Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,501  
I also find it unreasonable to use Norway as a good example of winter weather EV success......the majority of Norway is Ocean frontage and is tempered by the warm ocean beside them.
Well, at the coast line yes but if you live a bit from it temperatures in the -25 to -35C is very common.
Where I live it was many days in the -15 to -30 and the chargers did seem to work fine.

Some EVs did struggle in the -40 area but so did a lot of other ICE cars, been colder this winter than in many years.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,503  
Here is a population density map for the rest of us North Americans....seems like it makes my point , the majority of population lives in the warmer climes of within a small number of kilometers from coasts . It does remind a lot of our Atlantic provinces for wonderful looking landscapes.
Screenshot_20240316-133059_Samsung Internet.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,504  
One man did complain on his chinese MG EV, it did not start in -50C, Oslo had periods with near -30 this year, the biggest problem was EV busses that did not have enough range and too few charging stations for them in the bus garages.
I do think ICE cars struggle a lot more in the cold, of course range is reduced but that is to be expected and you can take action to compensate.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,505  
Second going forward plan I plan to have a world class FSD on my vehicle for local and coast to coast trips for the safety of humanity and animals.
You seem to have missed my unstated point. FSD is not battery car dependent.
Any manufacturer could make a FSD ICE, just as your beloved Tesla has. Today’s ICE vehicles have auto start, electronic brakes, electronic throttle, transmission, steering systems, sensors, cameras, radar, etc. All the self driving computer logic can be integrated into an ICE vehicle. The demand, just hasn’t been there for manufacturing to take it on.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,506  
Here is a population density map for the rest of us North Americans....seems like it makes my point , the majority of population lives in the warmer climes of within a small number of kilometers from coasts . It does remind a lot of our Atlantic provinces for wonderful looking landscapes. View attachment 857490
Of course the population is more at the coast as the landscape and the winter in the old times did make travel very difficult so the boat was the only choice of transport and travel.I live 80km from the capitol and the common winter temperature the last years have been -10 to -20, this year it went down to almost -30. When i was young it was common to be well below -30 in weeks, and this is not a particularly cold region, in the northern part of Norway its much colder. But as I understand it the chargers went offline in the cold?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,507  
I do think ICE cars struggle a lot more in the cold, of course range is reduced but that is to be expected.
I don’t think so.
Even the most upbeat battery car publications, acknowledge battery cars have a ways to go in technology, to be competitive with gasoline vehicles, in cold climates

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,508  
Some people simply don’t know how to properly maintain their engines… apparently you’re one of them
Gee, I never knew an ICE would last forever if only one "properly maintained". I must hang out on too many forums and have seen too many YouTube videos to have ever figured that out.

Friend got a free new engine in his Kia at 107,000 miles when it threw a rod. Guess he should have changed the oil every 1000 miles rather than 5000.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,509  
Of course the population is more at the coast as the landscape and the winter in the old times did make travel very difficult so the boat was the only choice of transport and travel.I live 80km from the capitol and the common winter temperature the last years have been -10 to -20, this year it went down to almost -30. When i was young it was common to be well below -30 in weeks, and this is not a particularly cold region, in the northern part of Norway its much colder. But as I understand it the chargers went offline in the cold?
Operator error. When one arrives with a cold battery the Supercharger will only supply enough for the battery heater. For a cold soaked battery that can take 30 minutes before it gets warm enough. More than enough time for ignorant operators to assume "the charger" is broken. And then the battery is still cold and can not take as fast of a charge without damage so it is limited to about 25% of the rate it might at ideal temperatures.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,510  
Gee, I never knew an ICE would last forever if only one "properly maintained". I must hang out on too many forums and have seen too many YouTube videos to have ever figured that out.

Friend got a free new engine in his Kia at 107,000 miles when it threw a rod. Guess he should have changed the oil every 1000 miles rather than 5000.
You’re always citing Kia’s and your 70’s-80’s ICE vehicles to recent battery cars.
Gee, that makes a great compelling comparison