it through the air at hiway speeds.

On the HP ,
Tesla is sandbagging,
For whatever reason.
That 456 number is the "Old" one. My model Y has SAE HP on the Certificate of origin @418 HP I think Gales LR was @362 HP
They lowered them on paper recently.

"Usable" KWH is ~74 the battery total is over 80KWH. Lithium ion does not like 100% charge or being fully depleted. Buffers are built in to the programing to help with battery longevity.

The kicker is some people buying the lower priced AWD have received the same Hi performance motors of the Performance model.
There is a company that "Ghost" mods them and performance is very similar to the Performance models.

It may be Tesla's goal to just make a minimum of driver boards and motor versions. Then just set the performance in the software. Reduced Parts count. Faster assembly. More profit.

Here is a Y P on a Dyno. Never seen a wheel Dyno like this set up so who knows how it translates.
Not bad numbers though for "at the wheels" and more than Tesla put on the certificate

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,970  
You have just proved the exceptional ability for an ICE to turn 2.2 gallons of gas or 74kwh or 250kbtu into mostly heat and a little work.

Imagine in we had ICEV with the same efficiency as EV! EV probably wouldn’t exist.
While I like the EV approach it was the 25% efficiency of ICE that's just to hard to technically accept as being common sense in today's know how. Toyota's 40% was progress but I our Prius C is a dog to drive power wise compared to our 80% efficiency 362 HP Tesla Model Y. The 330 mile range deletes Range Anxiety and price parity with the Toyota RAV4 plug-in was the feather broke the Hybrids back.

I would not be driving EVs today if ICE efficiency was 80%. They had 125 years to make it happen and didn't.so they are declining towards Zero as EVs race in the other direction.