Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,921  
The Earlier Model S was the car GrumpyCat was referring to.
My S's VIN was under 27,000. So "very early". Pre-autopilot. Has Mercedes-Benz steering column, turn signal, cruise control stalk, transmission lever. Same as Mercedes-Benz was using in 2009 (I had a 2009 ML320 at the time I got the S) and some models up to 2010 or 2011. The turn signal lever is down low where the driver can not see it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,922  
Pricewise: right from Tesla's order page... New Inventory Model Y rear drive and AWD Long Range models in stock.
The thing to do is shop for any inventory car near, not just your nearest Dealer/Showroom/Service Center. Brentwood is 92 miles (been there many times) but Inventory cars were full price. Memphis is 209 miles and my Y was discounted $3570.

I can drive an extra 351 miles (have to include my "chase car" which takes me to the Dealer) for $3570. Heck, I didn't transfer my Lifetime Supercharging from the S because had I done so the Inventory discount disappears. I haven't Supercharged $200-$300 the past 10 years. Gave the S to my sister who paid the repair bill. She will order an X and transfer the Supercharging then she and her husband will go explore the western USA for a couple months this spring. The S will then go to her step son.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,923  
Hmmm according to your past older post you spent $100,000 on your Tesla S a few years ago.
10 years ago. Certainly not "recent".

You said, "Of course the guy that just spent $100,000 on Tesla would disagree"

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,924  
How callous of you......fortunately the Federal Government Safety people think the lives of those drivers in the Tesla or future drivers behind the Tesla stopping radically or pedestrians in the crossings are important . Here us some of the hundreds of articles.
Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot feature after nearly 1,000 crashes MSN MSN
Tesla forced to recall just about every car it has ever built
Pay attention. The autopilot feature crashed only because the driver was not paying attention.

I have briefly driven with autopilot in my sister's X. Watched her drive with autopilot many more miles, she has driven 10's of thousands of miles on autopilot and says often it is fantastic and sometimes outright stupid. Her job as driver is to catch it being stupid before bad things happen.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,926  
These rebates are fantastic!!!!!
$7,500 Federal!!!!! And since I'm a Virginia resident of (71 years)...
"Beginning January 1, 2022, a resident of the Commonwealth who purchases a new electric motor vehicle from a participating dealer shall be eligible for a rebate of $2,500. A qualified resident of the Commonwealth who purchases such vehicle shall also be eligible for an additional $2,000 enhanced rebate."
Imagine...$12,000 in rebates!!! Wow! Now I want one or two...except there is a caveat:
The AGI limit is:
"$150,000 for single filers, $225,000 for heads of households and $300,000 for married couples."
Therefore only the lower income get the rebate.
Where's my free stuff?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,927  
Pay attention. The autopilot feature crashed only because the driver was not paying attention.

I have briefly driven with autopilot in my sister's X. Watched her drive with autopilot many more miles, she has driven 10's of thousands of miles on autopilot and says often it is fantastic and sometimes outright stupid. Her job as driver is to catch it being stupid before bad things happen.
Thanks for proving my point.....sure your middle age (or older ?) sister is part of the few that knows enough to drive with great attention......"BECAUSE AUTOPILOT IS SOMETIMES OUTRIGHT STUPID " your words ! ........the rest of the driver population coming into the EV world in bigger numbers will have significant skill and trust attention gaps . So " not pay attention" your words again ! I read how in the UK they are not even approved by UK Gov to be used in FSD. But stand to be corrected on that tidbit.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,928  
So car it is and I love driving retired now adventures and we will take our time on return trip with perhaps detour to Nashville etc.
I can appreciate that. If I were retired, the balance would indeed shift more toward driving. Right now, in the thick of the "busy years" with kids and work, time has become more precious than money. But this shall pass...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,929  
Thanks for proving my point.....sure your middle age (or older ?) sister is part of the few that knows enough to drive with great attention......"BECAUSE AUTOPILOT IS SOMETIMES OUTRIGHT STUPID " your words ! ........the rest of the driver population coming into the EV world in bigger numbers will have significant skill and trust attention gaps . So " not pay attention" your words again ! I read how in the UK they are not even approved by UK Gov to be used in FSD. But stand to be corrected on that tidbit.
Darwin. Is not just a good idea, it’s the law.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,930  
The thing to do is shop for any inventory car near, not just your nearest Dealer/Showroom/Service Center. Brentwood is 92 miles (been there many times) but Inventory cars were full price. Memphis is 209 miles and my Y was discounted $3570.

I can drive an extra 351 miles (have to include my "chase car" which takes me to the Dealer) for $3570. Heck, I didn't transfer my Lifetime Supercharging from the S because had I done so the Inventory discount disappears. I haven't Supercharged $200-$300 the past 10 years. Gave the S to my sister who paid the repair bill. She will order an X and transfer the Supercharging then she and her husband will go explore the western USA for a couple months this spring. The S will then go to her step son.

Grumpycat you can save a bit more?

Gale, myself, and Tradosaurus forgot to use referral points deal.

Hope you use yours, it may pay for a wall connector or something else.