Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,711  
But the claim stated how there are much fewer EV charging stations than gas pumps. I say there are at least 6x more EV charging stations in the USA than gas pumps.
Wrong as usual...:
Of course, you'll disagree! :
As of 2024 there are: 129,598 publicly available EV charging ports spread over 50,401 public charging stations.

There are: 900,000 to 1.8 million gasoline pumps

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,713  
I see with the cold temps, just like last year, EV owners are having big issues charging as in no charge..
Charge at home & don't travel far!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,714  
I mean, if you are renting, or parking overnight in the street like so many do… do you just string a 100’ extension cord to the car every night across the sidewalk? I’m trying to envision what this looks like in metro areas. Out here, yeah I have 220VAC in my garage so it would be easy for me. I also don’t have an EV charger within about 30 miles of my home, so it’s really my only option. I love how the blame is always on the car owner, it’s their fault the car isn’t charging in cold temps, because they didn’t charge it fully days prior. We blame infrastructure when convenient, we blame the owner when it’s not. Nothing is ever the fault of the new technology, it’s the idiot that bought it. Defend, defend, defend. I think what grows weary is the unapologetic defense at every turn of a very imperfect technology. Are we really so indoctrinated that we cannot see the faults and shortcomings anymore? If the conversation was more balanced, I think it would be more respected… but it’s not. It’s as if the car could drive 100 miles in the winter, and people are so invested in its defense, that they refuse to see that as a shortcoming.
The idea is to make this tech mainstream. Do you know where most of the population lives? In high density housing in metro areas. Country folks have it good… we have homes, with garages and shops and power and space to spare. These poor saps are lucky to park in a street or overcrowded parking lot (which will be even more crowded when they give up space for charging stations). It’s easy for me to top off an EV nightly… but this conversation isn’t about me and how easy it is for me. It’s about my fellow citizens who don’t have the luxuries I have at my disposal. That does matter to me. I’d imagine that since smart people seem to buy EVs, because is the enlightened thing to do, they would have the sense to charge before they leave home. My guess is they didn’t, because they can’t, and the owners manual didn’t tell them to suck it when it’s cold, because it won’t charge?

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,715  
I suspect you are drastically underestimating the kw costs for apartment landlords to upgrade the services in their buildings and the years required for that expensive turnover to occur. Let alone the city upgrades to infrastructure to add 50 amps to every house/ street , and time and hardware/ resource shortages.
One thing for certain and that is, I'll never upgrade ANY of my rentals to charge toasters. They want to drive a toaster, they can pay for the infrastructure to charge it...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,717  
One thing for certain and that is, I'll never upgrade ANY of my rentals to charge toasters. They want to drive a toaster, they can pay for the infrastructure to charge it...
Wise thinking, I also suspect landlords insurance rates would increase significantly if you have chargers on property especially if underground or attached garage, and annual inspections probably , of course all on the landlord's purse.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,718  
I suspect you are drastically underestimating the kw costs for apartment landlords to upgrade the services in their buildings and the years required for that expensive turnover to occur. Let alone the city upgrades to infrastructure to add 50 amps to every house/ street , and time and hardware/ resource shortages.
Well, in US situation might be different, but at this side of pond we have 380V 3F. 16 A onboard (what most of modern cars have) it gives like 50...65 km/h of charging speed. Like 40 mi / h
That's a lot, if you stay overnight or 8 h at office.

In my office we have heat pump (air-water) 20 kw/32A and 3 charging stations, each 11 kW/16 A. Obviously lights and coffee machine takes their share, too.
Inlet is 60 A only. We try to keep it down, as there is rather big cut for grid company to pay for "booked" or "granted" A

So in case HP is on his max and all 3 cars are plugged, 200 € worth device (not to promote anything, but made by reputable producer - ABB) restrict cars "appetite", to not to tip that 60 A fuse.

In my home I do that manually. With car's timer.

What I want to say - I doesnt see any big business to balance load. Grid companies are happy to have consumption at nights, + electricity is cheaper. So everybody wins

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,719  
But the claim stated how there are much fewer EV charging stations than gas pumps. I say there are at least 6x more EV charging stations in the USA than gas pumps

Wrong as usual...:
Of course, you'll disagree! :
As of 2024 there are: 129,598 publicly available EV charging ports spread over 50,401 public charging stations.

There are: 900,000 to 1.8 million gasoline pumps
He is eluding to, I presume, that basically any electrical outlet is a “charging station”. In that case, any fuel tank, is a gas pump 😂. As long as the neighbor doesn’t see you with the siphon

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,720  
Well, in US situation might be different, but at this side of pond we have 380V 3F. 16 A onboard (what most of modern cars have) it gives like 50...65 km/h of charging speed. Like 40 mi / h
That's a lot, if you stay overnight or 8 h at office.

In my office we have heat pump (air-water) 20 kw/32A and 3 charging stations, each 11 kW/16 A. Obviously lights and coffee machine takes their share, too.
Inlet is 60 A only. We try to keep it down, as there is rather big cut for grid company to pay for "booked" or "granted" A

So in case HP is on his max and all 3 cars are plugged, 200 € worth device (not to promote anything, but made by reputable producer - ABB) restrict cars "appetite", to not to tip that 60 A fuse.

In my home I do that manually. With car's timer.

What I want to say - I doesnt see any big business to balance load. Grid companies are happy to have consumption at nights, + electricity is cheaper. So everybody wins
I do believe last year in the states, one state in particular asked people NOT to charge at night. 😳