Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,581  
So how much in not "south east cheap electricity states" ? California ? New York ? It seems almost double your quote...hmm.....and give up on your silly pontificating about " gas station model" .....it may not be what the rich, own a garage, early adopters need , ( and Tesla admits too much Supercharging will damage their batteries, so don't want gas station model habits ! ) but any next wave of customers will need the gas station model , and so will commercial trucking. So get used to that need vision because the real world users would need it .
Gas Station Model has failed for EVs everywhere it has been tried.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,582  
Good points Clover, and if Tesla owners were honest their deviation to the suggested trip charger could be quite a deviation. But us ICE owners will let them slide on that point to be generous. ;)
I have always included the detour to Supercharger (when there is a detour). Search if you wish for "Bowling Green" (as in Kentucky).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,583  
You clearly drove a Tesla with your eyes shut repeating over and over again, “I hate it.”

You could do the math if you wanted but you’d rather gripe.

280 Wh/mile for a Model Y.
$0.36/kWh is a price sometimes cited for Superchargers.

I realize math causes migraines so
0.280 x 0.36 x 200 = $20.16

$20.16 / $3/gallon * 30 MPG = 201.6 miles.

The cost to drive via Supercharger is essentially the same as 30 MPG at $3/gallon. This is why Supercharger As Gas Station is a bad idea in general. But it allows long distance travel without the need for a second vehicle or a rental.
Some non EV owners forget that home charging is usually 1/3 of the cost to charge at a supercharger. 80% of my charging is done at home. Gas would have to get to about $1.30/ gal for a 30 mpg car for me to break even.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,584  
So how much in not "south east cheap electricity states" ? California ? New York ? It seems almost double your quote...hmm.....
So you are saying the graduate level math is beyond your ability?

High School graduate math.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,585  
Gas Station Model has failed for EVs everywhere it has been tried.
And that is one reason why EVs will fail ( or stall dramatically ) by providing a product that does not meet majority of customers needs . ( focusing on early adopters only is risky)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,586  
So you are saying the graduate level math is beyond your ability?

High School graduate math.
No it means your biased low ball inputs causes low ball skewed results.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,587  
Every now and then I wonder why certain people are on my ignore list and then make the mistake of reading one of their posts which validated my ignore list.

If you don't like EV's why are you commenting? How much more of your ignorance do I need to dispel or do you like to wallow in your stupidity?

You do realize that there are EV owners that are also ICE owners? I have a 2014 6.7L F250 that I use as needed.

Now back on my ignore list and your ignorance.
Maybe Like you I am paid influencer by a manufacturer ( in my case Kubota ) to use my tractor to remove the manure from the TBN barn and bring in fresh hay. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,588  
And that is one reason why EVs will fail ( or stall dramatically ) by providing a product that does not meet majority of customers needs . ( focusing on early adopters only is risky)
Yes, that is why cars cats are so unpopular. They don’t behave like dogs.

And tractors will never catch on, because they can’t replace pickup trucks.

Is not the “customer’s needs” but the customer’s habits.

Is said had IBM invented the automobile the controls would have been horse-compatible. After all nobody knows how to drive an automobile but most knew how to hold the reigns to direct a horse.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,589  
No it means your biased low ball inputs causes low ball skewed results.
I thought 30 MPG was being generous.

And if you have better data then why not cite it rather than be argumentative? One answer which fits: you don’t want to believe what you are being shown.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#14,590  
Model 3 interior volume: 97 cu feet
Corolla interior volume: 89 cu feet

Model Y interior volume is not listed for some reason, but is significantly larger than the 3 which is larger than the Corolla.

You are right...but I didnt have to look far to find a better example... still 1100 lbs of battery weight. That is right at 33% of the vehilcle weight (of the ICE vehicle).

Camry has just over 100 cu ft of interior volume. 3300 lbs.

Last edited: