Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,221  
Really curious how you handle the cost per mile calculation when the electric cost per kWh is variable across locations and including by time of day in the some locations. I keep all my gas receipt for tax reason but know that the math for longer time frames gets rather tedious.
But if you are just getting a number close to your estimated baseline cost, it would be straight forward.
Not knocking it, I was just curious if Tesla had a better method.

Tesla includes a KWH cost tracker in the phone ap that allows for times when charging is cheaper and also what any supercharging costs you.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,222  
I like the last over the air update that mounts side view mirrors in the middle of the dash and if it is not clear you get a red band down the side of the internal side view mirror view

So if there's something that keeps you from turning right or left, you get to see that visual in your face in the middle of the dash.
Can these updates be rolled back, or have features disabled? What you describe would drive me nuts.

Personally, I find the huge tv screens that some vehicles have in the middle of the dash to be deal killers. Not a jab at Tesla, or even limited to EVs...there are ICE vehicles that have them too. The sad thing is that automakers seem to view ever-larger screens to be a selling point.

Maybe automakers could go back to building vehicles you can actually see out of and eliminate all these cameras/screens. Just one more thing to break IMHO.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,223  
Can these updates be rolled back, or have features disabled? What you describe would drive me nuts.

Personally, I find the huge tv screens that some vehicles have in the middle of the dash to be deal killers. Not a jab at Tesla, or even limited to EVs...there are ICE vehicles that have them too. The sad thing is that automakers seem to view ever-larger screens to be a selling point.

Maybe automakers could go back to building vehicles you can actually see out of and eliminate all these cameras/screens. Just one more thing to break IMHO.
The thing that bothers me the most about the huge displays is that it usually means the manufacturers have done away with physical switches. I prefer a physical switch over a screen button that I have to scroll to find. I want to be able to reach over and crank up the temperature, fan speed, heat, defrost, etc. quickly without fumbling around on a screen. One thing I don't like is finding the heated steering wheel control on my wife's SUV. If you use auto start and the temperature is low, the heated seats and steering wheel will be on when you get in. Finding the right screen and the off button for the steering wheel is a pain in the a$$. All the other controls are redundant and can be accessed by physical switch or screen button.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,224  
Cell phone too distracting which I agree but how is a big screen not at least as distracting…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,225  
Our 2020 Outback is pretty nice, as far as the digital display goes. It's integrated into the dash and doesn't look like it's an afterthought and glued on. There are real heater buttons on the sides of it so you don't have to use the screen. So is the defroster button. Has radio volume and tuning knobs as well. Also redundant radio buttons on the steering wheel, so you don't have to look over at the display.

I find it very easy to use. It won't let you do complex tasks on the screen if you're moving. You have to stop in park to change major settings. Discourages distraction, I guess.

Also, apple air play makes it easy to use voice commands for navigation, calls, etc. on our iPhones, so completely hands free.

Overall, I really like it.

Similar to this shot...

IMG_3333.jpeg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,226  
I always had great respect for Subaru. My wife and I were early adopters and risked purchase of one of the early new Subarus imported into Canada back then. It was a 1983 Subaru GL two wheel drive station wagon. Subaru had so many unique ways of thinking , starting with the flat horizontally opposed 4 cyl, and comfortable durable well placed interior. Still my wife's favorite car memory.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,227  
Really curious how you handle the cost per mile calculation when the electric cost per kWh is variable across locations and including by time of day in the some locations. I keep all my gas receipt for tax reason but know that the math for longer time frames gets rather tedious.
But if you are just getting a number close to your estimated baseline cost, it would be straight forward.
Not knocking it, I was just curious if Tesla had a better method.
Tesla doesn’t really care about aggregating data in that format, hence 3rd party TeslaFi.

As for differing costs, 99% is charged at home, and TeslaFi has access to my Supercharger billing.

My home electric cost varies about 1/10th ¢ per month.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,228  
With all the home charging and not everyone having solar offset it still amazed me with kWh costs heading to 50 cents just how many olug in electrics I see everyday.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,229  
With all the home charging and not everyone having solar offset it still amazed me with kWh costs heading to 50 cents just how many olug in electrics I see everyday.
California has grossly mismanaged their electric utilities even before Enron.

Big surprise is that as badly as TVA is run, it is run surprisingly well.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,230  

It's basically is the same as the OTA updates you run on a smart phone, home computer etc.