Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,721  
Actually Helo....the only winners are the electricity companies and future electricians installing .....the losers will be the tax payers and ICE owners that did not ask or need these city upgrades , but will pay for in increased taxes and per kw costs for all other electricity needs not related to EVs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,722  
And as ICE is phased out, taxes on registrations for the EVs will continue to rise to make up for lost gas tax for road repairs. KHW costs will rise, as will taxes. At some point the cost to operate an EV will have parity with the ICE of today

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,723  
I do believe last year in the states, one state in particular asked people NOT to charge at night. 😳
Cant figure out why so. :oops:
Maybe there are a lot of solar ?

Here often during windy nights electricity cost is close to 0. Sometimes even negative. Yeah, you got it right, grid company is paying to consumers to not to melt down their transformers. 🤣
OK, peanuts. But still :love:
And not now, when heating is so much needed.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,724  
owners manual didn’t tell them to suck it when it’s cold, because it won’t charge?
Somehow, I have an issue visualizing a 100 foot extension cord across the sidewalk, charging an EV in an urban area.

1. It would have to be a rather heavy gage cord to carry enough amps to charge an EV, most extension cords, cannot..

2. If it was a heavy duty cord and being an urban area, the chance of it getting stolen would be pretty high anyway.

3. If it snows, what about the guy snowblowing the sidewalk and getting tangled up in that cord? Sounds to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Don't sound at all practical to me.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,725  
Groundbreaking solar panels are 1000x more powerful than traditional panels

This article supports 2050 as the magic date for solar. Just imagine if they are able to get the efficiency up just 100x if all the present installations upgraded to the new materials, if it does prove to be technically and financially affordable.

With the event of robo taxies, home charging will be replaced for the most part for the most people, especially the ones living in apartments.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,726  
Somehow, I have an issue visualizing a 100 foot extension cord across the sidewalk, charging an EV in an urban area.

1. It would have to be a rather heavy gage cord to carry enough amps to charge an EV, most extension cords, cannot..

2. If it was a heavy duty cord and being an urban area, the chance of it getting stolen would be pretty high anyway.

3. If it snows, what about the guy snowblowing the sidewalk and getting tangled up in that cord? Sounds to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

All is true if you're thinking about today, but if you're thinking about 2050, I think you're not even in the ballpark.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,727  

Exactly. To get a private property with an ability to charge, you nearly have to drop $500k in this country. So mainstreaming means having charging stations available. Farmers have always had bulk fuel tanks, yet we didn’t expect EVERYONE to fuel at home, because they didn’t have that luxury. So we send them to fueling stations. Issue being EV stations are few and far and charging isn’t a 5-10 minute affair. That station is occupied for an hour+

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,728  

From the article:
"It’s not plug and go. You have to precondition the battery, meaning that you have to get the battery up to the optimal temperature to accept a fast charge," said Mark Bilek of the Chicago Auto Trade Association.

The Tesla will also do this while traveling to a supercharger. Another sensational hit piece on EV's and Tesla.
Also how many of these people are renters that can't charge at home?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,730  
Wise thinking, I also suspect landlords insurance rates would increase significantly if you have chargers on property especially if underground or attached garage, and annual inspections probably , of course all on the landlord's purse.
Not on mine, ever. They want to go green or whatever it's called, they can pay 100 % of the cost.

I call it going stupid myself.

Kid of like having dish network. One of my past tenants insisted on having 'dish' installed, so I let them and the 'dish' is still on the edge of the roof, 10 years later, unused. Should have insisted they take it with them, I didn't and now I'm stuck with it. Lesson learned. Someday I'll take it down and put it out with the garbage on the edge of the roadside and maybe someone will take it home. Same applies to an EV though I don't see any of my renters going down that road anyway. They are a bit smarter than that to begin with, least I think they are.