Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,291  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,292  
China had to do something. First of all, they have no petroleum deposits, but do have many rivers that lend themselves to hydroelectric production as well as a willingness to burn coal to generate electricity. Secondly, have you seen pictures of any of their large cities? The air is so thick you can hardly see a half mile (0.804672 km). As bad, if not worse than any western city at the dawn of the industrial age. Whether or not their leaders care about the health of their population, they're smart enough to know that it's hampering the economy. And being a totalitaran state the government has the ability and willingness to make such decrees. How it works out long term remains to be seen.
It's still happening in California...

The air so thick with pollution the street lights come on at high noon and taking a breath is detrimental to health with shelter in place orders...

The series of devastating fires with some hundreds of miles away turn daylight to Twilight...

Yet logging continues to be curtailed removing a single tree requires a permit with public hearing and the use of mitigation measures like clearing brush with gas powered brush cutters against the law...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,293  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,294  
That guy was Mr. Nissan and after he got his bath he gave me a new $13,000 battery. Since 2019 owning our used 2016 Leaf SL it has only been in for service once and that was to get the free up-sized new $13,000 traction battery pack. The 2023 Tesla Model Y picked 20 Jan 2023 now has over 20,000 miles on it has not had its first oil change or dealership visit. When I backed into the side by side sitting in the driveway my local body shop took care of that in a professional way. Most people are not interested in giving a local dealership an extra 3 to 5 thousand dollars to get a vehicle that really needs next to no service and probably will be warranty work if it does. Tesla's do need tweaking and tune-ups from time to time but those are done in my driveway through my home Wi-Fi connection. Brakes and tune-ups are not a thing with Teslas.

Yes I understand how we old guys can get confused by change but thankfully I have a 26-year-old son who's straightens me out on the new stuff. 🙂

We just have to remember the old FFA Creed of better days through better ways. :)
Gale, I just sold my 2016 F150. When I bought it in 2019, it had 134K miles. It had 177k miles when I sold it. All I did was tires, brakes and fluid changes. I replaced the tailgate latch ($20) and the damn Sync system never worked right...but cannot blame that on ICE issues. It did not need to go the dealer for a free $13,000 battery pack. It cost me $6,500 in deprecation over 4 years and 43k miles. Averaged 20.8 mpg so fuel cost was about $7,000. Call it $14k total cost for 43k miles...less than $.35/mile.

Keep us updated on how your EV's do. 20k trouble free miles is a good start...LOL. It is interesting to get real world reports from people we can trust instead of the internet BS we get inundated with. GrumpyCat (IIRC) had some major issues after about 10 years and 75k miles.

One other thing to think about. Those "free" warranty replacements are never free. Those costs get passed on to consumers. Nissan did not charge you directly, but they are not stupid. If there are a lot of "free" replacements needed over the life of an EV, those costs are going to addressed in their business plan. As companies move from dealing with warranties of relatively reliable ICE vehicles that are cheaper to fix, to EV's with less reliability, and more expensive claims, things may not be so rosy. In the long run, EV technology will improve wrt to reliability but there will be growing pains.

I see us having an EV as a second car in about 5-10 years once the industry sorts itself out. It will be great to "plug and go" for most of our driving needs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,295  
I’m beginning to think I’m one of only a few participants on this thread under 70 years old. Kinda surprising for a thread on EVs!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,296  
Well Grumpy I call BS on your claim that Tesla has not taken Gov money .....here is some of hundreds of news articles......https://www.rt.com/usa/264065-musk-tesla-government-subsidies/....... Elon Musk requested $100 million from the US government for an ambitious new project — here's his plan. U.S. government will pay Tesla to open its charger network to non-Tesla EVs
Here's what I don't get. Supposedly (?) Elon has a net worth of $254.7 billion. He's asking the U.S. government for $100 mil.?
That's the equivalent of someone with a million dollar net worth asking the government for $392.62!!!!!
It just doesn't add up!?!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,297  
I’m beginning to think I’m one of only a few participants on this thread under 70 years old. Kinda surprising for a thread on EVs!
Hey young fella ! I'm only 66 :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,298  
Here's what I don't get. Supposedly (?) Elon has a net worth of $254.7 billion. He's asking the U.S. government for $100 mil.?
That's the equivalent of someone with a million dollar net worth asking the government for $392.62!!!!!
It just doesn't add up!?!
Just Business...