Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,421  
Predictors are nothing but talking heads.
Occasionally true. More frequently, talking heads like to take a half understanding of a scientific prediction and make invalid or unsupported conclusions.

What's key to remember is that predictions are calculations made on current conditions, and the concern they generate often cause a change in the current conditions. Call many of them self-defeating prophecies, if you will.

A good example we can likely all remember is the ozone layer freak-out of the mid-1980's. The press generated by predictions of depletion rate caused product manufacturers to change the propellants they use in aerosol cans, to avoid consumer backlash, and eventually governments to change permissible chemicals used as refrigerant and fire suppression. Result? The ozone layer depletion reversed.

So, were those making the original predictions wrong? No. If we had stayed the course we were on, rather than adjusting, things would have continued much as predicted. We changed the conditions, therefore invalidating the prediction. This cycle has been repeated countless times, on many fronts.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,422  
This was my first dive into Flow Battery technology.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,423  
As far as GM having the upper hand...I wager a majority of consumers (that have not looked into EVs) have/had no idea what FSD is or was even aware such thing were becoming available...GM is actually informing the public...that gives them the upper had when it comes to recognition...!
That GM thing advertising heavily this past week is not FSD. It's SuperCruise.

Apples to apples it's GM SuperCruise VS Tesla Autopilot.

Tesla Autopilot is not FSD either.

Tesla offers other packages that do more than Autopilot. Enhanced autopilot and FSD.

This explains it better than I can, and they seem to think Tesla's Autopilot is a better system.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,424  
My recent FSD update was 2023.12.10 Beta. For the first time I have the city streets function, even unstriped one lane county roads with self-driving feature. On one lane non stripped roads it drives down the middle until it starts meeting someone. Then it gets over as far as it can. If it is tight it will get over as far as can and come to a complete stop so the other car is in control of where you impact or not.

I do not know of anyone else with FSD so I may be going through intersections as the first Tesla so there is a lot of learning. But since each trip I go through an intersection it seems to start improving in the accuracy and smoothness.

I still expect FSD to hit its prime a few years after the next generation. 4 hardware comes out.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,425  
Just saying that because GM advertises "hands free driving"...they are introducing something that many consumers would normally not know about...

I did read a rumor that Tesla may start advertising...

I don't care about either product/service...just saying that if you mention "hands free driving"...people will associate it with GM...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,426  
"Autopilot is also able to "remember" information from drivers' experiences and redistribute that information to other Tesla models online. This essentially means that any information learned by one Tesla model should be shared by every

Actually ever Tesla that ships with the onboard FSD computer is run FSD software in the background and is being remembered by the mother ship. Since I pay $200 per month for FSD I can send a message why I had to disengage FSD. Once another FSD user comes to the same intersection that I initially struggled with it should be smooth sailing.
So on top of the high price of Tesla , to get all it's supposed good features you have to also pay $200 per month for software connectivity .....so $2400 per year or over 10 yr lifespan at least $24,000 , so that price comparability to average ICE vehicles does not include the extra $24,000 ....hmmm . Now I recognize that people that are incapable of learning to be skilled drivers ( millenials ? , or extreme elderly) see importance of this crutch, but quite frankly quite a few North Americans would not want big brother tracking their driving that exactly , and consider it an invasion of privacy ! But I can only imagine how happy companies like Tesla or other Car manufacturers are to be able to have guaranteed monthly income like they have already tried for other features .....nope not for me !!!!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,427  

Automotive parts suppliers choosing Death over Change.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,428  
Gale... 2ndtier suppliers have always been and will always be under the OEM's thumb. How it works.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,429  
So on top of the high price of Tesla , to get all it's supposed good features you have to also pay $200 per month for software connectivity .....so $2400 per year or over 10 yr lifespan at least $24,000 , so that price comparability to average ICE vehicles does not include the extra $24,000 ....hmmm . Now I recognize that people that are incapable of learning to be skilled drivers ( millenials ? , or extreme elderly) see importance of this crutch, but quite frankly quite a few North Americans would not want big brother tracking their driving that exactly , and consider it an invasion of privacy ! But I can only imagine how happy companies like Tesla or other Car manufacturers are to be able to have guaranteed monthly income like they have already tried for other features .....nope not for me !!!!
To me it's similar to a timeshare. Ironically a good friend recently bought an EV and they "own" a timeshare. He doesn't look at the big picture factoring everything in. It's so easy to say you're getting 120 mpg equivalent, until you factor in the real cost.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,430  
Or you buy the enhanced features outright for less money when you buy the car than 10yrs of subscription service.

Or you don’t care about the enhanced features and stick with basic Autopilot.

Are choices bad in this case?

I only paid 2 months of FSD, not much benefit for my driving. I do drive 75%+ of all miles on autopilot. Love that system.