Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,491  
Today I trained myself and the 2023 Tesla Model Y dual motor long range for 3 hours without a break on FSD beta 2024.12.10 that I downloaded and installed 4 days ago that provides full self driving technology for any road in the USA.

Every trip FSD took a different path depending where I reversed directions. The only time it could not keep moving forward was when it wound up on a dead end street in a rural subdivision. I turned it around in a drive waya and reingaged FSD.

The traffic was light and most drivers were very understanding and would just hang back aways when they realized it was the old man with the hot pink mirror training on FSD because I have been driving it daily for 4 months locally manually.

The car has a sense of humor. She started to turn down a red gravel road and said No Way and turned right at the next paved road that was basically a one lane road with no markings of any type..

On another road like that I met a truck pulling a long cotton wagon converted to haul trays of tobacco plants. There was not enough width to meet but I trusted FSD to protect itself. We were going by a wide driveway so she moved to the right as much as possible and slammed on the brakes and all was well. One video I had watched did the same when meeting a garbage truck on a one lane road.

In fact, I taught the kids to drive that way when meeting farm equipment which is quite common on my little roads. That way the wide load driver is in full control since my vehicle is not moving and is not another variable.

So far I am glad I have the beta FSD. Now is time for my midnight McDonald's coffee run.

Mine has a sense of humor as well- Took a trip to a city about fifty miles away yesterday and asked it to navigate to a business that we had not been to before.

I knew something was off when we were obviously in a very residential area and the the Nav said your destination is on the left...

No signs and was obviously just someone's home.

I guess Tesla uses google maps to some extent. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,492  
Mine has a sense of humor as well- Took a trip to a city about fifty miles away yesterday and asked it to navigate to a business that we had not been to before.

I knew something was off when we were obviously in a very residential area and the the Nav said your destination is on the left...

No signs and was obviously just someone's home.

I guess Tesla uses google maps to some extent. :)
I'm sure I read that Tesla's maps are based off of Google's work.

Some of the intersections that was very jerky are getting smooth now.

I was happy to confirm that the car will move off the road safely and stop when you meeting someone and a tight situation with FSD.

My 3 hours of non-stop driving burnt 22% of a my range but when you're doing 25 to 35 mile, an hour range goes up. I think I mentioned it but Elon Musk one time said the hyper milers are running about 18 miles per hour to get the best range.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,493  
Wow at 18 mph, my Amish neighbor would get there faster with his horse and buggy and the only fuel he needs is grass.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,494  
Wow at 18 mph, my Amish neighbor would get there faster with his horse and buggy and the only fuel he needs is grass.
And water :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,496  

Before I had access to FSD beta I found these videos interesting but boring. :)

It can make faster and better driving decisions because it is gathering 360 degree data all of the time.

The millions of FSD miles of data really makes a difference.

Huge is no other car company has an any road any time concept on the road that's 100% vision only based like humans.

If arthritis had not made my spine from my head bone to my tail bone one solid peice I am not sure I would be excited about paying $7 daily for FSD but having my own personal Robo Taxis is appealing iny case.

As they say No Accident is the Best kind of accident.

Since everyone's FSD learning experiences are logged for other Tesla owners to benefit from I have a small part in making the world a safer place hopefully.

This is a guy giving his Dad a FSD ride.

As mentioned you can see what the car is planning to do on the monitor before it happens.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,497  
It’s amusing that so many self-proclaimed “car guys” turn their back on one of the most exciting timings to happen in cars, in a very long time. If you’re not enamored with the mind-bending low-end torque and off the line acceleration potential of a serious AWD dual motor EV, you have probably just never experienced one for yourself.

I’ll always own some big-displacement ICE’s, there’s an excitement to that which I’ll never abandon. But I’m itching to play with a fast EV, as well. I’ve driven a few, friends and family, but have not made a purchase yet.

I really don’t understand the near-tribal “us vs them” mentality of several posters, here. I love all cars, excepting those living rooms on wheels that soccer moms cart their families around in.
Yea we could buy a "few" Tesla Plaids...some people have never owned a real drag car before.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,498  
Yea we could buy a "few" Tesla Plaids...some people have never owned a real drag car before.
I think you should quantify that with real "streetable" "daily driver" "practical" drag car for an accurate comparison. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,499  
YEAH we have Horses... Grass only my a--

Hay is only a part of what having them costs

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,500  
I think you should quantify that with real "streetable" "daily driver" "practical" drag car for an accurate comparison. ;)
People who want one, enamored by 'creature comforts', high tech, love Elon, green reasons, "saving money", never had a fast car...whatever floats your boat...buy one and enjoy! Just don't try a mandate, ramming it down people's throats, mandating electric.
Everyone we know says if 2035 is the elimination of ice we'll all buy a 2034 ice model that we'll have til we die.
EVs will never have enough appeal, jimmies, etc to convince ice proponents to buy one.