Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,051  
Back when I was around the car business the sales tax alone on a new car often was enough to pay in full for something reliable from the trade in lot... maybe more so today at 10.75% sales tax not to mention new car registration and license cost.
When I price the replacement for our 2010 F-150 it came out to be $70,500 out the door and $3,500 of that was sales tax at Kentucky 6%. Sales tax keeps things running but it does not add anything to the value of a vehicle long term or long term.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,053  
No wonder the new Maverick sold out in the first year when you compare those prices.
With two in college and our Leaf being off the road for repair rebuild I had decided if I could find one in case of an emergency need for a vehicle I would just get a Maverick. Sure they come up short in some aspects but where are you going to find a new vehicle for $20,000 today that will haul 4-5 people?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,055  
Assuming your time has no value and you can miss work for extended periods and you don’t count the radiator repairs, transmission repairs, replaced water pumps, replaced alternators, replaced air conditioner compressors, replaced heater cores, replaced timing chains, replaced fuel injectors, replaced fuel pumps, replaced window motors, replaced struts, replaced ball joints, replaced CV joints, ad nauseam. And you don’t mind sitting on the side of the road with a broken down car. And you don’t mind driving a worn out car all the time. Been there, done that.
Preventative maintenance, good quality parts and catching problems while they are still annoyances goes a long way.
We have a 2005 Yukon with almost 200k miles on the clock. We bought it 8 years ago next month with ~90k miles on it.
In that time it has had oil changes once a year, a coolant change, a transmission fluid flush, a transfer case fluid change, a rear AC lineset replacement, a waterpump, a serpentine belt tensioner, a CV axle, 2 front wheel bearings, 5 wheelspeed sensors, plugs and wires, brakes and an airbag impact sensor.
Total cost, well under $3000 and its never come home on a wrecker or left us stranded (just took it on a ~6 hour each way trip last week) and its still very comfortable on the road.
It is due for shocks, probably about due for a rear diff and transfer case fluid change, need to look into the wiring for the front impact sensors (one is throwing a code) and get after some rust prevention.

Had a 2008 Taurus X with over 200k miles on it (bought with ~178k miles, sold with close to 210k miles) and other than a water pump/timing chain at $1400 (water pump is driven off of the timing chain), a rear spring that broke and consumables (fluids, shocks, suspension components, an engine mount, a muffler flex pipe that broke due to the engine mount and brakes) it was trouble free.
When someone hit it, insurance paid me what I had into buying it, bringing maintenance up to date and then some.

Aaron Z

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,056  
With two in college and our Leaf being off the road for repair rebuild I had decided if I could find one in case of an emergency need for a vehicle I would just get a Maverick. Sure they come up short in some aspects but where are you going to find a new vehicle for $20,000 today that will haul 4-5 people?
New ones that you can actually buy are running about $40k

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,057  
Assuming your time has no value and you can miss work for extended periods and you don’t count the radiator repairs, transmission repairs, replaced water pumps, replaced alternators, replaced air conditioner compressors, replaced heater cores, replaced timing chains, replaced fuel injectors, replaced fuel pumps, replaced window motors, replaced struts, replaced ball joints, replaced CV joints, ad nauseam. And you don’t mind sitting on the side of the road with a broken down car. And you don’t mind driving a worn out car all the time. Been there, done that.
Same here. What's the dollar value of not having your wife or daughter get stuck in the ghetto at midnight with a broken down car? Or the dollar value of losing your job because your car broke down and now you have no way to get there? If you don't have a choice you make due, but I've owned enough crappy cars to know that an unreliable POS is almost as bad as not having a car at all.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,059  
Well, we've always had at least two cars, since the wife and I both work. On the few occasions that one was down, we'd drive each other to work. Heck, for about 25 years, we rode to work together every day, as we worked the same shift and only 2 blocks apart.

I do most of my work myself. The few jobs I can't handle, we have a trusted mechanic.

Preventative maintenance goes a long way towards a reliable car. I have to say, we've had pretty good luck with our old used cars. They've always been clean interiors and function.

As I've mentioned before on TBN, my wife says "We have to have one car that's presentable for weddings and funerals... and then YOUR vehicle." 🤣

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,060  
That's what insurance is for.
I think you missed the point insurance does not pay for improvements like that that's why my $13,000 new battery did not change my $12,000 check that I got from the insurance company which was what they could online or Craigslist