Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,601  
Strawman argument.....so one model of ICE over 1000s of models has a fuel pump issue and you compare it to the " manufacturer's recommendation" to only charge to 80 % for speed of charge and cost impacts ( and delays at manufacturers charge unit....that is a ridiculous straw argument. You can do better at deception than that !!
You don't understand the term, "ICE folklore".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,602  
Many battery car publications say to avoid supercharging, if you don’t want to reduce the lifespan of your very expensive battery. Not a very pleasant thought if you ask me.
Keeping the battery in the 20-80% range when Supercharging will impart little additional wear. In battery terminology the Supercharger never hits the cells with more than 3C and only for short very controlled periods.

During normal driving the Tesla slams the battery pretty hard during regeneration.

You can fill up your gas tank in under 5 minutes, and not have to worry you just shortened the lifespan of a $15k component.
You seem to know all about "shortening the lifespan of a $15k component" so please elucidate: Quantify the shortening? Exactly how much of the $15k is consumed during one Supercharge? And if this "shortening" is as significant as you imply (but do not document) then why is the Tesla warranty not shortened for those heavily using Superchargers?

What we do know is running the battery between 90-100% and 0-10% is very hard on it no matter what.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,603  
I saw that also
2024_03_17_15.29.36.jpg
2024_03_17_15.29.11.jpg
2024_03_17_15.36.26.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,604  
Keeping the battery in the 20-80% range when Supercharging will impart little additional wear. In battery terminology the Supercharger never hits the cells with more than 3C and only for short very controlled periods.

During normal driving the Tesla slams the battery pretty hard during regeneration.

You seem to know all about "shortening the lifespan of a $15k component" so please elucidate: Quantify the shortening? Exactly how much of the $15k is consumed during one Supercharge? And if this "shortening" is as significant as you imply (but do not document) then why is the Tesla warranty not shortened for those heavily using Superchargers?

What we do know is running the battery between 90-100% and 0-10% is very hard on it no matter what.
Hmmm here is two links, one is even the Tesla Owners club site......they all claim degradation.....eg 5% first year and 1% each year after....and how supercharger will reduce the current to protect the cells ( so lengthen your wait , but to get into habit of 80%.....or always " charge at home " ...in my book that means don't stray from home use ICE for long trips....also had a apartment owner on that site dealing with no charger options....hmm more common than we thought eh. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/how-much-degradation-with-100-supercharging.230047/ ......

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,605  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,608  
Sounds like an opportunity for those in love with the gas station model to pick up some.

Actually over the past week , us EV realists have already proven that the EV owners need the " gas station" model more than us ICE drivers..... at least if you need to drive overnight away from your home. .....or your other solution is to have a second vehicle (ICE) that you use for long trips or towing etc ..... that also requires the gas station model. Hmmmmm

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,609  
Sounds like an opportunity for those in love with the gas station model to pick up some.

You seem to be an ICE hater.
Show us pictures of your battery powered tractor.
If you have a scooter or motorcycle, I’m assuming those are battery powered too.

All your family vehicles must be battery powered I would hope.

I’m trying to figure out how someone like you, who grew up with all the benefits of a fossil fuel powered country, seem to be fine with enjoying the benefits, but take every waking minute of the day, acting like you enjoy portraying yourself as not needing it

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,610  
In battery terminology the Supercharger never hits the cells with more than 3C and only for short very controlled periods.

Exactly. You just stated a fact of the Tesla supercharger propaganda Film-Flam.

If you haven’t preconditioned your batteries, if you’re below 20%, if you’re above 80%, if you’re in a hot environment, and on and on… the DC fast charger will either charge only briefly at the 3C rate, or not at 3C at all.
Your Tesla will throttle back the charge rate to minimize the cell degradation that would otherwise occur if you actually were 3C charging.

Looks impressive though, doesn’t it, seeing the cars hooked up to supercharger stations?
Uniformed people don’t know their charge rate is actually throttled.

As far as your question to me about statistics of actual charging at 3C rate battery degradation …., as you would say… look it up. Easy to find on the internet. There’s a famous study without throttling that showed 27% degradation vs 23% for level 2.

That’s a 17% faster loss of capacity. I’d be worried about that on a $15k battery

Last edited: