Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,141  
I couldn't get excited about going off road in a $55K vehicle but many do. :)
Good point. Me neither.

But in 20+ years I've never put a scratch on the Subaru offroad. I need to keep it. And use the Model Y 'SUV' on paved roads.

I thought air raised suspension would be on the Y, before it came out. But there's no mention of that since.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,142  
Now that's scary. And I think we're much farther along that path than is realized.

Example this week is the wildly divergent opinions on the Ohio rail disaster. I can't help but think different people are hearing different narratives, depending on what the news sources already know about them. And this is calculated. Fine-tuned, even.
Agreed. Excellent post, but probably worthy of a separate thread of its own. Link back here, if you start one.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,143  
I guess it depends on why one would need a Forester in the first place. Both are 4x4. but ...

Tesla - If you have to drive on ice its superior for traction, and safer.

Forester - I think is better for this kind of adventure.

I want to buy a Model Y but I'll have to keep the Outback along with it, for real 4x4 use.
I see the Tesla's of today as akin to the 8088's and 286's of the 1980's, or the Apple II if you happened to be a school student at the time. They're laughably crude and primitive, looking back on them today, but without them we wouldn't be chatting here now on our modern devices and networks.

All the debate and discussion over Tesla and others today is going to look pretty quaint and infantile, 20 years from today.

Businesses in the 1980's were continuing their on-paper accounting and inventory, alongside the early computers. Anyone remember the giant high-speed dot-matrix printers that would rip thru an entire 1800 page carton of continuous tractor-fed paper, printing their inventory updates every night? That's where we are today, with EV's... keeping one foot in our beloved ICE's, while starting to toy with the new tech.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,144  
@sd455dan this is some of the evolution history behind our Model Y dual motor from 8 years ago. After driving on water covered ice in the storm from a few weeks ago, I realized I could get rid of my 2010 Subaru Forester. This video covers how Tesla beats Subaru as the best traction vehicle.

That is a good look back, Elon had a very good grasp of what he wanted and his overall vision of Tesla cars abilities.
Just watched a look into the Plaid motor , had forgotten the Tesla T is actually a representation of The original Nikola Tesla AC induction motor rotor pole.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,145  
That is a good look back, Elon had a very good grasp of what he wanted and his overall vision of Tesla cars abilities.
Just watched a look into the Plaid motor , had forgotten the Tesla T is actually a representation of The original Nikola Tesla AC induction motor rotor pole.

I had a railroad buddy who made me think of locomotives, like our racing machines, as "maximum-performance machines." Take a look at the AC motors in GE locomotives. A GE AC4400 takes 4400hp diesel and converts that into 145,000 pounds of tractive effort rated at 35% all-weather traction and links to other locomotives on the same train to work together. Years ago AC motors revolutionized railroading because you could keep giving them the beans without overheating as would happen with the old DC motors they have replaced.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,146  
Years ago AC motors revolutionized railroading because you could keep giving them the beans without overheating as would happen with the old DC motors they have replaced.
I'm no expert on motors, but I had thought the older RR motors were all repulsion-induction motors, a type which operates very similarly to a DC motor with regard to heat generation. RI motors have amazing torque, when compared to most other AC types, but heat is the expense of that benefit.

I suspect the choice to go AC on the RR lines has more to do with an easy ability to step voltages and manage I2R losses, given the tech available at the time. Today it wouldn't be nearly such an issue, but back when the RR's were first electrifying, only AC offered an easy means to step voltage up and down with minimal losses.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,147  
I see the Tesla's of today as akin to the 8088's and 286's of the 1980's, or the Apple II if you happened to be a school student at the time. They're laughably crude and primitive, looking back on them today, but without them we wouldn't be chatting here now on our modern devices and networks.

All the debate and discussion over Tesla and others today is going to look pretty quaint and infantile, 20 years from today.

Businesses in the 1980's were continuing their on-paper accounting and inventory, alongside the early computers. Anyone remember the giant high-speed dot-matrix printers that would rip thru an entire 1800 page carton of continuous tractor-fed paper, printing their inventory updates every night? That's where we are today, with EV's... keeping one foot in our beloved ICE's, while starting to toy with the new tech.
Re computers BTDT. Those big printers that ate cartons of paper had a ribbon with the characters on it for the printhead, and would toss the ribbon occasionally.

I don't see today's Teslas as becoming obsolete very soon. Today a 486 laptop running XP can do nearly the same practical office work as something with Win11. (And is probably what actually exists in less developed countries). Assuming Tesla keeps up with software updates, I think this is a reasonable comparison. Today's Teslas will become old, but far from not usable.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#7,149  
LFP is already the preferred in battery backup systems due to its charging stability.

Takehome - up to 40% loss of range in cold temps.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#7,150  
Some pretty cool "potential" battery tech.