Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,871  
You know all the answers, so "How many millions of homes have service of 100A or less?"

Who here has 100A or less service?

NEC for many decades has specified 100A as the minimum.

All reasonable guides specify 200A service if one has an electric range, hot water heater, electric heat, or HVAC. Costs little to nothing extra at time of new install.

Building my new home I asked the utility engineer, "How much extra for 400A service vs 200A?" Nothing. Same price. Said they wire everything the same. No extra monthly charge either.

Only cost to me is the distribution panel(s) inside the house. Said he recommended breaking it into two 200A zones with 200A disconnects either side of the 400A meter they would install.

Another utility engineer (manager) I often eat lunch with told me the only 125A service he has seen the past few decades have been in apartments.
I have 200A service but lots of family members do not.
Here's your answer per Rewiring America:
"Today, approximately 50-60 million single-family homes (or approximately 60-70 percent) have electrical panels with ratings less than 200 amps".

CleanTechnica:
"Roughly 40 million homes in America have 100 amp electrical service."
So 40M homes have 100 amp service or less.
The cost to go from 100A or less to 200A would be tremendous overall. At my homeplace (Mother's home) MAY require 1/4 mile line to pole near home, most likely a larger transformer, underground line at least 2-2-2-4 there to 200A panel, then 500ft underground to garage (garage built 1942 only has 120v 20A service now). I'd hate to guess total cost...many $thousands.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,872  
Only EV Haters pretend anyone believes EVs get free energy.

Most people can not calculate MPG. If they don't see a number on the instrument panel they have no idea and go through life pretending they get the EPA numbers on the window sticker.

Seriously. Don't know how to collect the data to calculate. And with the data they don't know the formula for "miles per gallon". They also don't know the phone number for 911.
Wow! Just wow!!!
I also cringe when I hear someone say "MPG equivalent". They're not factoring in all costs.
("Most people can't calculate mpg?").
WOW!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,873  
This cold deal has shown what to expect for range loss ( a 30-45% loss for me when well below zero* F) that LFP batteries suffer more than NMC and that some of Tesla's older charging station units need some repair, replacement, or updates when it gets this cold.
V2 and V3 seemed to be affected equally. Also Chicago as a greater number of 72 kW Superchargers than we normally see.

Strange how it was only Chicago, and southwest Chicago, which was affected. As if vandals were involved.

The problem seems to have been ice in the NACS connectors. How does that happen? Especially as heavily used as these Superchargers seem to be.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,874  
Wow! Just wow!!!
I also cringe when I hear someone say "MPG equivalent". They're not factoring in all costs.
("Most people can't calculate mpg?").
WOW!
See! You learned something today!

Ask next time you buy gasoline if the person on the pump next to you knows how to calculate MPG. Ask your friends.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,875  
V2 and V3 seemed to be affected equally. Also Chicago as a greater number of 72 kW Superchargers than we normally see.

Strange how it was only Chicago, and southwest Chicago, which was affected. As if vandals were involved.

The problem seems to have been ice in the NACS connectors. How does that happen? Especially as heavily used as these Superchargers seem to be.
That's it: vandals were involved.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,876  
I ran a business for many years before retiring 10 years ago.
Curious what business you are in and why encourage people to use EV? Is that related to your business?
I am selling and servicing [advanced] industrial machinery. Like CNC, edgebanders, saws. Mainly for wood but not only

I am not related to EV business directly. I am just evangelist 😁

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,877  
True that…but not so many have gone over 10 years or 150k miles.

BTW, what doctors drive is so irrelevant to be comical. Their “drivers” wrt car purchases are a bit different than those normal folks think about.
Yep... often called trendsetters or a glimpse into the future?

Tesla employee lot is well represented by Tesla just as the very same plant back in the Toyota days had employee preferred parking for employee owned Toyotas

I call the Doctor parking lot my new car showroom... ;-)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,878  
You know all the answers, so "How many millions of homes have service of 100A or less?"

Who here has 100A or less service?

NEC for many decades has specified 100A as the minimum.

All reasonable guides specify 200A service if one has an electric range, hot water heater, electric heat, or HVAC. Costs little to nothing extra at time of new install.

Building my new home I asked the utility engineer, "How much extra for 400A service vs 200A?" Nothing. Same price. Said they wire everything the same. No extra monthly charge either.

Only cost to me is the distribution panel(s) inside the house. Said he recommended breaking it into two 200A zones with 200A disconnects either side of the 400A meter they would install.

Another utility engineer (manager) I often eat lunch with told me the only 125A service he has seen the past few decades have been in apartments.
Good question... the building boom in my city of 459,000 happened in the 1920's.

Of the 17 single family homes I managed all were either original 120v 30 amp or had been upgraded to 240v 60 amp.

City now sets 100 amp 240v is minimum for single family.

The cost of a surface mount 100 amp meter box, the conductors from the weather head to the box, the circuit breakers and ground rod isn't going to break the bank but add permits and required upgrades and city licensed electrician and it's easy several thousand dollars.

I had a 4-plex to upgrade and the project was 14 months on hold because the utility did not have capacity at this location...

Lots of homes... even million dollar homes here would need a service upgrade to add a heat pump...

Of course all bets are off if natural gas is truly phased out... block after block of 100 year old infrastructure will require updating to be all electric.

Add the move to underground utilities and the shortage of underground vault imported transformers and the cost and timeline greatly increases.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,879  
300 Wh/mile and about 10¢/kWh here. Gasoline is back up to $2.819. So 94 MPG$ equivalent.
Is that with an outside temp at 0F or 70F?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,880  
Good question... the building boom in my city of 459,000 happened in the 1920's.

Of the 17 single family homes I managed all were either original 120v 30 amp or had been upgraded to 240v 60 amp.

City now sets 100 amp 240v is minimum for single family.

The cost of a surface mount 100 amp meter box, the conductors from the weather head to the box, the circuit breakers and ground rod isn't going to break the bank but add permits and required upgrades and city licensed electrician and it's easy several thousand dollars.

I had a 4-plex to upgrade and the project was 14 months on hold because the utility did not have capacity at this location...

Lots of homes... even million dollar homes here would need a service upgrade to add a heat pump...

Of course all bets are off if natural gas is truly phased out... block after block of 100 year old infrastructure will require updating to be all electric.

Add the move to underground utilities and the shortage of underground vault imported transformers and the cost and timeline greatly increases.
Excellent points, but be careful Grumpy can't handle when facts dispute his opinions. Heck he might even tell you vandals reduced the service amperage in your area homes . ;)