Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,311  
EV or Hydrogen trucks are already law with phase in dates for ports like Oakland which moves a lot of containers.

Existing fleets of low emission will be limited to 18 years or 800,000 miles and the forced retirement.

A new hydrogen fueling station to serve the port is under construction.

I believe the more precise wording is zero emission.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,312  
Tesla sure isn't shy about asking for government (tax payers) money.

Travis county Texas gave Tesla tax breaks worth a minimum of 14.7 million to build it's plant near Austin.

Tesla also successfully built a car plant in Shanghai in under a year, with $1.6 billion in loans and other assistance from the Chinese government.

November 2019, New York state officials wrote down $959 million that they spent to build and help equip a Tesla solar-panel factory in Buffalo.

Excellent points.....and any google news search shows hundreds of results re " Tesla Government charge subsidies.....looks like the Tesla circle j#$# folks have a warped view on what free money they get to fit their narrative and their saviour Ego Musk.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,313  
Excellent points.....and any google news search shows hundreds of results re " Tesla Government charge subsidies.....looks like the Tesla circle j#$# folks have a warped view on what free money they get to fit their narrative and their saviour Ego Musk.
Musk has fallen from Grace… quite a backlash with his Twitter overhaul…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,314  
How is it fair we can't get either a state or federal ev rebate?
You buy an EV you get a Federal Tax Credit. Not rebate.

Is it fair the government picks winners and losers? No. But when they do something favorable then it is totally fair to take full advantage of it.

If you pay $200/year Alabama ev fee, license, registration and insurance is higher then all of that has to be factored in as well as home or remote charging for anyone to understand the true cost of ev ownership, not to mention higher initial cost as well as FSD monthly fee (if equipped).
Adjusted for inflation my Model Y Long Range is comparable to the cost of my 2007 Prius, less than the cost of my 2000 Avalon. The not-Long Range would have been lower in cost.

At-home charging is dirt cheap. Hardware was just over $500 and has been serving 10 years without hiccup. Cost is 3¢/mile for electricity. Used oversized wire on a 50A breaker. Bought a 60A breaker last week to bump charge current from 40A to 48A. I don't know why, just thought I'd do it because I can.

All new Teslas are equipped with FSD. You pretend fairness to compare a vehicle with FSD against the costs of a vehicle without FSD. I have FSD hardware and have no intention to lease the software.

EV ownership certainly isn't to save money or lower Earth's pollution...so the purpose is???
I've said many times: In 2013 I bought a Tesla Model S 85 because I saw no other car as fun or interesting. No Corvette, Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz. Today my Model Y Long Range is as much better of a car than the S as the S was over my Prius.

It doesn't hurt that my Model Y costs so little to fuel.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,315  
You know he's not asking for a handout. He's just offering to build out some of that charger network that money has been set aside for and what he was willing to do for that would put in a lot of chargers

because he's about 1/4 of price of the competition.

And the Chargers will Actually Work without inducing a stroke, heart attack, or a mental breakdown for the user.

Versus the multiple B I L L I O N S that GM has borrowed and is now repurchasing stock using that tax payer money...

Nice long term "investment" in the companies future.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,316  
Tesla sure isn't shy about asking for government (tax payers) money.

Travis county Texas gave Tesla tax breaks worth a minimum of 14.7 million to build it's plant near Austin.

Tesla also successfully built a car plant in Shanghai in under a year, with $1.6 billion in loans and other assistance from the Chinese government.

November 2019, New York state officials wrote down $959 million that they spent to build and help equip a Tesla solar-panel factory in Buffalo.

You haven't paid any attention to How The Game Is Played in this day of State Capitalism. No industry builds a major facility without bidding between governments, between states, for the best gifts.

Toyota built an engine plant in Huntsville with local and state tax gifts. Then expanded it a few times with more gifts.

Then Toyota/Mazda built a car plant in Huntsville where billions in state funds are being spent to greatly stretch Huntsville city limits to the west where land was available.

Polaris similarly has built in this Huntsville expansion. Major SxS factory.

Remington came to Huntsville with state and local gifts. Wasn't enough, went bankrupt.

Facebook has built a 1000 acre server farm in Huntsville with government gifts.

Honda, Hyundai, BMW, everyone has been building in the south with government gifts. Traditional Detroit manufacturers expand plants in Michigan and Indiana with government gifts.

In this sad day of State Capitalism no industry expands without negotiating favorable terms.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,317  
Name any similar expansion which does not negotiate favorable terms from the government?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,318  
On one hand lots of push to EV and solar both together and individually…

But once all the early adopters are in it’s almost like clockwork the incentives diminish.

The simple incentive will always be low cost electricity but this key component is absent from the California plan as the cost per kWh continues to lead the nation.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,319  
On one hand lots of push to EV and solar both together and individually…

But once all the early adopters are in it’s almost like clockwork the incentives diminish.

The simple incentive will always be low cost electricity but this key component is absent from the California plan as the cost per kWh continues to lead the nation.
My new house will have a significant PV system with storage. Honestly, it is a small percentage of the cost of the house and is One Of Those Things Which Would Be Interesting To Do.

Is also getting a ham radio shack in a storm shelter in the basement.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,320  
New home builds here required to have solar but solid fuel heating device… read wood stove… prohibited.