Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,522  
But your okay that your battery storage gets its lithuim etc mined in third world countries by children .....hmmm View attachment 857475
That is only because our Enlightened Globalist "Leaders" have gifted those markets to the 3rd world where China took over and enslaved the population.

Then again would you rather those children starve and die, or work as slaves?

The USA has sufficient reserves of cobalt, lithium, and the not-so-rare "Rare" Earths to meet our needs. We were once the world's supplier of such products.

On the other hand such alarmists would have us believe lithium, cobalt, etc, are consumables just like oil. Used raw EV batteries are a richer source of ore than any dug from the ground.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,523  
I don’t think so.
Even the most upbeat battery car publications, acknowledge battery cars have a ways to go in technology, to be competitive with gasoline vehicles, in cold climates
So true !! I live in Canadian North were temperatures of minus 20 Farenheit are common for our winters. I haven't plugged in my vehicle block heaters in years. I instead use synthetic oil always to maintain cold viscosity and have longer time between oil changes, and when I was in Florida for February the pickup truck parked in my driveway in the snowdrift had a tiny solar panel plugged into dash 12v aux. It started no problem of course. And it is ten years old with a 5 yr old battery. ICE drivers can easily defeat any cold weather hurdles. Worse case scenario a 5 minute boost is one neighbor away. .....now you will note I quoted temps in Farenheit , because unlike like my respected Norway TBN poster , I know the American Tesla owners don't understand Celsius temps .

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,524  
That is only because our Enlightened Globalist "Leaders" have gifted those markets to the 3rd world where China took over and enslaved the population.

Then again would you rather those children starve and die, or work as slaves?

The USA has sufficient reserves of cobalt, lithium, and the not-so-rare "Rare" Earths to meet our needs. We were once the world's supplier of such products.

On the other hand such alarmists would have us believe lithium, cobalt, etc, are consumables just like oil. Used raw EV batteries are a richer source of ore than any dug from the ground.
Your point again is moot.....because until the USA overcomes the mining hurdle ( if ever !) the EV mining needs will be from the lowest cost provider third world......oh and thanks so much for your magnanimous empathy for the children miner slaves.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,525  
You’re always citing Kia’s and your 70’s-80’s ICE vehicles to recent battery cars.
Gee, that makes a great compelling comparison
Oh, and how about the late 1990 to early 2000 Toyota 3.0L V6 sludgeing issues? Cylinder head temperatures were higher than most motor oil companies allowed for. If there was the slightest amount of moisture in the oil (there always is) it would gell, sludge, and clog the camshafts and valves under the valve covers. Eventually preventing proper lubrication. An early indicator was in how slowly new oil drained into the engine during an oil change. I had one. Neighbor had one.

Problem was mitigated using Mobil-1 but Toyota dealers used Toyota oil, which had problems.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,526  
Thanks for confirming my point how range between charges is so much less than advertised ( besides impact on battery warranty )
Didn't say that at all.

Fill your gas tank to half and your range will also be much less than advertised.

A EV battery can be filled to 100% so as to have that range when needed. No range "is less than advertised."

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,527  
Didn't say that at all.

Fill your gas tank to half and your range will also be much less than advertised.

A EV battery can be filled to 100% so as to have that range when needed. No range "is less than advertised."
Sure but your avoiding your statement that reccomended to charge to 80% ....especially at super chargers.....please pick a stance and stick to it, you and Trad's inconsistencies are rampant. No where in a ICE owners manual does it tell us only fill to 80 ( or 50 % like your above post) ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,529  
I’m betting my Tesla will outlast my Chevrolet Malibu I bought brand new in 2013 and had issue after issue until it wouldn’t run with 130k on the odometer.
My 2018 Mazda 3 burns about a quart of oil between oil changes.
Thank goodness for 8 yr/ 120k battery warranty on my Tesla.
That's interesting, just changed oil in 2018 Mazda3 with 70k miles and no oil usage after 5,000 miles. I've used generic full synthetic since I bought it with 20k on it. Paid $15k in 2020 I think.