Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,411  
I've read some owners won't take the car to one, due to concerns about damage to the batteries on a lift. I don't know if that is a valid concern, because I'm not a professional tire changer
Any competent shop will lift from the designated points fore and aft of the wheels on the door sill (or whatever it is called).

There are generic pucks to use as pads/buffers between car and lift.

But for some reason Discount Tire prefers to use floor jacks rather than the car lift.

Back in 2014-2015 I bought tires at TireRack's world HQ in South Bend IN for my Mercedes-Benz. Their service floor used nothing but floor jacks. Two guys would double-team a car, one on each side, and lift all 4 wheels off the ground. Then each would take the wheels off his side. Someone else would dismount the tires and inspect the rims. Another mounted tires and balanced. Then the original guys returned and mounted the wheels. The production line was quite a show.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,413  
It doesn't. But an EV is so quiet that tire road noise dominates. Can't bandaid that in the car so they address it in the tire.
Our Ford Edge Continental factory tires had foam inside. It came loose at about 20k miles and they couldn't be balanced after that. I suppose they could have been dismounted, glued and balanced but we just replaced them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,415  
No competition? I assume you are excluding Chinese companies when you make that statement.
What company in China do you know besides BYD that is not technically bankrupt?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,416  
What company in China do you know besides BYD that is not technically bankrupt?
Considering the Chinese Gov has for years been supporting the EV industry ( and any industry they strategically want to for that matter) your definition of bankrupt is moot. And so BYD and others will overcome any hurdles and tariffs they have to to meet their objectives to dominate. I can only imagine that if Tesla continues to slide that Musk will just sell to highest bidder ( China, Korea ?) his lack of loyalty to his customers and his employees is continually proven.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,417  
Considering the Chinese Gov has for years been supporting the EV industry ( and any industry they strategically want to for that matter) your definition of bankrupt is moot. And so BYD and others will overcome any hurdles and tariffs they have to to meet their objectives to dominate. I can only imagine that if Tesla continues to slide that Musk will just sell to highest bidder ( China, Korea ?) his lack of loyalty to his customers and his employees is continually proven.

We have been taught for years that loyalty means nothing in business...

Business is business or it's just business is what I hear so much just like when millions walked away from mortgages saying it's just a business decision.

I think the old ways of doing things with generations of leadership and sons following in their fathers footsteps is just about a relic of the past.

I see this everywhere with mergers and spinoffs to plants leaving California... companies that were founded in California and thrived here pulling up stakes and not looking back...

How often have we heard on TBN that an employer owes the employee nothing except payment for work performed... it's a business and not a charity?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,418  
What a powerful imagination you have? 🙂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,419  

An electric V-8 model.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,420  

An electric V-8 model.

I am sure that design if built would work Very well to reduce the transfer efficiency of charge to motion, compared to todays average EV...

Then again it may be more efficient than the hydrogen Toyota Mirai already...

Last edited: