Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,901  
What I find interesting is that the MSM is being less than flattering about EV's lately. For a group that normally touts the "party line", they seem to be realizing a few bits of reality.
"Blood sells papers". MSM likes to make the news rather than report it. "Party line" is an easy story to write for lazy workers. They are finding anything they can dish on EVs is an easy, popular story.

Stories about the Big Three scaling back EV plans are laced with more reality.
Traditional automakers are making mediocre EVs which do not sell. Scale back production, catches attention of the MSM. Story agrees with The Narrative so it is easy and will get clicks.

Loss of government funding/subsidies and gas at $2.50/gal will create a double whammy.
Tesla did well at $1.80/gallon and no Federal tax credits. If you have a quality product then you do not need a hard sell.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,902  
Is that with an outside temp at 0F or 70F?
My latest datapoint is at 20°F. Did better than most because it warmed 3 minutes prior on shore power:

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 9.38.56 AM.png

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,903  
Americans are too stupid to deal with that kind of voltage. We still have 2-prong plugs everywhere.

"In the United States, there are approximately 1000 deaths per year, as a result of electrical injuries. Of these, approximately 400 are due to high-voltage electrical injuries, and lightning causes 50 to 300. There are also at least 30,000 shock incidents per year that are non-fatal."
* From the National Institute of Health.

Imagine adding 30,000 deaths to that by going to higher voltages.
:oops:
There is so simple protection on current leaks. In Scandinavia they are mandatory for long while already, here - optional.
There are a lot options of them, just first one, like I have: https://www.elektrika.lv/att/documents/0/424/558.pdf
It costs like 25 €, practically the same as short circuit breaker, so I put them instead "standard" SCB
Basically, if it detects leak bigger than 0.03 mA, it has to disconnect mains in split second.
In my house I dont have it in mains, but on each room / unit separate. I don't like to have house black just because someone forgot extension cord outside and it started to rain ;)
V2 Superchargers (the 150 kW) run 400 VDC 300A.

I don't know what the V3 Supercharger (250 kW) does.
Tesla is 400 V.

But I meant residential lines

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,904  
My latest datapoint is at 20°F. Did better than most because it warmed 3 minutes prior on shore power:

View attachment 847338
Another Teslafi user ;)

My lowest is -25 C / -11 F

See how I burned electrons on Poland's highway. 😁
Efficiency is rather low, but check speed :cool:

fi.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,905  

About 22 years ago we leased an old office building and discovered it had a 1986 Best 48 volt based Uninterrupted Power Supply that was no longer used due to baked batteries. After frying a couple banksni made of 12 volt trollingLit motor batteries I found Battery University out of necessity.

As you can read Lithium Ion batteries work best above freezing and below 87F. Nissan never made a net profit per sources because they replaced so many battery packs due high temperature regions. I was lucky to find our 22K mile 2016 Leaf that triggered the warranty for a new battery pack 5 weeks after we bought it in 2019.

Because of the failing battery I got them down $5,000 on the price and only paid $13,500. The new larger battery bumped the range up to 150 mi. So I had a 2016 which we still have with a 2020 larger battery in it.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,906  
"Blood sells papers". MSM likes to make the news rather than report it. "Party line" is an easy story to write for lazy workers. They are finding anything they can dish on EVs is an easy, popular story.

Traditional automakers are making mediocre EVs which do not sell. Scale back production, catches attention of the MSM. Story agrees with The Narrative so it is easy and will get clicks.

Tesla did well at $1.80/gallon and no Federal tax credits. If you have a quality product then you do not need a hard sell.
Ahhh....shoot the messenger when it doesn't agree with your own narrative ! Yep !

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,907  
I am just wondering, why don't you increase V rather than I ?
To me insulation is cheaper than cooper conductor, at least what I have heard, nobody is stealing cables for plastic

We have 3F-380V and that's very convenient. With only 25A inlet it can run both car's charging and heat pump
Here a voltage increase isn't easy at all. 240V is standard residential voltage, then split at panel box for 120V each leg.
We have 277V / 480V three phase industrial which would be VERY costly for residential.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,908  
See! You learned something today!

Ask next time you buy gasoline if the person on the pump next to you knows how to calculate MPG. Ask your friends.
I did that already...60 years ago in grade school. Where were you grump?
(Vandals stole his pencil).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,909  
:oops:
There is so simple protection on current leaks. In Scandinavia they are mandatory for long while already, here - optional.
There are a lot options of them, just first one, like I have: https://www.elektrika.lv/att/documents/0/424/558.pdf
It costs like 25 €, practically the same as short circuit breaker, so I put them instead "standard" SCB
Basically, if it detects leak bigger than 0.03 mA, it has to disconnect mains in split second.
In my house I dont have it in mains, but on each room / unit separate. I don't like to have house black just because someone forgot extension cord outside and it started to rain ;)

Tesla is 400 V.

But I meant residential lines

The Tesla wall connectors actually run the supply power wiring by a thermo sensor inside the enclosure and also calculate all other parameters.
If the conductors temp rises to high the unit will reduce or even stop current flow.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,910  
Good points.....now add a few hundred thousand diy types that poorly install their EV chargers over the next ten years and get zapped with 30amps from their homemade elec dryer "extension cord" concoction . That might be a few more thousand deaths.
I have concluded that interfering with Darwin's Theory of Evolution is not conducive if we want to continue to evolve.

If we try to fix stupid, we will devolve into a bunch of *******.