Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,761  
Gas Station Model is a fallacy for EV.

Yes, apartment dwellers. Just as they pay for a parking space. Just as they pay for internet. Just as they pay for running water and sewer. Just as they pay for washer and dryer hookups. Just as they pay for electricity. None of those things were common in 1900.

The kerfuffle in Chicago is of misguided consumers who believed they could depend on an EV Gas Station, and practiced ICE bad habits of waiting until 1/4 tank or less to bother "filling".
Ah the smugness of our " know it all" Tesla Church goer !

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,762  
Gas Station Model is a fallacy for EV.

Yes, apartment dwellers. Just as they pay for a parking space. Just as they pay for internet. Just as they pay for running water and sewer. Just as they pay for washer and dryer hookups. Just as they pay for electricity. None of those things were common in 1900.

The kerfuffle in Chicago is of misguided consumers who believed they could depend on an EV Gas Station, and practiced ICE bad habits of waiting until 1/4 tank or less to bother "filling".
Many of the charging stations I've installed at schools have had the same problem, with drivers waiting to long to recharge instead of topping off the charge. There definately is a learning curve.

If the driver is teachable it resolves itself quickly.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,763  
Actually Helo....the only winners are the electricity companies and future electricians installing .....the losers will be the tax payers and ICE owners that did not ask or need these city upgrades , but will pay for in increased taxes and per kw costs for all other electricity needs not related to EVs.
All the EV charging stations I have installed were paid for by tax dollars. Lost count after 40 installs, mainly on public projects.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,764  
Wrong as usual...:
Of course, you'll disagree! :
As of 2024 there are: 129,598 publicly available EV charging ports spread over 50,401 public charging stations.

There are: 900,000 to 1.8 million gasoline pumps
Twisting as usual.

The claim was "charging stations" not "public charging stations." You are welcome to count private gas pumps such as one might have at the farm.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,766  
I mean, if you are renting, or parking overnight in the street like so many do… do you just string a 100’ extension cord to the car every night across the sidewalk? I’m trying to envision what this looks like in metro areas.
People in metro areas don't keep horses. But for Norco, CA, where they have facilities.

So if they don't have the facilities to charge an EV then they should not be driving an EV.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,767  
One thing for certain and that is, I'll never upgrade ANY of my rentals to charge toasters. They want to drive a toaster, they can pay for the infrastructure to charge it...
If you upgrade your rental then of course your renters will be paying for the upgrade. Or possibly one day you will have to upgrade just to rent the place.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,768  
First new car 1973 Nissan B-110 $2.15K.

Second new car 2023 Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Long Range $47.5K.

Both hard to tell apart except for inflation.😃

Friday the Tesla will hit 22K miles on its first birthday. At that rate I could hit the million mile mark by my 110th Birthday Bash.

Driving the safest and the best-selling car in the world is a downer, but I'll learn to live with it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,769  
Actually Helo....the only winners are the electricity companies and future electricians installing .....the losers will be the tax payers and ICE owners that did not ask or need these city upgrades , but will pay for in increased taxes and per kw costs for all other electricity needs not related to EVs.
Electric power generated and sold at night is easy money for the utility. Rather than increasing rates "due to the evil EV demand" this serves to lower rates for all.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,770  
And as ICE is phased out, taxes on registrations for the EVs will continue to rise to make up for lost gas tax for road repairs. KHW costs will rise, as will taxes. At some point the cost to operate an EV will have parity with the ICE of today
Looking forward to it!

Alabama gas tax is $0.285/gallon.

Alabama EV "fee" is $200/year.

$200 at $0.285 is 700 gallons of gasoline.

700 gallons at 25 MPG is 17,500 miles, or 21,000 miles at 30 MPG.

I have been driving less than 7,000 miles/year in my EV the past several years.

Looking forward to EV/ICE tax parity.