Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,501  
Well, deeper than that. You want the lines in warm soil not just "not frozen".

The term is geothermal. And for comparison purposes an SEER of 30 is readily possible. OTOH air exchange heat pumps are in the SEER 15 range now. Geothermal was much more efficient when air exchange heat pumps were typically SEER 10.

The cost of geothermal makes the payback questionable. If you are in a cold region then an air exchange heat pump won't work very well in the winter but geothermal can if you bury 700' of pipe 10' deep.
Locally, the University of Notre Dame has installed several thousand 300' deep geothermal wells on their campus. They just installed 1000 more last year under some parking lots. Quite the project.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,502  

Some of Joe's friends are still stuck in the ICE paradyme.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,503  
Our open loop using a source and injection well heat exchanger failed after 15 years . TVA required high nickel exchanger. They were Coleman brand.
My brother for a couple more years out of his unit and on failure went with Water Furnace. The comfort is the best comfort..

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,504  
Lincoln back in the game? It’s been decades since they’ve done anything really exciting.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,505  
We priced geothermal when we built the new house 5 years ago. The payoff, even with the expired tax credit, was abysmal. The problem with owning a well insulated and efficient home, is that cost savings from these high cost alternatives, is hard to come by.
It comes down to heat load and climate, and what other fuel prices are doing at the time, as they cycle up and down. I live in a neighborhood where the smallest houses are 6k square feet and the largest are over 12k square feet, and all but mine had gone geothermal by the mid-1990's. Those who started way back in the late 1980's saw very long payoffs, but the guy across the street from me just tore out his 1980's system and totally replaced it about five years ago, with an expected ROI of only 3 years.

What happened? Cost of geo went down, while cost of fossil fuels went up. Put that against enough square footage in a climate with an average annual 5000 heating degree days and 1000 cooling degree days, and it becomes an attractive solution.

Of course it doesn't pay in smaller houses or milder climates.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,506  
My parents had an open loop and it picked up so many minerals that it had to be flushed and cleaned regularly. I've never had any problems with my closed loop.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,507  
Diversion time is necessary to accurately account for the difference in time had you not stopped for fuel vs the inconvenience of stopping for fuel.

"Gas stations are on my way to anywhere" doesn't change anything. It still takes time to turn off the road, and return to the road. An EV would start every morning with a full charge (or whatever charge one designates) and would never need to be topped off during a normal day.

Yes, include diversion time for EV too. Such as the time to park at home where your EVSE umbilical is located that takes an additional 15 seconds to attach and another 15 seconds to detach.

In years past driving I-65 a stop at the Supercharger in Bowling Green, KY was necessary to get from Nashville to Louisville. Located a good bit off the interstate, a 20 minute detour. Today one can charge just north of Nashville and again in Elizabethown KY.

Oh my, just think of the extra consternation of having to use a computer or cellphone to post on TBN!

Click the right roller wheel on the Tesla steering wheel and say, "Navigate to Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum Leeds Alabama" and everything is taken care of for you.

I have always said to include everything.

But that is your imagination. Just think of the consternation in deciding which gas station to stop at! Don't want to buy gas at one then 2 miles down the road find another has comparable gasoline for $0.30/gallon less! Break out the cellphone and GasBuddy!
All I can say is I hope everyone enjoys their EV...just don't travel far unless you enjoy detours and sitting in your "car". Thank me and other taxpayers for your tax "credits" who either don't nor ever will buy an EV and/or don't "qualify" for any "credit". (Credit is the correct word, i.e. unpaid tax). Lastly it's nice seeing our electric rates increase mainly due to "upgrades"...but wait...that's part of the federal free money infrastructure package isn't it?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,508  
how about a hard link, not just a screen capture?
Search: Jeff Flock Fox News Tesla Chicago to NYC". You can do that, right? Many articles and video clips. Several times he barely made it to a detoured charger. Wait! You'll say that's the same for gasoline!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,509  
This smile Posted on TBN on Groan thread .....
IMG_0637.jpeg.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,510  
All I can say is I hope everyone enjoys their EV...just don't travel far unless you enjoy detours and sitting in your "car". Thank me and other taxpayers for your tax "credits" who either don't nor ever will buy an EV and/or don't "qualify" for any "credit". (Credit is the correct word, i.e. unpaid tax). Lastly it's nice seeing our electric rates increase mainly due to "upgrades"...but wait...that's part of the federal free money infrastructure package isn't it?
Man, I hope you get to feeling better soon and don't let this EV thing control your mind in a negative way. Tilting with windmills is not productive in the long run unless you want to get knocked off your horse.