Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,761  
The RAMCHARGER but not available till the 2025 release

Translation? The All-New 2025 Ramcharger delivers a Best-in-Class Targeted 690 total miles of Range
( Disclosure2)
and is set to be a game changer in the world of electric pickup trucks.

TARGETED BEST-IN-CLASS DRIVING RANGE (MILES)
( Disclosure20)
TARGETED TOTAL HORSEPOWER
( Disclosure21)
TARGETED TOTAL TORQUE (LB-FT)
( Disclosure21)
TARGETED 0-60 MPH (SEC)
( Disclosure21)
TARGETED BEST-IN-CLASS MAXIMUM PAYLOAD CAPACITY (LB)
( Disclosure22)
TARGETED BEST-IN-CLASS MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY (LB)
( Disclosure22)

My guess is Ford is right behind, and GM is still way behind when they could already OWN this category by upscaling the Volt system . Instead they killed it.
I am genuinely concerned about pickup's and off road vehicles that have battery cells on the bottom, when a puncture could be thermal run-away and a fiery death for the vehicle. Not even a puncture, but a dent or bend.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,762  
Definitely a consideration.
We have two diesel HD trucks and not in the market for an EV/ Hybrid truck.

There are batteries that pass a nail puncture test.

Wrangler 4XE will be put to off road use, not sure what battery type or how they protect it, but ...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,763  
What the heck? So is this going to be like a diesel locomotive only powered by gasoline? What kind of mileage could that possibly get? I'm confused :unsure:

Interesting that is the one spec they completely Ignore isn't it?
Reddit has some conversation on this. Time will tell

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,764  
This has to be mostly driven by CAFE standards. If a person is able to plug in their truck, partially maintain the battery with the gas engine and manage 690 miles on a charge/fill then they can claim some high MPG I guess. I wonder how big the gas tank is to get this many miles. Let's say it's 24 gallons. Do you suppose they could claim almost 29 MPG in that case. It seems like RAM lawyers and accountants have about as much to do with this as the engineers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,765  
This has to be mostly driven by CAFE standards. If a person is able to plug in their truck, partially maintain the battery with the gas engine and manage 690 miles on a charge/fill then they can claim some high MPG I guess. I wonder how big the gas tank is to get this many miles. Let's say it's 24 gallons. Do you suppose they could claim almost 29 MPG in that case. It seems like RAM lawyers and accountants have about as much to do with this as the engineers.

I have been wondering the same.

The truck could pick up a lot of the wasted energy with regen braking in hilly country, but still has to carry the battery weight at all times .
I guess the V6 they are using has a very flat torque curve down to almost 1400 RPM so that will help
Also If RAM uses a heat pump they can utilize a lot of the heat energy.
I have wondered why Hybrids do not use a large peltier say mounted to an exhaust manifold used in reverse as a battery charger as well when the engine is running and radiating heat after off. Probably to low of efficiency versus cost.
It should be a good truck if they can really push up the MPG without stopping to recharge.

It has a decent sized battery so they will want level 3 charging ability.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,766  
Near the end of the video, the guy explains the gasoline engine is hooked up to a 130kw generator. He specifically states there’s no mechanical connection between the engine and the wheels
They spec a 50 mile battery only range, so during times when you’re not traveling far you could possibly run on just plug in charging, and not even use the engine, but the guy says in the video the gasoline engine “charges all the time “, so there’s some uncertainty here.
Since the engine is only driving a generator, they should be able to tune the engine to a specific high efficiency rpm. Not sure if it’ll have an annoying drone sound though

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,767  
I'm betting it's also priced outside the means of most people. As we pump money into the system to subsidize these purchases, we also kick the inflation can further down the road.
Now it seems apparent 2025 will be when we see rates cut... Because inflation will still be a problem.

We keep writing checks to ourselves, while screwing our kids and grandkids with debt and inflation that they won't overcome. Your EV won't save them from the fiscal cliff we drive ourselves off of.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,769  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,770  
Last edited: