Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,461  
When my power is out for three days... It would harsh my mellow to also have no way to fuel my car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,462  
What a silly concept to add on diversion time.
If one is charging at home, versus filling at a pump, then I think total diversion time is the only useful measure.

Likewise, if one has to travel farther out of their way to find an EV charger than a gas pump, as I expect often happens, then that extra time should be included in the total diversion.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,463  
When my power is out for three days... It would harsh my mellow to also have no way to fuel my car.
Unless you had the ability to back-feed your house from the vehicle. A whole-house scale UPS, provided by the vehicle battery, would be infinitely convenient.

When my power goes out, I always struggle with predicting if the outage is going to be long enough to make it worth dragging out and backfeeding the portable generator. If the vehicle battery backfeed could carry the house for 30 - 60 minutes, that would cover the vast majority of our outages, and could be easily recharged from a generator in an extended outage.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,464  
There is one servicing dealer in Michigan for Tesla. I will not purchase something that requires driving over 200 miles to get serviced
I believe that has something to do with State Law that requires a certain amount of parts have to be built in Michigan for any car maker to establish a dealership in the state. Interestingly there is a Tesla dealer just south of the Michigan state line on Telegraph Road (M24) about 300 yards past the line, in Ohio. Right next to a Stellantis dealer of all things.

The Menards is there as well and we go to Menards for the 10%off, which this week is 15% off so we will be making the short treck there this week.

Lucas County sales tax is a bit higher however. Why Ohio people come to Michigan to buy groceries. You got to save whatever you can today and I still smoke and so does my wife and squares are a heck of a lot cheaper in Ohio than Michigan too. Only bad habit I have left and I'm not gonna quit either.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,465  
When my power goes out, I always struggle with predicting if the outage is going to be long enough to make it worth dragging out and backfeeding the portable generator. If the vehicle battery backfeed could carry the house for 30 - 60 minutes, that would cover the vast majority of our outages, and could be easily recharged from a generator in an extended outage.
Not ever an issue here. We own a 30KW diesel standby and in 15 seconds it starts up, warms for a minute or so and assumes the entire load and fuels from my 500 gallon bulk tank. 100% turn key. I like turn key operation. Wasn't cheap 20 years ago and I bet really expensive today. I don't do that portable genny thing, though I do own one for the RV. Champion Inverter genny actually. I also use it to power 110 volt power tools when working in the farm fields.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,466  
Our Tesla Model Y and Nissan Leaf SL have proven to me EVs have many advantages but as we all the battery is the weak link long term.

Elon Musk states the best part is no part. Below is some work to reduce battery needs that I have been following for a few years now. It is technical engineer talk but I think most of us can get a picture or where they would like to head with technology. Since I should be set for years to come with the Tesla, I could use low-cost home heating systems today.

Low cost home heating systems has been here for at least a decade, maybe more and no panels on your roof either. Just buy a 'Water Furnace' and have the feed lines buried below the frost line. Closed loop and the water furnace will handle your heating and cooling chores inexpensively. My hunting bud has one and his total electric bill is under 75 bucks a month. I considered one but at my age the ROI is too high so I just refitted our outdated propane furnace with an ultra high efficiency Bryant condensing furnace that runs 95% efficiency. Good enough for this old fart. Cold here this AM too. 18 clicks.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,467  
Not ever an issue here. We own a 30KW diesel standby and in 15 seconds it starts up, warms for a minute or so and assumes the entire load and fuels from my 500 gallon bulk tank. 100% turn key. I like turn key operation. Wasn't cheap 20 years ago and I bet really expensive today. I don't do that portable genny thing, though I do own one for the RV. Champion Inverter genny actually. I also use it to power 110 volt power tools when working in the farm fields.
That would be nice, but we just don't get enough outages to easily justify the time and expense of installation.

When the prior owners of our house put on a large addition 1995, they installed a dedicated 50A circuit to a panel on an exterior wall of the garage, for the purpose of installing an automatic genset. Then the power never went out, for 15 years, so they never got around to bothering with the generator install.

Now 12 years in this house myself, 29 years since that addition, we've still only ever had a few outages of more than a few hours. Less than once per year, on average. The circuit intended for the generator and the space where it was meant to sit have since been used for other things (heat pump), and while we have the ability to add it elsewhere, I'm not sure I'll ever bother. Wheeling a 7kW portable out in the driveway and back-feeding it into the house works well enough to get us thru a few hours or a few days, once every year or two.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,468  
"Tesla will take over nearly 1 million square feet in the development . . .
Tesla will use the space for storage and light assembly."

Tesla expanding in central Texas.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,469  
If one is charging at home, versus filling at a pump, then I think total diversion time is the only useful measure.

Likewise, if one has to travel farther out of their way to find an EV charger than a gas pump, as I expect often happens, then that extra time should be included in the total diversion.
Your sort of right.....but Grumpy shouldn't be focusing on people that rarely leave home for overnight. He may not have a overnight social life or lucky to be part of the future world that has 50 amps to spare for a charger, but many won't be like him. Millions will need roadside charging. But if we want to be OCD silly and add on all times related to charging, then we need to addin the one event time of installing the infrastructure wires and upgrades to home to have a 50 amp charger. Probably 16 hrs or more, oh and add in elec inspector visit etc etc and amortize over 5 or 10 years. So you see where do you stop. Diversion time is negligible because gas stations everywhere. Stick to plug in time including fair amount of roadside charging.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,470