Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,802  
I for one wish Tesla had done more of a standard style SUV.
Ditto. Had the Y been more of a Subaru Outback I would have bought one earlier rather than later.

Quite the bulge, Tire ruined?
Hit something the size of a brick on I-65 in southern Indiana during a heavy rain. Didn't stop, carefully watched TPMS for warning (didn't have PSI display). Continued to my destination about 150 miles. Was flat the next morning and wouldn't hold air more than 10 miles. 255/50-19.

I have bent a couple rims over the years . Had some Blizzak winter tires come completely apart as well.
Fortunately didn't bend the rim.

These low profile tires are a Fad that the younger generation is really into.
And California Metrosexuals.

Received the summer 18" tires I want to run, hopefully they are efficient compared to the 21's. They are Hankook's I wanted the Ion series which several people are posting watt hour down into very low 200's at highway speeds.
Wow, that is good! I'm getting low 200's around town.

Some have even broke into the high 190's watt hour mile (Model 3 Performance)
Being cheap I am trying the less expensive Ventus Hankook Evo 2's which have the same silica style low rolling resistance rubber but no sound absorbing foam inside.
Is called "being frugal". One has to try the lesser expensive options to know when the more expensive is worth it.

I was able to get a staggered set of four for under $700 with outer diameter almost identical to the stock Michelins.
My Long Range wears 255/45-19 on all 4 corners.

To buy just 2 of the rear 21" Michelins on ebay is ~ $865.
OE Pirelli is $420/each at TireRack/Discount Tire.

If the ride were better I would keep driving on the 21's. Some posts mention Tesla Is now installing Hankook tires from the factory on some model 3's
Interesting. 10 years ago coworker put Hankook tires on his wife's Honda Accord. They didn't just dislike the tires, they hated them. Threw them away after 5,000 miles and bought another set of Michelin they knew and loved.

The tire pictured from my ML-320 was Michelin. A bit of uneven wear, was on the car when I bought used. Replaced with Continental of some forgotten model. Rolled nicer but just didn't feel the same. Don't know what I would have done when that set wore out, traded the car for a Subaru before reaching that point.

2016 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler tires. I didn't know how bad they were until replaced with Discount Tire unique Yokohama CTX. The least expensive the store had in stock, among the best in specs. Transformed the car. Very happy.

Parents liked my 2016 Outback so much they bought a 2017. Years pass, my nephew has their Outback, and recently the other nephew bought mine. My brother drove mine 500 miles home and commented about the difference because the 2017 still has OE Bridgestone tires. But not for long.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,805  
No they are trying to get at apples to apples. So overall a vehicle manufacturer needs to hit a certain mpg target for all vehicles they deliver. If a truck is 20 mpg and a EV is 80, the average is 50 mpg…. if the ratings are going down by 50%, let’s say today the average is 30 mpg overall. To meet the new mark it would need to be 45 mpg overall.
If that is the way the regulation does the math then government can not do math.

Lets say one drives 100 miles at 20 MPG, uses 5 gallons. Then on the return trip gets 50 MPG for 2 gallons consumed. Total 7 gallons, 200 miles, 28.6 MPG.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,806  
Is that all you got?
Well, there is the electric service upgrade and the cost of installing the electric outlet to plug in the hair trimmer.

Plus there are all of those renters who do not have electric utility service at all.

Clearly, electric hair trimmers are impractical.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,807  
Tesla promised the $40,000 Cybertruck would come out in 2019. The first production models came out in December 2023 for $80,000. Let's see if history repeats itself.
If you were around in the early days there was a concept known as, "Tesla Time". It isn't the same as the time on your watch or the days passing on your calendar.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,808  
The Federal Reserve announcement today of 3 probable future rate cuts had absolutely nothing to do with it.
Anyone think had they announced rate increases the Market would be Up today?
The Fed isn't going to cut but maybe once just before the election in November.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,809  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,810