Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,511  
I don’t think so.
Even the most upbeat battery car publications, acknowledge battery cars have a ways to go in technology, to be competitive with gasoline vehicles, in cold climates
Well, they seem to work fine in the cold, range get somewhat reduced but the cars do work but must be charged more often. The old EVs with minimal range is of course more challenging to use, an old Nissan leaf that had a very short range when it was new is not an ideal car in -30 after many years wear on the battery.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,512  
I don’t think so.
Even the most upbeat battery car publications, acknowledge battery cars have a ways to go in technology, to be competitive with gasoline vehicles, in cold climates
What would "upbeat battery car publications" do if they were not promising gooder and better stuff is coming "if only you stay glued to our reporting because we are the ones who will tell you what it is, why it is great, and when it is here!"

Hey! How about Car & Driver, Road & Track? Isn't every new car The Greatest Thing Ever! ???

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,513  
You’re always citing Kia’s and your 70’s-80’s ICE vehicles to recent battery cars.
Gee, that makes a great compelling comparison
OK, Ford 3.5 EcoBoost. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,514  
You seem to have missed my unstated point. FSD is not battery car dependent.
Any manufacturer could make a FSD ICE, just as your beloved Tesla has. Today’s ICE vehicles have auto start, electronic brakes, electronic throttle, transmission, steering systems, sensors, cameras, radar, etc. All the self driving computer logic can be integrated into an ICE vehicle. The demand, just hasn’t been there for manufacturing to take it on.
Yes the ICE death spiral cuts their desire to build on a fading platform.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,515  
Is the battery degradation mostly on miles driven or time. I figure if I bought a Tesla I would only drive it about 10,000 miles a year. Are there any charts that show this?
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/ would be the place to surf for such information.

Battery wear seems to be more of a function of how much time one spends at the upper and lower limits. Hence 90% was the original recommended daily charge, lately 80% is suggested if that doesn't deplete too far. That staying close to 50% results in almost no battery wear.

The LiFePO4 (also called lipo) chemistry Tesla is using in some models now tolerates 100% charge without accelerated wear. Still charges slower the higher it is charged but without the wear.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,516  
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/ would be the place to surf for such information.

Battery wear seems to be more of a function of how much time one spends at the upper and lower limits. Hence 90% was the original recommended daily charge, lately 80% is suggested if that doesn't deplete too far. That staying close to 50% results in almost no battery wear.

The LiFePO4 (also called lipo) chemistry Tesla is using in some models now tolerates 100% charge without accelerated wear. Still charges slower the higher it is charged but without the wear.
Thanks for confirming my point how range between charges is so much less than advertised ( besides impact on battery warranty )

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,517  
Charge rate too..no?
Charge only at fast chargers and you have a shorter lifespan from what I know

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,518  
The Y really worked out better than I expected this winter.
I enjoyed drinking coffee in the house selecting the interior temp and defrost on the phone and then getting in a car that was -10F and having heated seats steering wheel and a 72* interior.
Then driving away immediately with no cold blooded engine behavior, or waiting 10 miles for the heater to start to work.

Looks like spring is here so switched to the rubber band 21" wheels and summer tires.
Sure enough noticed some wear on all four tires on the Inner edges at 5500 miles.

I already miss the ride quality of the 18" winter tires. Have 18" Hankook summer tires incoming and going at some point to switch out the big rims.

Wife cringed when I told her I reinstalled the 21's and already made it clear she thinks the car rides "To Firm" with the Big wheels and tires, so I will be going to 18" wheels again soon. Have a feeling the 18"s are going to save some energy over the factory tires / wheels.
edit:
We ordered two different styles of seat padding to make the passenger seat more comfortable. problem is as soon as we drive off the car turns off her air bags which freaks her out as it should.
No solution other than better riding tires with some actual sidewall.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,519  
The NYT did get into another aspect of this, the lack of infrastructure in the U.S. While Norway, where nearly 25% of cars on the road are electric, is the easy comparison, the NYT article explains, "The majority of people in Norway live in houses, not apartments, and nearly 90 percent of electric vehicle owners have their own charging stations at home" — a key point, that.

An automaker association representative in the UK told the outlet, "the problem was less about the capacity of electric vehicles to run well in cold weather, and more about the inability to provide necessary infrastructure, like charging stations."

Yeah yeah yeah, The Ignorant can't get it out of their heads thinking EVs need gas stations just like ICE. "If only EVs had the infrastructure!"

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,520  

If Dodge made an electric car...​

Would it be called a Dodge Chargeable????