Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#14,331  

In this hour-long presentation, Tony Seba spells out the early stages of the death spiral of ICE vehicles.

The move to EVs will be driven by cost minded car buyers.

All I needed to see was Boulder, CO on the screen to know it’s a bunch of liberal gobbledygook. I lived there for 8 years….I know better than most.

Comparing the revolution of smartphones to EVs is ridiculous. Smartphones were better than the existing phones in every way. EVs are better than ICE vehicles…in none of the ways the common person cares. They arent cheaper, they dont have better range, and they are harder to refuel. I should qualify this by saying current technology EVs with Li based batteries.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,332  
Has Elon Musk totalledly failed in his advertising campaigns to get you to realize service is not the issue like with your Ford in most cases. When Ford reduces their number of dealerships by 75% you're still going to have to be doing some driving.. I don't think you're computing the landscape after the ICE vehicle death spiral is factored in. You thinking that we need to buy our EVS from China boggles by mine still.
OMG Gale, Do you really believe the number of ICE dealers will drop by 75% in our lifetime? But even if they did, I have a dozen independent repair shops within 25 miles...and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Telling me that "service is not the issue" when it comes from the CEO of a company that cannot provide service lacks credibility.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,333  
How does going pro China and anti USA now help USA kids in 2050?
Elon Musk might look like a " made in USA " success story for auto plants, BUT ......his robot and AI business will extremely reduce the number of workers he needs in his plants, and since he will be the tech leader for robots / robotics , his plants won't need many of our grand children as employees. ......and the reality is the battery resources will not come in big numbers from North America. Whereas the big 3 ICE will, for awhile longer, use real employees and many NA resources....so Gale your hope for the demise of ICE will be at the cost of Grandkids jobs. Tesla and Elon will not be a saviour of North American jobs, probably the reverse will be true.....but you and I will be 6ft under sooner than that so your enabling impact of EVs at cost of ICE plants will be unknown.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,334  
At some point all labor will be done robots/ai. *I think.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,335  
Has Elon Musk totalledly failed in his advertising campaigns to get you to realize service is not the issue like with your Ford in most cases. When Ford reduces their number of dealerships by 75% you're still going to have to be doing some driving.. I don't think you're computing the landscape after the ICE vehicle death spiral is factored in. You thinking that we need to buy our EVS from China boggles by mine still.

Gale I think it is only a problem , 'when it Is a problem.'

So far it sounds like the 3 of us have got "good" MY cars,
I have read of several new Tesla buyers that had panel alignment or paint issues and decided to have Tesla service centers "Fix" it to end up far more upset and under impressed than had they just left the defects alone. That is not confidence inspiring. I am hoping to never have an issue that requires a Service Center visit.
Like you I see the China EV's as a threat to remaining US factories and workers. I for one Hope we do not drop the Tariffs, oddly something both recent presidents agree on.

Keep in mind the China news media refers to EVS as new energy vehicles. So when you hear the word new energy vehicles, they're talking about EVS mostly but in some cases hybrids.

The fear of EV takeover by China I expect is very much overblown just like that EVS are going to be mandated to the masses in the USA. I don't know about other countries.

EVs being less costly to build and operate are the main reasons they will become so popular in time by 2050 at the latest.

I have been following China for about 10 years but more the last 5 years and more specifically the last 2 years.

If you decide to watch this program I think you'll realize that our Enron case and others like that is child's Play compared to the corruption all the way to the top in China. All Ponzi schemes crack at some point. Mixing business, religion and politics is bad as it can get in my experience.

I did watch the whole thing, what a twisted web.
Welcome to a snake pit.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,336  
Elon Musk might look like a " made in USA " success story for auto plants, BUT ......his robot and AI business will extremely reduce the number of workers he needs in his plants, and since he will be the tech leader for robots / robotics , his plants won't need many of our grand children as employees. ......and the reality is the battery resources will not come in big numbers from North America. Whereas the big 3 ICE will, for awhile longer, use real employees and many NA resources....so Gale your hope for the demise of ICE will be at the cost of Grandkids jobs. Tesla and Elon will not be a saviour of North American jobs, probably the reverse will be true.....but you and I will be 6ft under sooner than that so your enabling impact of EVs at cost of ICE plants will be unknown.
Jake thanks for acknowledging that many are financially aware and will buy EVs when they are dollar and sense the better the option as time Marches forward.

Sorry about your longevity concerns. Things was not looking good for me back in 2014 and that's when I decided to make some changes. I have invited some younger people to my 110th birthday bash in 2061.

I do hope that I might have grandchildren that will follow their father if they so wish. He's working as a mechanical engineer and working with designing hydraulic robotic equipment in the farm equipment and meat processing industries in the Midwest. The Tesla Bots are going to require grandkids with engineering and GAI development skills.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,337  
@sd455dan China may be a house of cards with a storm coming, but again they may be just fine. The only EV company in China that seems to be making some profit is BYD and many of the others are not likely to see the light of day long-term.. The wid card is they are backed and supported by the government so we'll see. As more of our EV makers, follow Elon's path. Hopefully they will catch traction and get cash flow positive by 2030.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,338  
@shooterdon What company do you know that cannot provide service.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,339  

In this hour-long presentation, Tony Seba spells out the early stages of the death spiral of ICE vehicles.

The move to EVs will be driven by cost minded car buyers.
I am not opposed to EVs, I think they have a place in the automobile market for those that want one. If it works for you, that is great. But one person out in left field promotes a theory and catchy phrase, which helps him sell his books, and you start preaching it as gospel. He also is proposing you don't own a car but subscribe to TaaS, Transportation as a Service, using self-driving vehicles. We see how that is working out. And over 3,000 automobile dealers, who deal with the real world and not theory, send a letter to the President detailing that consumers don't want EVs and they are stacking up on their lots, and you seem to ignore that reality.

Consumers are starting to see the reality of EVs, they are not everything we were told they were going to be. So, in response government entities are forcing the product on consumers by mandates. That should make EVs even more popular.

More than 3,000 auto dealers sign letter opposing *****'s electric vehicle mandate

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,340  
Jake thanks for acknowledging that many are financially aware and will buy EVs when they are dollar and sense the better the option as time Marches forward.

Sorry about your longevity concerns. Things was not looking good for me back in 2014 and that's when I decided to make some changes. I have invited some younger people to my 110th birthday bash in 2061.

I do hope that I might have grandchildren that will follow their father if they so wish. He's working as a mechanical engineer and working with designing hydraulic robotic equipment in the farm equipment and meat processing industries in the Midwest. The Tesla Bots are going to require grandkids with engineering and GAI development skills.
Well your first paragraph , is completely wrong interpretation of what I said. The second paragraph I am 100 percent positive that Birthday party will be absent the guest of honour. Your third paragraph assumes Tesla needs 10,000 or more fulltime USA engineering jobs and not also contracted to lowest world bidders......and His AI tech will save him employee needs drastically if he isn't exaggerating about his vision .

Last edited: