Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,881  
I've been reading more about the Chicago EV charging dilemma and have come to the conclusion that most people are ill prepared in general for any kind of change. This change was weather. It seems they are expecting their shiny new EVs to act just like an ICE vehicle only better. Surprise people, they aren't the same! EVs take planning and strategy to operate. Those drivers should have had their cars charged to 90% the night before. They should have stayed up late at charging stations and made sure they were ready for the next morning.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,883  
I've been reading more about the Chicago EV charging dilemma and have come to the conclusion that most people are ill prepared in general for any kind of change. This change was weather. It seems they are expecting their shiny new EVs to act just like an ICE vehicle only better. Surprise people, they aren't the same! EVs take planning and strategy to operate. Those drivers should have had their cars charged to 90% the night before. They should have stayed up late at charging stations and made sure they were ready for the next morning.
Yes, but as stated, most drivers can’t calculate MPG… do you think they can be that strategic? And this is the problem with EVs, you don’t just drive them, it’s another thing you really have to manage and plan for. My wife is at work with 2 gallons of gas in her CRV. Whether it’s 70F or 0F, she will have 60 miles range. It can sit in 0F weather for a week or three, and still have 60 miles range. She can drive 3 miles and fill it if need be. There are more absolutes with ICE. And if we claim people cannot do a simple calculation to determine MPG… we are fooling ourselves to think they can do this complex planning.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,885  
Yes, but as stated, most drivers can’t calculate MPG… do you think they can be that strategic? And this is the problem with EVs, you don’t just drive them, it’s another thing you really have to manage and plan for. My wife is at work with 2 gallons of gas in her CRV. Whether it’s 70F or 0F, she will have 60 miles range. It can sit in 0F weather for a week or three, and still have 60 miles range. She can drive 3 miles and fill it if need be. There are more absolutes with ICE. And if we claim people cannot do a simple calculation to determine MPG… we are fooling ourselves to think they can do this complex planning.
My mileage drops in this subzero weather but probably only 5%, not 40%. I attribute that to warming the car up, lower tire pressure, and winter blend gasoline. I don't let my tank get down to 2 gallons either in subzero temperatures. I sometimes add a can of Heat when I fill up also.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,886  
One issue have not heard much about is copper thieves… heck, I have even had garden hose and lawn sprinkler thieves in the past.

All of those power cords in public areas might be too tempting?

Same happened as pay phones disappeared years ago from high crime areas…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,887  
In 2050 all these issues will be resolved. So no need to argue. In 2050 all of your concerns will be addressed. Rest assured.
I'll be 100 years old in 2050 so I don't think it will be a concern of mine unless I'm still driving. :cool:
One thing for sure, I won't be driving an EV unless it was given to me. By then, an EV will most likely cost about $300,000 for the budget line.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,889  
I have 200A service but lots of family members do not.
Here's your answer per Rewiring America:
"Today, approximately 50-60 million single-family homes (or approximately 60-70 percent) have electrical panels with ratings less than 200 amps".

CleanTechnica:
"Roughly 40 million homes in America have 100 amp electrical service."
So 40M homes have 100 amp service or less.
The cost to go from 100A or less to 200A would be tremendous overall. At my homeplace (Mother's home) MAY require 1/4 mile line to pole near home, most likely a larger transformer, underground line at least 2-2-2-4 there to 200A panel, then 500ft underground to garage (garage built 1942 only has 120v 20A service now). I'd hate to guess total cost...many $thousands.
I am just wondering, why don't you increase V rather than I ?
To me insulation is cheaper than cooper conductor, at least what I have heard, nobody is stealing cables for plastic 😁

We have 3F-380V and that's very convenient. With only 25A inlet it can run both car's charging and heat pump

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,890  
Certainly nothing wrong with opposing views, right? For us it's impractical.
Last night I ordered a new coffee maker after wife & I discussed it. I was so close to ordering a Bunn since they're probably the best. Instead Mr. Coffee is what I ordered and saved $100 also. Saving money was irrelevant, but the Mr. Coffee serves our needs just fine.
Sorry bro, had so bad urge to post this meme here

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

kof.jpeg