Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,471  
If one is charging at home, versus filling at a pump, then I think total diversion time is the only useful measure.

Likewise, if one has to travel farther out of their way to find an EV charger than a gas pump, as I expect often happens, then that extra time should be included in the total diversion.
Ok. I've said it before and must repeat ().
ICE car, 400 mile range, 28.5 mile average trip would be 14 trips or 2 weeks if out every day. (Our average trip is less than that and we don't go out every day. I don't fill up when tank completely empty...just as an example).
So 14 trips, 3 minute time to fill tank.
EV charging at home: 30 seconds to plug it in, 30 seconds to unplug. 14 trips, 7 minutes.
Which is greater: 7 or 3 minutes?
And yes, the Supercharger diversion, wait time and rerouting is another can of worms!
Anyone follow Jeff Flock's Tesla Chicago to NYC drive on Fox News?
View attachment 842565

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,472  
2024_01_05_11.22.58.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,473  

This video is a good overview of BYD.

It's a fast growing Chinese company and about to pass Tesla in volume. Their average selling price is about half of what Tesla currently gets.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,474  
Your sort of right.....but Grumpy shouldn't be focusing on people that rarely leave home for overnight. He may not have an overnight social life or lucky to be part of the future world that has 50 amps to spare for a charger, but many won't be like him. Millions will need roadside charging. But if we want to be OCD silly and add on all times related to charging, then we need to addin the one event time of installing the infrastructure wires and upgrades to home to have a 50 amp charger. Probably 16 hrs or more, oh and add in elec inspector visit etc etc and amortize over 5 or 10 years. So you see where do you stop. Diversion time is negligible because gas stations everywhere. Stick to plug in time including fair amount of roadside charging.
16 hours to install a 50 amp stove circuit?

I have 100amp service in my house. It only took me about an hour to install a 50 amp breaker and outlet. No service upgrades were required.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,475  
16 hours to install a 50 amp stove circuit?

I have 100amp service in my house. It only took me about an hour to install a 50 amp breaker and outlet. No service upgrades were required.
Let me guess...

Your breaker panel is in the garage. Easy - peasy.

Now, look at the panel being in a finished basement and the garage is at the opposite end of the house. Even though I can do my own wiring, I always pull a permit for a major job. I might be **** but the last thing I need is the insurance company taking issue with not having a job done "properly" and denying a claim. I would be even more concerned if it is a circuit to power an EV as they sometimes catch on fire for no apparent reason.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,476  

This video is a good overview of BYD.

It's a fast growing Chinese company and about to pass Tesla in volume. Their average selling price is about half of what Tesla currently gets.
Already surpassed Tesla in global sales of EVs. About to manufacture in Mexico presumably for the US market.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,477  
So, does that take into all the Lightening 150's or the Mach E's that are stacked up in the holding lots off Miller Road at the Fords assembly plant at Rouge? I go by them regularly and none seem to be going anywhere? Maybe Farley is waiting for them to spontaneously combust like the did last year?

I viewed the new Fords commercial for the lightening. No where does it mention the poor driving range or the price tag and the Mach E is one fugly car.

I'd buy a Tesla before either one and we are a Fords family to boot.

Not that I would anyway. My Focus RS gets 40 mpg and that is good enough for me. Besides, it will mop up a 5.0 ICE Mustang. You put 330 horses in a roller skate, with a 6 speed box and look out.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,478  
Let me guess...

Now, look at the panel being in a finished basement and the garage is at the opposite end of the house. Even though I can do my own wiring, I always pull a permit for a major job. I might be **** but the last thing I need is the insurance company taking issue with not having a job done "properly" and denying a claim. I would be even more concerned if it is a circuit to power an EV as they sometimes catch on fire for no apparent reason.
I have a breaker panel in the garage and a breaker panel in the house.

Heck, it only took me a day to dig a 40' trench from the house to the garage, install two conduits, run wires to the garage from the house, install a small panel in the garage and wire the stove outlet that's out there now for the welder. 8 hours tops total.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,479  
Let me guess...

Exactly.....not everyone has the perfect 4ft away location ! But I am sure Grumpy will jump in with his unique perfect location and unique driving needs. Queue the Grump .....

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,480  
Already surpassed Tesla in global sales of EVs. About to manufacture in Mexico presumably for the US market.
Labor is cheap in Mexico but the quality is cheap as well. That would play right into the Chinese philosophy. Pretty soon we will all be eating raw fish with chopsticks the way it's going and I despise raw fish as much as I despise Sushi. Far as EV burning up in your garage, my cousin parks his Tesla outside and his Beemer and his RAM pickup go in the garage instead. Trouble is, once the catch on fire, there is no putting them out.