Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#14,591  
Gas Station Model has failed for EVs everywhere it has been tried.

So what do you propose for the 20% of US renters that dont have a dedicated charging station at home beacuse they live in an apt? Those numbers being higher in cities where we really need EV usage the most.

#14,592  
Some non EV owners forget that home charging is usually 1/3 of the cost to charge at a supercharger. 80% of my charging is done at home. Gas would have to get to about $1.30/ gal for a 30 mpg car for me to break even.

I certainly havent forgotten it, we see the rare EV that burns down someone's house on the news.

That said, we need EVs the most in densly populated areas. In NY 25% of people live in apartments...nowhere to charge.

We already see lines at Tesla charging stations with only a paultry 1.2 % registered EVs at the end of 2022. Can you imagine what it would be like if 20% of vehicles were EV? The infrastructure must be there. 25% of New Yorkers is millions of people every day that need to charge their vehicles.

Fuel TypeRegistrations in 2022Share of Total
Gasoline275,728,30098.0%
EV and PHEV3,454,7001.2%
Alternative Fuels2,573,2000.9%

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,593  
Yes, that is why cars cats are so unpopular. They don’t behave like dogs.

And tractors will never catch on, because they can’t replace pickup trucks.

Is not the “customer’s needs” but the customer’s habits.

Is said had IBM invented the automobile the controls would have been horse-compatible. After all nobody knows how to drive an automobile but most knew how to hold the reigns to direct a horse.
Oh so ya mean bad habits like long distance driving to loved ones in less than a day, or trucking goods thru multiple states or provinces......darn bad habits, need to have families move closer or get new ones I guess, and let's put the majority of today's freight movements onto those quick trains and or expensive airplanes, and those darn apartment dwellers will have to stick to bicycles,.....yep that will do it, the upper class early adopters have their vision. Thanks for your empathy for the rest of society. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,594  
I thought 30 MPG was being generous.

And if you have better data then why not cite it rather than be argumentative? One answer which fits: you don’t want to believe what you are being shown.
Your reading comprehension continues, I asked in my post about rates of electricity in the other more populous , more expensive locations. I never challenged your 30 mpg. Wow please read slower maybe. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,595  
Im not so sure , I suspect their circle jerk would take much longer. :)
Dear lord...exact words my wife & I said when I read it to her!
2024_02_01_18.53.55.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,596  
I do have to comment on the EV vs ICE model discussed so much here, although I'm sure I'm on lots of ignore lists, those who are more "enlightened" here (but maybe they will sneak a peak) .
We're different than most ICE travelers since I pull into a station every 40 miles or so. That gives us a chance to do some calisthenics and go potty. After about 30 minutes or so we're back on the road, of course searching for a restaurant that gives away free gasoline...a gallon adds another 35-40 mile range.
An hour or so later time for another pit stop, again adding another gallon or so while emptying our bladders. I can make up some of our lost time with that 2 second 0-60 time though.
After that grueling 250 mile day time to find a motel that includes a gallon of free petrol.
I sleep well since I didn't even have to steer knowing although $60K was a lot to fork out I'm saving money and the planet simultaneously.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,597  
It is difficult to take anyone who is buying an EV to save the planet seriously. They are delusional.

i resent parasites who brag about their $10k tax credit. It is wrong for government to reward stupidity and incentivize manufacturers bringing crappy products to the market.

It is wrong to be funding an EV charging network on our interstate highways that benefits so few citizens.

There is so little that is right about EVs. Yet, I would buy one if it made sense. In the last year, EVs have made the possibility of that less likely In my lifetime.

The Tesla fans fail to appreciate that until the legacy automobile producers have earned their place in EVs, most Americans will not be traveling the EV highway.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,598  
The debate is only to clear up misconceptions and outright falsehoods that are based little to no experience with EV's.

Freaks? Where did the EV hurt you?
Sorry if freaks offended you. I should have used "lunatics" instead.

#14,599  
New Model Y refresh review. Looks pretty nice.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,600  
A friend is holding Tesla stock. He mentioned he was hoping they would establish a dividend in 2024. I told him there's no way that will happen and the best he can hope for is a buy back to boost share price. TSLA is now down for entries at 3 years, 2 years, and 1 year. Opinions?