Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,941  
About 22 years ago we leased an old office building and discovered it had a 1986 Best 48 volt based Uninterrupted Power Supply that was no longer used due to baked batteries. After frying a couple banksni made of 12 volt trollingLit motor batteries I found Battery University out of necessity.
Best Power UPSs were autotransformer based. Terribly inefficient but the output was unquestionably clean.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,942  
Ahhh....shoot the messenger when it doesn't agree with your own narrative ! Yep !
Not shooting any messenger. Just pointing out their biases and loyalties.

Traditional automakers thought it would be easy to take government "investments" to make EVs. They "managed" the the development to fit their mindset rather than find inspired designers. Today they are paying the price for a Job Done Poorly.

Still no answer as to why only downtown Chicago Superchargers had problems. What could possibly be common among those?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,943  
For my midnight coffee run last night...
I know that almost every part of your post was more important than this, but reading about a 70+ year old poster making midnight coffee runs did put a smile on my face. Hope it was decaf? :D

It's cool that you can program the car to limit charge current. I wasn't aware they had that feature as a programmable option, rather than just select by plug, but it makes sense.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,944  
Here a voltage increase isn't easy at all. 240V is standard residential voltage, then split at panel box for 120V each leg.
We have 277V / 480V three phase industrial which would be VERY costly for residential.
Furthermore 3-phase is not run everywhere. 3-phase is used to feed 1-phase branches to residences and small businesses where the overhead lines run thousands of volts.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,945  
I did that already...60 years ago in grade school. Where were you grump?
(Vandals stole his pencil).
I don't doubt 70 year olds can calculate MPG.

I said ask the person at the pump next to you.

They don't even understand Miles Per Gallon is Miles divided by Gallons. Hence, they don't even know what number to dial for 911. Sorry that joke went over your head.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,946  
It's cool that you can program the car to limit charge current. I wasn't aware they had that feature as a programmable option, rather than just select by plug, but it makes sense.
Not only that but it is geofenced.

If you have set the limit to 30A on L2 at home, anywhere else will revert to whatever the EVSE says it can have or whatever the vehicle can take, whichever is the lesser. But again if you set it there it will remember independent your home setting.

Have no idea how many locations it will remember.

Can not set charge current limits at Superchargers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,947  
I get as tired of the argument about which takes longer to fuel as I do about the electric vs gas. You drive what you want, and let me drive what I want. However, today I pulled off the highway, fueled, and got back onto the road while the same song played on the radio.

You will never make that claim with an EV.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,948  
I get as tired of the argument about which takes longer to fuel as I do about the electric vs gas. You drive what you want, and let me drive what I want. However, today I pulled off the highway, fueled, and got back onto the road while the same song played on the radio.
Is the EV Haters who keep bringing up the claim of impossibly fast pit stops.

Average song on radio is 3 minutes. 10x the average listener's attention span.

The full length "American Pie" was 8:42.

Edit: Knew I was forgetting something: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,949  
Not shooting any messenger. Just pointing out their biases and loyalties.

Traditional automakers thought it would be easy to take government "investments" to make EVs. They "managed" the the development to fit their mindset rather than find inspired designers. Today they are paying the price for a Job Done Poorly.

Still no answer as to why only downtown Chicago Superchargers had problems. What could possibly be common among those?
Ahhh the conspiracy theory continues , all the many very old established car companies around the world messed up on purpose , and Chicago's damp cold windy weather is too obvious ....so it was vandals.......hilarious ! Maybe it was ICE Union boys from Chicago's Little Italy ! ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,950  
An "Out of spec" update on the EV Charging mess in Chicago.

Several charger problems including Tesla Superchargers
Ride share drivers not understanding the best practices
Single motor- 1/2 the battery pre heat of a dual motor Tesla
LFP - much slower charging in the cold

etc. etc.
This Will be a Good learning experience for All segements of BEV and Chargers. There are improvements needed obviously.

Last edited: