Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,574  
Wow.
Not good

We had the same on a just out of warranty Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon at very slow speed hairpin turn coming down Mount Diablo in the SF Bay Area.

Later learned Oldsmobile redesigned for next model year a more robust part.

No abuse on our part… just the stress the suspension could not take on a banked hairpin turn.

Driven the same road many times with my Model A and never heard of any straight axle kingpin spindle ever separating…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,575  

I am glad Tesla as planned from the get go is becoming more working man/woman focused. A $25K Tesla is going to make the insurance companies happy since they prefer to total everything to reduce future liability claims.
Most of your "facts" seem to come from Youtube "influencers". Don't you have any reputable sources of information?
I totally get that you're a Musk fanboy to the extreme, but your cred here is in a death spiral. :ROFLMAO:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,576  
Funny. Same here. We use to have subscriptions to Consumer Reports and Texas monthly as well as National Geographic about 30 yrs ago.
All liberal rags.
"Liberal rags"? :ROFLMAO: Are you saying conservative rags are any better?

Don't disagree that CR is rather biased toward certain (mostly Japanese) make autos, so I take their rankings with a grain of salt (as I do everyone else's), but there's useful info there as well. Never heard of Texas monthly, and not sure what relevance NG has here.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,577  
We had the same on a just out of warranty Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon at very slow speed hairpin turn coming down Mount Diablo in the SF Bay Area.

Later learned Oldsmobile redesigned for next model year a more robust part.

No abuse on our part… just the stress the suspension could not take on a banked hairpin turn.

Driven the same road many times with my Model A and never heard of any straight axle kingpin spindle ever separating…
You’re talking about a 70’s design.
Today’s computer 3D modeling includes sophisticated stress modeling and stress analysis. If it’s an issue of vendors not using the specified materials or heat treatments, then it’s a failure on specifications, and lack of incoming parts inspection. Either way, this kind of failure shouldn’t be happening today

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,578  
But ICE folklore teaches one to fill before 1/4 tank "because the fuel pump will overheat and burn out if you do not."

Either way the capacity is there for one to use, if one chooses to.
Strawman argument.....so one model of ICE over 1000s of models has a fuel pump issue and you compare it to the " manufacturer's recommendation" to only charge to 80 % for speed of charge and cost impacts ( and delays at manufacturers charge unit....that is a ridiculous straw argument. You can do better at deception than that !!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,579  
My most dependable hardest working loaded way over the max and on property towing trailers of dirt and firewood is a Japanese car Consumer reports killed in the United States...

My Suzuki Samurai...

It is one tough son of a gun with 130,000 hard miles with only a clutch disk and $17 bearing in the gear case at 99k miles.

Absolute bottom of the barrel ratings by Consumer Reports... go figure?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,580  
You’re talking about a 70’s design.
Today’s computer 3D modeling includes sophisticated stress modeling and stress analysis. This kind of failure shouldn’t be happening today

It shouldn't but garbage in garbage out was the word in the engineering lab...

Some case studies back when I was a student showed the difference between a "Quality" part fit for the application and one with "Early or High" failure is pennies per part.

I believe the olds was traced to the heat treating during manufacture...

It was literally 5 mph with the body torqued and then down on the pavement the right front we were.

4 adults and 5 kids returning home after a day of hiking...

Years ago the road was used once each year for SCCA road rally hill climb and back...

Park ranger said if it happens it's always here... banked hairpin turn.