Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,101  
Things only happen for profit. There is no free lunch. With EVs you just pre pay for energy.
I don't see that in a $50k non-subsidized Model Y Long Range. More than a match for any ICE in same price range.

Transferred my TeslaFi account to my sister who now owns the S it was monitoring. Opened a new account for tracking the Y. I’ll know my “fuel” costs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,102  
Maybe if "grown men" were running the other car companies they would not be back peddling on EV's. They have to show a profit to survive and EV's are not the answer.

Tesla has no other option but EV's. But currently, Tesla lacks the infrastructure to support/service EV's for many folks who live away from where the citiots live. Tesla can be profitable with a niche market...which is where EV's are today.

If you were a "grown man" you would realize what works for you is not going to work for everyone. In my case, even if Tesla had a service facility 25 miles away, none of their vehicles would be a consideration. I am not "consumed by fear", but I am a realist.

You are on a tractor forum. Most of us live in parts of America where a tractor makes sense or is a necessity. That is not where citiots live. Rural folks may not be the brightest folks in the world, but most have common sense. You get very little support for your views on EV's because they lack common sense.

As one of our "fearless leaders" called us...we are the Deplorables. We are familiar with the smell of bullshit.
Giving you a " Good Post" thumbs up is not enough ......EXCELLENT POST !

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,103  
My sister in law said she is shopping for an EV… my brother says it doesn’t pencil out but she is adamant…

In 20 years she has bought 5 cars… some were totaled but none by family…

She has a very nice 2000 Subaru purchased just prior to pandemic but daughter has it mostly because it’s safe and the previous Honda mini van which is battle scarred from others is what sister in law drives most days.

I mentioned Tesla Model Y long range but my brother said don’t encourage.

At least it would be buying local made in California…. :) but she no longer cares for Elon :-(

It gets pricey for my brother keeping the fleet up to date… he just bought a new gooseneck so next purchase is hers.

Her commute is 20 miles round trip and mostly all local driving and work has preferred EV parking plus California carpool lane benefits… plus the battle scarred Honda looks out of place in the Doctor parking lot…

I did point out if you think Honda repairs are expensive just see what EV cost of repairs are…

No idea if Tesla is ranch/farm life ready as the Honda hauls hay, saddles and tack and provisions… a real work horse.

The Honda tires are run flats which she really wanted for safety but sticker shock sets in when replacing and they always need to be ordered.

Can a Tesla Y long range be out the door under 50k and tires suitable for gravel roads?

Maybe a hybrid Toyota suv would be better?

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,104  
I don't see that in a $50k non-subsidized Model Y Long Range. More than a match for any ICE in same price range.

Transferred my TeslaFi account to my sister who now owns the S it was monitoring. Opened a new account for tracking the Y. I’ll know my “fuel” cost

Transferred my TeslaFi account to my sister who now owns the S it was monitoring. Opened a new account for tracking the Y. I’ll know my “fuel” costs.

With less interior room than a CRV, it’s more a car than an SUV or crossover. It comes at a $15k-$17k premium to be AWD like the CRV. So, as far as utility, and the function of the vehicle… I’m prepaying $15k for energy. The CRV also gives me more range between fill ups, as well as faster fill ups, and 32MPG in mixed driving. So, yes, to me I am pre paying for energy, before I even pay for the energy to charge the Model Y.

Now, it does cost me $500/yr more to operate my CRV in fuel costs, than the Model Y. But, even in 10 years, that’s $5000 in extra fuel costs. The average return on investment of the $15k I didn’t use on the Model Y, generates $15k in returns over that 10 years. Completely wiping out the fuel savings and maintenance costs of the CRV. Not to mention the convenience of 400 miles of true range and 5 minute fill ups on our road trips.

I will own an EV one day, but not because it makes any logical sense to do so. But just becuase.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,105  
Maybe if "grown men" were running the other car companies they would not be back peddling on EV's. They have to show a profit to survive and EV's are not the answer.
I think the legacy auto makers have really painted themselves into a corner, to some degree. EV's are the future, there is no doubt in my mind about it, the only question is the order and duration of events between now and that eventuality. I will be astounded of the majority of cars on the road are still ICE in 20 or 30 years, it just doesn't seem possible.

In the short term, EV's may be unprofitable, but I'm convinced that ignoring them altogether will be the long-term demise of any auto brand.

The trouble with tackling long-term R&D in modern publicly-traded companies is that the performance of the company and its officers are judged on a time scale (quarterly, yearly) that's way too short to make very large long-term investments attractive. This dichotomy may ultimately spell the end for many of the brands we know today.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,106  
I think the legacy auto makers have really painted themselves into a corner, to some degree. EV's are the future, there is no doubt in my mind about it, the only question is the order and duration of events between now and that eventuality. I will be astounded of the majority of cars on the road are still ICE in 20 or 30 years, it just doesn't seem possible.

In the short term, EV's may be unprofitable, but I'm convinced that ignoring them altogether will be the long-term demise of any auto brand.

The trouble with tackling long-term R&D in modern publicly-traded companies is that the performance of the company and its officers are judged on a time scale (quarterly, yearly) that's way too short to make very large long-term investments attractive. This dichotomy may ultimately spell the end for many of the brands we know today.
At a Bay Area stoplight last night with 5 other cars and I was the only ICE

3 were Tesla which now seems as ubiquitous as VW bugs were years ago in the Bay Area.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,107  
Just pass midnight this morning on our way home enjoying the FSD update driving with only the left hand and no feet when we came over a small hill and saw a deer on the right standing ready to step onto the pavement . FSD was set to obey the speed limit which was 55.

I took no action but instantly felt the Regen go to Max and bring Blue to a controlled stop. When the car came to a complete stop the deer turned and went back from where it was coming from. With no input from me, Blue continued on the trip and got her speed back up to 55.

I was impressed but even more so I was glad the wife got to see that she can trust FSD in a case like that.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,108  
I understand but if I was behind you I'd be laying on the horn with both birds flying!
We have lots of deer all around here and rarely do I stop for one...I use my own judgment.
I'd be afraid I'd get pile drived if I came to a full stop for every deer along the road.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,109  
A Saturday morning salute to fathers with an imagination.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,110  
Can a Tesla Y long range be out the door under 50k and tires suitable for gravel roads?
My Model Y Long Range Dual Motor (all wheel drive) was purchased off Inventory which gave a $3570 discount based on the site I took delivery. Inventory discount is often $0, depends on where. But Out The Door price before sales tax was $49k. The Long Range is about $9k option. I also got the $1000 trailer hitch.

Another Model Y owner, I believe here, purchased 18" wheels and mounted winter 255/55-18 tires replacing the 255/45-19 OE tire/wheel.

Go to Tesla.com and price one out for yourself. The price you see there is the price you pay.