Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,491  
We priced geothermal when we built the new house 5 years ago. The payoff, even with the expired tax credit, was abysmal. The problem with owning a well insulated and efficient home, is that cost savings from these high cost alternatives, is hard to come by.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,493  
Smelling Gasoline Can Become a Dangerous Addiction | Best NJ Insurance

Wonder if this is a factor causing a few to defend the corner gas station day after day month after months year after year on an EV thread. :)

I remember it took months for me to adjust to going to the gas station after our Leaf got totaled because I could not stand the fumes. I had a cousin that wanted to get his nose by the filler opening on the gas tank when the 801 Ford was being gassed up.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,494  
I had to plug cousins Tesla in when he visited last winter when it was cold out. No issue however as I have 400 amp 3 phase service in the shop and 22o-1 outlets available so I did the 220-1 thing with his Tesla. Don't think it could handle the 440-3. Might have combusted it in my driveway....
Tesla is happy with a single phase of 208 volts off your 3-phase. But not the full 480 volts.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,495  
We priced geothermal when we built the new house 5 years ago. The payoff, even with the expired tax credit, was abysmal. The problem with owning a well insulated and efficient home, is that cost savings from these high cost alternatives, is hard to come by.
If you have natural gas then geothermal may never break even. If you have to heat with propane, oil, or electricity then in Indiana a geothermal system needs to be considered.

Pipe can be buried. It can be thrown in a pond. Or one can use one or more wells that are not used for water.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,496  
Smelling Gasoline Can Become a Dangerous Addiction | Best NJ Insurance

Wonder if this is a factor causing a few to defend the corner gas station day after day month after months year after year on an EV thread. :)

I remember it took months for me to adjust to going to the gas station after our Leaf got totaled because I could not stand the fumes. I had a cousin that wanted to get his nose by the filler opening on the gas tank when the 801 Ford was being gassed up.
Yup. That’s it. Mostly they are attached to keeping money in their pockets. 😂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,497  
Yes, and no way to pump gasoline without electricity.

April 2011 tornadoes left me without power for 7 days. Took 3 days before any nearby gas station brought in portable generators. Not only needed electricity but data connection to process credit cards so the phone company had to put thousands of genset trailers to power the phone lines.
It really depends on how you pump your gas...

1704507323676.png

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,498  
Diversion time is necessary to accurately account for the difference in time had you not stopped for fuel vs the inconvenience of stopping for fuel.

"Gas stations are on my way to anywhere" doesn't change anything. It still takes time to turn off the road, and return to the road. An EV would start every morning with a full charge (or whatever charge one designates) and would never need to be topped off during a normal day.

Yes, include diversion time for EV too. Such as the time to park at home where your EVSE umbilical is located that takes an additional 15 seconds to attach and another 15 seconds to detach.

In years past driving I-65 a stop at the Supercharger in Bowling Green, KY was necessary to get from Nashville to Louisville. Located a good bit off the interstate, a 20 minute detour. Today one can charge just north of Nashville and again in Elizabethown KY.

Oh my, just think of the extra consternation of having to use a computer or cellphone to post on TBN!

Click the right roller wheel on the Tesla steering wheel and say, "Navigate to Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum Leeds Alabama" and everything is taken care of for you.

I have always said to include everything.

But that is your imagination. Just think of the consternation in deciding which gas station to stop at! Don't want to buy gas at one then 2 miles down the road find another has comparable gasoline for $0.30/gallon less! Break out the cellphone and GasBuddy!
I knew I could count on your OCD silliness. The world revolves around Grumpy and his specific Driving habits. The rest of the World of future EV drivers will of course have the same means and social lifestyle . ( sarcasm in case you missed it ) ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,499  
If you have natural gas then geothermal may never break even. If you have to heat with propane, oil, or electricity then in Indiana a geothermal system needs to be considered.

Pipe can be buried. It can be thrown in a pond. Or one can use one or more wells that are not used for water.
I'm in IN and we put in geothermal(ground source heat pump) about 13 years ago. It works good with little maintenance and no problems so far. Lines were buried in the horse pasture. If I recall correctly it was about $6,000 then and that included everything. I'm sure it would be double or more than that now. We have no natural gas here. We've been down to -20 here and resistance heat has never kicked on.
It is a Waterfurnace, made in Ft. Wayne, IN.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,500  
We were quoted a $15k premium for geothermal… because there was no more federal credit. It just didn’t pencil out with cost savings and opportunity cost