Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,481  
I have a breaker panel in the garage and a breaker panel in the house.

Heck, it only took me a day to dig a 40' trench from the house to the garage, install two conduits, run wires to the garage from the house, install a small panel in the garage and wire the stove outlet that's out there now for the welder. 8 hours tops total.
Holy crap your a good worker, I need you as a neighbor :) ....Now Did you include the shopping to get parts and internet search....just kidding everyone is getting OCD about this but if we look at continent wide needs some things to consider. Oh and we forgot the beer run to support our refreshment needs. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,482  
I had to plug cousins Tesla in when he visited last winter when it was cold out. No issue however as I have 400 amp 3 phase service in the shop and 22o-1 outlets available so I did the 220-1 thing with his Tesla. Don't think it could handle the 440-3. Might have combusted it in my driveway....

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,483  
I would be even more concerned if it is a circuit to power an EV as they sometimes catch on fire for no apparent reason.
I've cited cost as the only thing keeping me from buying EV's 2016-2020, when I made my last three vehicle purchases. That's true, it was the primary obstacle at that time.

But today, we are more aware of the several unexplained and seemingly random EV fires while charging. So, while the cost issue may be resolving itself, now I have a new reason to be apprehensive about filling my garages with EV's.

We all know ICE's also catch fire, probably in greater numbers than EV's. But we also have a sense from history that these fires are typically rated to assembly or maintenance issues, and not just random events. Valid or not, I still have the sense that if my ICE catches fire, it's probably my own fault, and not some totally unexpected or random event. But my EV could randomly burst into flames at any moment, as it charges while we sleep, through no lack of maintenance or improper care of my own.

If buying a new car today, this would be one of the factors that potentially sways me back toward ICE, despite so many other factors pushing favor toward EV's.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,484  
Already surpassed Tesla in global sales of EVs. About to manufacture in Mexico presumably for the US market.

Not so sure the BYDs will sell well here.
The Europeans don't seem to care for them.

Other China EV's are selling fairly well like the SAIC MG models and the Volvo's by Geely. Time will tell.
BYD would be very competitive price wise after skirting the 25% tariff.

Fires are a different deal with BYD a one sentence google search brought this up as the first result:

This is according to China's National Emergency Management Department, which supervises the Chinese fire and rescue services. On average, Chinese fire fighters are called to put out 7 burning BEVs every day!
Guess which EV brand have the most cars going up in flames? Yup, BYD.

I think I will stick with the Panasonic cells for now.

not sure I want a car that the Chinese locals call the:

‘Emperor of spontaneous combustion,’

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,485  
Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,486  
What a silly concept to add on diversion time . If that was the case then major diversion time would need to be added for EVs on road,
Diversion time is necessary to accurately account for the difference in time had you not stopped for fuel vs the inconvenience of stopping for fuel.

"Gas stations are on my way to anywhere" doesn't change anything. It still takes time to turn off the road, and return to the road. An EV would start every morning with a full charge (or whatever charge one designates) and would never need to be topped off during a normal day.

Yes, include diversion time for EV too. Such as the time to park at home where your EVSE umbilical is located that takes an additional 15 seconds to attach and another 15 seconds to detach.

In years past driving I-65 a stop at the Supercharger in Bowling Green, KY was necessary to get from Nashville to Louisville. Located a good bit off the interstate, a 20 minute detour. Today one can charge just north of Nashville and again in Elizabethown KY.
and also considering the extra consternation EV users need to use EV screens or cell phones to reduce range anxiety to check where next charging station on away from home trips,
Oh my, just think of the extra consternation of having to use a computer or cellphone to post on TBN!

Click the right roller wheel on the Tesla steering wheel and say, "Navigate to Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum Leeds Alabama" and everything is taken care of for you.

then all that time would need to added to EV " fill" times.
I have always said to include everything.
But that would be silly , so keep it simple and comparable by time waiting at pump or charger . Quite frankly I have zero diversion time , gas stations are on my way to anywhere.
But that is your imagination. Just think of the consternation in deciding which gas station to stop at! Don't want to buy gas at one then 2 miles down the road find another has comparable gasoline for $0.30/gallon less! Break out the cellphone and GasBuddy!

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,487  
When my power is out for three days... It would harsh my mellow to also have no way to fuel my car.
Yes, and no way to pump gasoline without electricity.

April 2011 tornadoes left me without power for 7 days. Took 3 days before any nearby gas station brought in portable generators. Not only needed electricity but data connection to process credit cards so the phone company had to put thousands of genset trailers to power the phone lines.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,488  
I believe that has something to do with State Law that requires a certain amount of parts have to be built in Michigan for any car maker to establish a dealership in the state. Interestingly there is a Tesla dealer just south of the Michigan state line on Telegraph Road (M24) about 300 yards past the line, in Ohio. Right next to a Stellantis dealer of all things.
In Alabama and most states which ban Tesla dealers the law states an automobile manufacturer may not sell vehicles direct. The law is intended to gift an exclusive right to sell new automobiles to the state's Automobile Dealers Association, who generously gives to state politicians.

Lucas County sales tax is a bit higher however.
If I take delivery of a new vehicle in Huntsville I pay 4% sales tax. But if the salesman drives the vehicle to my driveway, in Madison County, and hands me the keys then the sales tax is only 2.75%.

Same applies if I buy out of state. In most states I can take delivery w/o sales tax having signed a waiver stating I will pay sales tax in Alabama. Georgia recently added a complication to that, upset they were not getting sales tax on sales to Alabama. The Tesla dealer in Marietta so badly did not want me to come take delivery in person in 2013 that they shipped the car to my driveway 210 miles away for no charge.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,489  
Yes, and no way to pump gasoline without electricity.

April 2011 tornadoes left me without power for 7 days. Took 3 days before any nearby gas station brought in portable generators. Not only needed electricity but data connection to process credit cards so the phone company had to put thousands of genset trailers to power the phone lines

I don’t need to pump gas. I can use my storage at home. Y’all have a massive battery at home to charge the car?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,490  
Low cost home heating systems has been here for at least a decade, maybe more and no panels on your roof either. Just buy a 'Water Furnace' and have the feed lines buried below the frost line.
Well, deeper than that. You want the lines in warm soil not just "not frozen".

The term is geothermal. And for comparison purposes an SEER of 30 is readily possible. OTOH air exchange heat pumps are in the SEER 15 range now. Geothermal was much more efficient when air exchange heat pumps were typically SEER 10.

The cost of geothermal makes the payback questionable. If you are in a cold region then an air exchange heat pump won't work very well in the winter but geothermal can if you bury 700' of pipe 10' deep.